Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Terrorist attack in Barcelona

Terrorist attack in Barcelona

Old Aug 18th 2017, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrorist attack in Barcelona

Statistics can prove or disprove whatever one wants them to do. We can't ignore terrorism and those that wish us harm we need to be aware if we can be of where to avoid. I doubt the families and friends of those caught up in this or any other attack will be comforted by statistics.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Yet, by the numbers alone, the percentage of Christians who've engage in acts of religious violence far outnumber those of Muslims.

Frankly, I don't see it as a problem with one religion or another, it's a problem of radicals vs. moderates.
Not these days, they don't. You may be talking about religious wars among Christians up to the Thirty Years war, give or take, but not since then.
The 1st world war & the 2nd were wholesale slaughter wars, but not in the name of Christianity.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
There are just as many Muslim scholars who will contradict your assertion.
No one on here is an expert in 8th century Arabic, are they, are you ?
The nutters in Charlottesville also use distorted religious beliefs to justify their philosophies.
The problem with the Quran is that it hasn't changed since it was written. You don't need to be an expert in 8th century Arabic to be able to read it. It's available in English & all the world's languages.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Very sad to hear and I think we should just stop mentioning religion here. In reality it has nothing to do with religion, or let's stay most people who kill just have a so called religion on paper but it has nothing to do with that.
Rubbish; it has everything to do with religion, at least from the perpetrators' point of view. It's written in black & white in the Quran. Most Muslims do not act in such a violent way, but the radical few do.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 10:32 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

My cousin was killed by a drunk driver. The driver served some time in jail, but nobody blasted it across the airwaves worldwide and elevated the bastard to sensational status. If you think that was comforting for the family, I can assure you, it wasn't.

Terrorists, however, can be assured of getting their cause heard. And all it takes is to scream "Allah Akbar" while driving through a crowd, pressing the detonator, or pulling the trigger.

I'm not blaming anyone for anything, but lets keep it in perspective. What happened there was just as tragic as a drunk driver, an earthquake, a tsunami... cancer...

When people react with fear, saying, "it's just not safe anymore", well, I have news for you; life never was "safe". And a handful of nutters engaging in this sort of thing doesn't make it any less safe. But it does elevate their cause to sensational status ...
Old Aug 18th 2017, 11:25 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
The problem with the Quran is that it hasn't changed since it was written. You don't need to be an expert in 8th century Arabic to be able to read it. It's available in English & all the world's languages.
How many versions have the bible are there.The Torah, Buddhist tracts.
Some still follow versions from centuries ago or much longer.
The Qur'an is only ever read in Arabic in mosques
It is only learned by devout Muslims in Arabic.
Some think that the Quran bans alcohol when the literal translation is that it is the love of alcohol that is wrong.
If your interpretation was correct then the every devout muslim would be out in the streets around the world attacking us and would have been for 1300 years.

Tiny minorities in every religion misinterpret their beliefs for more reasons than we would have time to discuss if we took a year to do it..

Last edited by EMR; Aug 18th 2017 at 11:32 am.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
When people react with fear, saying, "it's just not safe anymore", well, I have news for you; life never was "safe". And a handful of nutters engaging in this sort of thing doesn't make it any less safe. But it does elevate their cause to sensational status ...
Very sorry to hear of the tragic loss of your cousin, I didn't wish to make my comment personal.
My point was yes I agree a very large number of people are killed every day accidentally fact. But these are accidents (I do not include those that drink and drive and kill as they made a conscious decision as to drink and amount they drank). If people break the law then the justice system is supposed to sentence accordingly sometimes good sentencing does give some little comfort to families at least seeing some form of justice done. Terrorism is different to accidents as it is willfull more often than not killing i.e. murder pre planned, it does not just include civilian victims but police Military etc, how many police/military died dealing with IRA terrorism? I do not say overstate the threat to the public but they do need to be aware of risk and areas etc more at risk, it is then down to them without over reaction say what events areas they attend, everyone will have their own measure of risk to themselves or their family. I do see your point that over reaction by the media does fuel the terrorists warped case. But authorities and to some extent media have a responsibility to make the public aware of increased risk to their safety.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Rubbish; it has everything to do with religion, at least from the perpetrators' point of view. It's written in black & white in the Quran. Most Muslims do not act in such a violent way, but the radical few do.
Call it religion if you like. In reality you can't even define this as a religion/or define religion in general and most of these killers are just members of a gang. Many people who kill have a so called religion on paper. Your neighbour could have a religion on paper, murder people and probably never even entered a place of worship.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EMR
How many versions have the bible are there.The Torah, Buddhist tracts.
Some still follow versions from centuries ago or much longer.
The Qur'an is only ever read in Arabic in mosques
It is only learned by devout Muslims in Arabic.
Some think that the Quran bans alcohol when the literal translation is that it is the love of alcohol that is wrong.
If your interpretation was correct then the every devout muslim would be out in the streets around the world attacking us and would have been for 1300 years.

Tiny minorities in every religion misinterpret their beliefs for more reasons than we would have time to discuss if we took a year to do it..
[/LIST]Yes, there are various versions of the bible, whether it's for Mormons,Jehovah's Witnesses, Catholics (The Jerusalem bible) or Protestants. None practise stoning for adultery,etc. Christ turned that thinking on its head. "Turn the other cheek", "love your enemies" etc.[LIST]
Yes, whilst the Quran is read in Arabic in mosques, there are more Muslims who do not understand it than there are who do. Most Iranians do not know Arabic. [LIST] No, not every devout Muslim. They have decided to reject the violence.

I believe all this violence is God's wake up call for us to stop & think about our society; we are no longer the Christian society we might believe we are.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Call it religion if you like. In reality you can't even define this as a religion/or define religion in general and most of these killers are just members of a gang. Many people who kill have a so called religion on paper. Your neighbour could have a religion on paper, murder people and probably never even entered a place of worship.
True.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 12:30 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

[/LIST]Yes, there are various versions of the bible, whether it's for Mormons,Jehovah's Witnesses, Catholics (The Jerusalem bible) or Protestants. None practise stoning for adultery,etc. Christ turned that thinking on its head. "Turn the other cheek", "love your enemies" etc.[LIST]
Yes, whilst the Quran is read in Arabic in mosques, there are more Muslims who do not understand it than there are who do. Most Iranians do not know Arabic. [LIST] No, not every devout Muslim. They have decided to reject the violence.

I believe all this violence is God's wake up call for us to stop & think about our society; we are no longer the Christian society we might believe we are.
God or Allah or Buddah or the Great purple rabbit if that is who you worship has got SFA to do with the horrors we inflict on each other..
Old Aug 18th 2017, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EMR
God or Allah or Buddah or the Great purple rabbit if that is who you worship has got SFA to do with the horrors we inflict on each other..
As the great 17th century French mathematician, Blaise Pascal once said: "Humans never do evil so completely & cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction".
And more up to date, C.S. Lewis, an atheist turned great Christian writer, said:
"Of all bad men, religious bad men are the worst".
I'll say no more.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

OTA63 is an unknown quantity at this point

These acts should not be attributed to any religion. That is just an excuse to slaughter/maim innocent people by people who have no regard for human life. To call it a religious act is to give it credence. There can be no reason or excuse for such acts.
We have to try and carry on with our lives and not let "people" win. Almost impossible I know for those who have been hurt and their families.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 5:55 pm
EMR
Banned

As the great 17th century French mathematician, Blaise Pascal once said: "Humans never do evil so completely & cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction".
And more up to date, C.S. Lewis, an atheist turned great Christian writer, said:
"Of all bad men, religious bad men are the worst".
I'll say no more.
Congirming that the evil comes from mankind not the religion.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

In my previous life, I had the honour to be on Nelson Mandelas convoy team during the European Summit. The most charismatic man I have met (I am aware of his background by the way). Obama has a World record 'tweet' but it is Mandelas work:

"No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin or his background or his religion..."

Terrorists are not BORN terrorists, they are made so by other people, whether its by distorting religion, morals or the truth. I have seen hatred in the absolutely rawest form actually on UK territory, one intelligent man can stir up hundreds of unintelligent people...................... even millions. Hitler, Stalin, Karadzic, Koresh, Martin Webster in the 80's, etc. etc.

Its absolutely dreadful what has happened in Barcelona and elsewhere, how do you stop someone who wants to die more than anyone else wants to live? Dreadful, savage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.