Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Suitcase locks removed by airport staff.

Suitcase locks removed by airport staff.

Old Oct 25th 2017, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suitcase locks removed by airport staff.

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
Certainly not !
This was an attempt at theft, I agree.
Not a security issue.
I'd like to think I don't have a criminal mind but if I did and I was working in baggage handling area and wanted to have a rake through a few suitcases and see if anything was worth taking I'd pick the ones without locks.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 6:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
I'd like to think I don't have a criminal mind but if I did and I was working in baggage handling area and wanted to have a rake through a few suitcases and see if anything was worth taking I'd pick the ones without locks.
Why? Tiny suitcase padlocks are weak and if you can break then in a couple of seconds (which you can) you are IMO more likely to find something valuable to steal in a case secured by a lock.

Or are you the sort of person who is just interested in stealing underwear?
Old Oct 25th 2017, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Why? Tiny suitcase padlocks are weak and if you can break then in a couple of seconds (which you can) you are IMO more likely to find something valuable to steal in a case secured by a lock.
Which, along with the OP's sorry tale, would suggest that putting a lock on your suitcase is just inviting trouble, especially if you really are carrying something valuable.

Last edited by rachelk; Oct 25th 2017 at 7:22 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 7:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
Which, along with the OP's sorry tale, would suggest that putting a lock on your suitcase is just inviting trouble, especially if you really are carrying something caluable.
Yes, agreed, as said above, more than once I think, (1) padlocks attract attention (2) they are weak and in effective as locks and (3) putting anything valuable in a suitcase, whether locked or not, to be loaded on a plane is stupid.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 25th 2017 at 9:00 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

The point of my complaint is that I don't know why they were removed, or by whom or for what possible reason.
The fact is that everybody concerned - 3 different bodies (EasyJet, Damaged Luggage, & some "other" luggage) - have all tried to wash their hands of the problem and deny responsibility for the last 5 weeks.
I should not have to try to work out who removed them or why.
SOMEBODY should be able to tell ME the probable reason / guilty party and take responsibility, or at least advise against the use of locks because of A, B, C.

Its too easy to just sit back and take this kind of crap, thus accepting the status quo and not attempting to improve the situation for everybody.
That's not the way I choose to live.

OK, I may be beating my head against a brick wall but if I can make someone take a little more interest in the problem and tighten up procedures/increase penalties if caught (we assume ground staff thievery), then I will feel that I have achieved something.

The reason for my post was to discover how prevalent this problem is.
So thank you for all your replies detailing other instances of lock removal - they have at least made me realise that we have been very lucky for a very long time !

When I receive a final reply from Gatwick's investigation, I'll post it for all to see.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 8:19 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
The point of my complaint is that I don't know why they were removed, or by whom or for what possible reason.
The fact is that everybody concerned - 3 different bodies (EasyJet, Damaged Luggage, & some "other" luggage) - have all tried to wash their hands of the problem and deny responsibility for the last 5 weeks.
I should not have to try to work out who removed them or why.
SOMEBODY should be able to tell ME the probable reason / guilty party and take responsibility, or at least advise against the use of locks because of A, B, C.

Its too easy to just sit back and take this kind of crap, thus accepting the status quo and not attempting to improve the situation for everybody.
That's not the way I choose to live.

OK, I may be beating my head against a brick wall but if I can make someone take a little more interest in the problem and tighten up procedures/increase penalties if caught (we assume ground staff thievery), then I will feel that I have achieved something.

The reason for my post was to discover how prevalent this problem is.
So thank you for all your replies detailing other instances of lock removal - they have at least made me realise that we have been very lucky for a very long time !

When I receive a final reply from Gatwick's investigation, I'll post it for all to see.
Very best of luck with that - let us know how you get on
Old Oct 26th 2017, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

you are IMO more likely to find something valuable to steal in a case secured by a lock.
I always use those tiny suitcase locks just so the case zips stay shut. It would be ridiculous to think that they would act as a deterrent against theft.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by tebo53
I always use those tiny suitcase locks just so the case zips stay shut. It would be ridiculous to think that they would act as a deterrent against theft.
We use zip ties for the same purpose - they hold the case zip closed and act as an indicator that someone has opened the case - so they're a minor deterrent to the casual thief. Our cases have never been opened in transit.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

We use zip ties for the same purpose - they hold the case zip closed and act as an indicator that someone has opened the case - so they're a minor deterrent to the casual thief. Our cases have never been opened in transit.

Any suitcase with a zip can be opened with only a ball point pen, then resealed as if no-one has been into it. I've tried it on my own case and it's very quick and easy. It's completely pointless having a lock on a zippered suitcase.

Old Oct 26th 2017, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

OTA63 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would agree with Pulaski on this. Why put anything valuable in your suitcase? If it's too large to keep in your hand luggage don't take it!!