Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

::Taking a boat from UK to Spain (Mallorca)::

::Taking a boat from UK to Spain (Mallorca)::

Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:41 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ::Taking a boat from UK to Spain (Mallorca)::

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
only you could find a map of u-boats!
I just googled bay of biscay ;-)
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:43 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
its a private sale crispy , cheap as the guy needs a quick sale , and i wont be over there for ages . So will be here with me , then taken over as i go over ..
So will it still be a good deal if you have to pay someone megga bucks to take it over?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:46 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
So will it still be a good deal if you have to pay someone megga bucks to take it over?
To be honest once he has paid the fortune in fuel bills it will be cheaper to have it driven to Barcelona, or even to buy one in Spain!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
If the weather doesn`t get you then maybe you will get snagged on one of the 63 U-boats
What are the red dots, the ones that are still active! ! ? ?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonsol
What are the red dots, the ones that are still active! ! ? ?
Funny but the dont list them ones.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:19 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Totally off topic, but my father in law was a submariner in WW2, and was "sunk" in an engagement off Italy. They managed to get out of the submarine somehow using buckets & stuff over their heads and swim up to the surface. Then spent several months roaming around italy before being caught and put in a POW camp. Had to mention it, as the story always amazed me.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:26 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
If you sail it over, it gets a bit dodgy when you do a left round the top of Spain and the water from the Irish sea meets the Channel and the big bit of water. ;-(

http://bestsmileys.com/water/12.gif .....Bay of Biscay...... http://bestsmileys.com/water/16.gif
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:36 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Yep reckon so , its about 9k underpriced
Guys going through a divorce he says needs cash under the counter so the soon to be ex mrs dont know

Must admit the idea of some strangers driving the boat overs a bit worrying what if it just dont get there ? and they sold the bugger ? how would i ever find them

Reckon i am going to have to either forget the idea , or buy a cheapo one when over i guess . its just such a good buy and love the idea of reupholstering , fixing the little broken bits and stuff. and bringing it up to spec .

So will see what road haulage costs would be and then decide ..

Mitzy wow what a good story , reckon thats quick thinking bucket upside down gives them air enough to get to the top
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:41 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Guys going through a divorce he says needs cash under the counter so the soon to be ex mrs dont know

Must admit the idea of some strangers driving the boat overs a bit worrying what if it just dont get there ? and they sold the bugger ? how would i ever find them

Reckon i am going to have to either forget the idea , or buy a cheapo one when over i guess . its just such a good buy and love the idea of reupholstering , fixing the little broken bits and stuff. and bringing it up to spec .

Mitzy wow what a good story , reckon thats quick thinking bucket upside down gives them air enough to get to the top
Shipping is quite reasonable mate, oh and I wouldn't worry about them taking the boat, registration is pretty comprehensive now.

If I can find the number of the guys who quoted us for a 65ft wooden sloop I will PM you it.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:19 pm
Banned

Shipping is quite reasonable mate, oh and I wouldn't worry about them taking the boat, registration is pretty comprehensive now.

If I can find the number of the guys who quoted us for a 65ft wooden sloop I will PM you it.
yea thats good of you appreciate that
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice

How certain are you that the " seller " is really the owner, never mind about it getting stolen by a haulage guy.............think it would be safer, and easier to buy one to " do up " when you get to Spain..
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 12:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jonsol
How certain are you that the " seller " is really the owner, never mind about it getting stolen by a haulage guy.............think it would be safer, and easier to buy one to " do up " when you get to Spain..
hmmmmm a good point ?

Do boats have log books or anything anyone know ?

thanks for that jonsol , a valid point .
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 8:32 am
Straw Man.

hmmmmm a good point ?

Do boats have log books or anything anyone know ?

thanks for that jonsol , a valid point .
almost impossible to do now days mate, they will all have to be registered to be insured and have a ticket so if they don't own it a very simple search with Lloyds will come up with the legal owners.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of

almost impossible to do now days mate, they will all have to be registered to be insured and have a ticket so if they don't own it a very simple search with Lloyds will come up with the legal owners.
Pete, if you would like a bit of unbiased advice from an old salt.

1) If you live in the UK and wont be in Spain for a while do it up there. It will be easier to get bits and closr to home so easier all round.
2) Unless you are experienced do NOT sail it down to Spain. 24feet, outboards very small and the ocean is big. Trust me I have sailed across the bay and down here many times. can be good but can be pretty horrid too.
3) Buy a trailer and tow it down. Depends of course on the weight and if you have a suitable vehicle. Over 750 kgs trailer all up wieght means brakes and things so check the rules carefully.
4)Best deal get a yachting mag look for transport in the back and see if you can get a one way load. May save some costs.
5) Finally when she is seaworthy and safe enought to cross the channel why not go through the French canals. You will exit arouns Sete and can then coast hop down the coast of Spain to Barcelona or Valencia and by then will have enough expereince to makee the short hop to the Balearics. You will find lots of offers of crewing through the canals and this is a lovely trip with plenty of chances to stop and enjoy some local scenery.

Re registration. This is not compulsory in the UK unless the boat is going abroad. So it might be difficult to check provenance. If you are worried ask for any paperwork and around where the boat is stored. The yard manager, if it is in one, should also know. If not registered or if you do buy and want to register this is dead easy, costs about £20 and can be done on line check out the MCA.

I hope this is helpful but I would be hesistant to take a small outboard powered motorboat on any long trip out of sight of land without being very sure of it's reliablility and my own abilities!

BTW do you know what make and model sh is? (Not Crispy girl the boat!)
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 9:40 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by finca steve
Pete, if you would like a bit of unbiased advice from an old salt.

1) If you live in the UK and wont be in Spain for a while do it up there. It will be easier to get bits and closr to home so easier all round.
2) Unless you are experienced do NOT sail it down to Spain. 24feet, outboards very small and the ocean is big. Trust me I have sailed across the bay and down here many times. can be good but can be pretty horrid too.
3) Buy a trailer and tow it down. Depends of course on the weight and if you have a suitable vehicle. Over 750 kgs trailer all up wieght means brakes and things so check the rules carefully.
4)Best deal get a yachting mag look for transport in the back and see if you can get a one way load. May save some costs.
5) Finally when she is seaworthy and safe enought to cross the channel why not go through the French canals. You will exit arouns Sete and can then coast hop down the coast of Spain to Barcelona or Valencia and by then will have enough expereince to makee the short hop to the Balearics. You will find lots of offers of crewing through the canals and this is a lovely trip with plenty of chances to stop and enjoy some local scenery.

Re registration. This is not compulsory in the UK unless the boat is going abroad. So it might be difficult to check provenance. If you are worried ask for any paperwork and around where the boat is stored. The yard manager, if it is in one, should also know. If not registered or if you do buy and want to register this is dead easy, costs about £20 and can be done on line check out the MCA.

I hope this is helpful but I would be hesistant to take a small outboard powered motorboat on any long trip out of sight of land without being very sure of it's reliablility and my own abilities!

BTW do you know what make and model sh is? (Not Crispy girl the boat!)

Is that far off what I said?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.