Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain the New Home

Spain the New Home

Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

richiec is just really nicerichiec is just really nicerichiec is just really nicerichiec is just really nicerichiec is just really nicerichiec is just really nicerichiec is just really nicerichiec is just really nicerichiec is just really nice
Default Spain the New Home

Hiya everyone,

I'm new on board and I'm in the UK. I want to ask a question, which I am sure is very popular.

I'm interested in moving to Spain.....However, firstly I would like to know what the chances are of getting a job, with no Spanish?

Also average living costs for different areas? So it would be great of you if you could tell me where you are and your average expenses!

I would imagine the coasts would be easier to find work without knowing the language, but I would like to live in Sevilla

Cheers
Old Apr 20th 2007, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

BriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spain the New Home

Welcome to the forum.
1. Chances of getting a job with no Spanish?
Slim to no chance unless you are in a high expat area and I wouldn’t think Sevilla comes into that category!
If you are moving to a more "Spanish" area then have enough euros to take a year out and immerse yourself in the local community and learn the lingo.
2. Average cost of living? Well I’m a TOG (tight old git) and we survive on €500 a month. That excludes any rent/mortgage. That is for 2 people and a beautiful GSD. We live in what can only be described as a rural area. Its Extremadura, about 3 hours by road north of Seville.
As I’ve said I’m a bit careful with the old €€€ and you may well find €500 as a low figure. Living here can be cheap but there aren’t many jobs. We are in our 40’s and have decided to retire early.
Best bit of advice I can give you is rent before you buy. Spend some time in your chosen area “living” and see what it’s really like before you commit your budget.
Good luck in your search.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 9:09 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richiec
Hiya everyone,

I'm new on board and I'm in the UK. I want to ask a question, which I am sure is very popular.

I'm interested in moving to Spain.....However, firstly I would like to know what the chances are of getting a job, with no Spanish?

Also average living costs for different areas? So it would be great of you if you could tell me where you are and your average expenses!

I would imagine the coasts would be easier to find work without knowing the language, but I would like to live in Sevilla

Cheers
Hi richie welcome to the forum ,a lot of this you can find in the top FREE BEER advice section .

I cant help on what areas are cheaper etc, but a lot of others will soon be along to tell you .
Old Apr 20th 2007, 9:11 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

And theres nothing stopping you learning spanish. So whilst youre planning your move also start taking spanish lessons or teach it yourself. The michele thomas spanish cds are very good. Youre not going to become fluent overnight but at least knowing a bit and showing that youre trying the spanish will go a long way.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

We live in rural Sevilla (not the city) and I would say the chances of getting a job without any Spanish are virtually zero.

As to living costs, the two of us live very well on €200 per week inc all bills but no rent/mortgage.

or dog

Last edited by big wheels; Apr 20th 2007 at 11:49 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

richiec is just really nicerichiec is just really nicerichiec is just really nicerichiec is just really nicerichiec is just really nicerichiec is just really nicerichiec is just really nicerichiec is just really nicerichiec is just really nice

Well it looks hard...but it is probably easier than I think...but still hard....I have my eye on a few places though, like France and Cyprus!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:20 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Well it looks hard...but it is probably easier than I think...but still hard....I have my eye on a few places though, like France and Cyprus!
French dont like us !!
And Cyprus is so far away !!

Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to work in real estate sales you don't really need any Spanish and there's always vacancies on the coasts.

Wonder why there are are so many vacancies for real estate sale....hmmmm....?

The coasts aren't cheap. We personally couldn't live on €200 Euros per week, let alone €500 per month. But then again, it depends on what lifestyle you are after.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya everyone,

... but I would like to live in Sevilla

Cheers
Hi,
For a rainy Sunday, like today:
http://www.exploreseville.com/index.htm
You might know of this already?
Regards,
Carol
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hi,
For a rainy Sunday, like today:
http://www.exploreseville.com/index.htm
You might know of this already?
Regards,
Carol
Rain, whats that ? ? none here in the midlands, 17 degs C at the moment, ! ! ! come to sunny England....
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:45 am
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Richie,welcome to BE,I will go along with everyone else,it would be virtually impossible to find work without speaking the lingo.I am still in the UK,you will however find a lot of information on here,take time to read a few threads,I think virtually every topic has been covered ,when are you thinking of moving?we bought a Spanish course,mind you I spend to much time on Be to learn much of it,anyway lots of luck with your research
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonsol
Rain, whats that ? ? none here in the midlands, 17 degs C at the moment, ! ! ! come to sunny England....

Just enough to water the plants! It's the windy weather that gets me!
Saw on the news yesterday how sunny it was for the London Marathon...
Regards,
Carol
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

mallorcasaint is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in Mallorca for 8 years and speak reasonable Spanish, even though they speak Mallorquin here. Unless you are in a tourist area you will never get a job without the language. The work in tourism is hard, long hours and crap pay. The health service is brilliant, I have been treated for cancer for over a year on the Spanish National Health. Before you can work you will need an NIE number to get you into the system then you are entitled to full benefits. My sons have worked in the summer season then claimed Spanish dole in the winter and as there are no jobs in the winter here they only have to sign on twice in 6 months!! They get about €400 per month but as they live with us they can survive ok. The paper work required here is horrendous and probably at odds with European law. Only UK seems to follow the rules, Spain just makes up its own! After all this time we are moving back to UK although we will keep our house in Mallorca for holidays etc. I am looking forward to dealing with people in my own language again and not having to lie about my address to get SKY!!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

vox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jaldridge
If you want to work in real estate sales you don't really need any Spanish and there's always vacancies on the coasts.

Wonder why there are are so many vacancies for real estate sale....hmmmm....?

The coasts aren't cheap. We personally couldn't live on €200 Euros per week, let alone €500 per month. But then again, it depends on what lifestyle you are after.
Yeh, but I bet you have a mortgage / kids ect no wonder you CAN'T live on a mere 200e per week am I right?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

Mortgage, kids, cars, office, servers, etc....yeah, we have a few outgoings