Reload this Page >

Taking a Spanish car to England

Taking a Spanish car to England

Old Oct 13th 2016, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Expat79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking a Spanish car to England

Originally Posted by missile
I did nothing when I took my Spanish registered A3 across the channel.
Really? Did you have a Spanish license when you took it over? Was your license or documentation checked at any of the boarders along the way?
Old Oct 13th 2016, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Expat79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

Have done the journey many times over the last five years; both in my car and driving someone else's car. Indeed I returned through the tunnel with a dog just a fortnight ago.

I am British and have a Spanish driving licence; I have never had any problems. Always make sure if going TO the UK that you have visited a vet in the requisite period. Coming back "no-one cares"!!!

I don't have headlight adjusters but don't tend to drive of a night. We make "comfort breaks" every couple of hours to let the dogs do their business as they wish and to give the only driver a break. Spanish & French hotels are good and cheap, UK hotels are expensive and crap by comparison. We use toll roads and 100€ covers the return journey.

We tend to have snacks on board as finding suitable food is not always easy.

Davexf
That's very helpful information, thanks Has your license or car documentation checked at any of the boarders along the way?

I have my dog already booked in for the vets The to soon or to late thing with the vaccination is something I've been advised on by quite a few people.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 2:01 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat79
Really? Did you have a Spanish license when you took it over? Was your license or documentation checked at any of the boarders along the way?
It wouldn't matter if he had a UK licence or a Spanish one - they are both equally valid (in all probability).
Old Oct 13th 2016, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad
Old Oct 13th 2016, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

You need to speak to your vet before you go re documentation, I assume the dog has a passport is chipped etc, speak to the vet sooner rather than later re details, You don't need to do anything coming back, Taken our dog a few times.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 6:35 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

That's very helpful information, thanks Has your license or car documentation checked at any of the boarders along the way?

I have my dog already booked in for the vets The to soon or to late thing with the vaccination is something I've been advised on by quite a few people.
Hola,

No no-one has ever checked my documentation. However I wouldn't expect them to check unless I am involved in an accident or similar. Remember that if you are driving someone else's car without them being present, then they will automatically suspect you of stealing the car so have a paper with their permission

Davexf
Old Oct 13th 2016, 7:13 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I did nothing when I took my Spanish registered A3 across the channel.
Same here.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 2:23 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I had Spanish licence and Spanish registered LHD car. My passport was checked by customs both ways, so it was obvious I was a Brit driving Spanish car. No one asked to check my license or documents.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 3:55 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Customs are not interested in whether you have a licence - that's a police matter.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 5:57 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Would the checking be a issue for you ?
Old Oct 19th 2016, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

The point is that there are regulations as regards driving a foreign car in the UK. I have a German registered car and as with others I do nothing as regards headlights, driving licences etc. But, I do know that if something untoward happens I can't plead ignorance as an excuse and have to abide by whatever results.
It is a personal thing as to what you feel the degree of risk is.