Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Suitcase locks removed by airport staff.

Suitcase locks removed by airport staff.

Old Oct 25th 2017, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suitcase locks removed by airport staff.

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Stealing from baggage handling is a bit more than petty. You should never put valuables in to hold luggage as my daughter found at a few years ago when she had a valuable diamond cross pendant stolen at Heathrow.

I agree absolutely - but you can never tell what some thieves will take - e.g. when our house was burgled, in addition to cash, jewellery, they took a brand new, large, energy efficient frying pan + glass lid.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 9:47 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
As a point of principle, I'm now pursuing Gatwick airport who only decided to investigate when I sent a post via Facebook saying I intend to expose this outrageous behaviour to as many people as possible as it is an infringement of our rights.
It has happened to me twice both times in USA and a piece of paper was inside the bag from the TSA on both occasions.

I think they are protecting peoples rights not infringing them and it isn't outrageous at all - I speak of the right to life by not being blown out of the sky.

I think you might want to reconsider your principles and priorities on this one.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

discoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you ever heard someone being called over the PA to come and open their case or bag?
Happened to me at Bristol airport. Didn't say why over the PA 'though. Had to exit airside to go back to check-in. Had a Hazchem sticker on some liquid which showed up on the bag scan in case anyone's wondering.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

So you flew from Gatwick to Alicante. On arrival at Alicante when you picked your bags up you noticed the locks were missing. Right so far?
You are presuming security at Gatwick looked in your bags.
You expected that it would be fair for you to be present when your bags were looked at and reasonable that you would have been contacted by the tannoy system in Gatwick for you to be there before you took off.

Imagine I am waiting for that same Easyjet flight.
I notice there is a delay. I am not happy. The delay gets worse, the plane misses its slot and delayed further and we are sitting on the plane on the tarmac. I miss whatever for my holiday when eventually I land at Alicante.
I make claim and many complaints and try and go through the labyrinth that is the modern day avoidance culture of cheap airlines. Funnily enough, there are another 200 passengers trying to do the same because they were on the same flight and are all aggrieved.

I eventually find out that Customs/Security wanted to quickly check a bag and called for the owner over the tannoy. The regulation is, let's say, they cannot access the bag without the owner being present. He never turned up because a) he never heard the tannoy due to the ambient noise or he wasn't paying attention, listening to music on his phone, still in the bar etc etc. One of many reasons. You end up on the plane complaining as loud as everyone else about your rights and then you are fetched off the plane when they find you.

Or - maybe he/she is deaf. Bit of a drawback that is, isn't it? Maybe they should announce it by having big screens where the name pops up? No good if you are partially sighted though.
You may think this is a bit extreme, but nothing said is beyond the realms of possibility. And all because you think it is not on that they opened your bag without you being there. And possibly hundreds of other passengers are put out for the simple reason you weren't paying attention as you weren't even expecting to have your name announced.

Nope. You are being unreasonable and selfish. I'm glad it's not like that and I have no problem at all with them cutting your locks off to do a two minute search of your underwear.
You may have rights. But you don't have that right. And I for one applaud the curiosity of the security person rather than having a can't be bothered attitude.

Last edited by Mark604; Oct 25th 2017 at 10:23 am.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 11:34 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Mark did you miss this post from the OP ?

(Gatwick have now stated:
"All baggage is screened whilst going through the baggage area. This is completed by a Security Company acting on behalf of the airlines. If anything suspicious is found on an image the passenger would be located and asked to attend to view a search."
They are investigating through the ground handling agents responsible.)

That being the case they (as a last resort) will be pulled aside when in the departure area & if they miss the flight, they miss the flight.

Last edited by VFR; Oct 25th 2017 at 11:37 am.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

"...the passenger would be located and asked to attend to view a search."

Fair enough. I must have missed that.
And if not located then they must be stopped on boarding?
I wonder how physically they locate a person then.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

By the way -
"Section 159 of the Customs and Excise Management Act 1979 allows Border Force staff to examine passengers’ bags when the passenger is not in attendance."

Further -
"In most cases bags are examined with the owner present. However, there are circumstances where this is not possible or practical."

"Is this activity in breach of the Human Rights Act?
No. These powers will only be exercised where it is necessary and proportionate to do so to protect the UK and EU border; to prevent and detect crime; or to address a risk to the UK revenue."

"Will passengers be able to find out if their bags have been searched in their absence?
No. It will not be routinely divulged whether an individual’s bag has been searched because to do so could reveal operational practices that might assist smugglers in evading controls in the future."

Lastly for now -
"In the event that a passenger wants to complain that their baggage has suffered damage as a result of a customs examination, the passenger may submit a claim to the Border Force Complaints Team, in the first instance. If the records show that an officer was the cause of the damage, compensation will be paid to the passenger in accordance with standard procedures.
A passenger may submit a claim by writing to the Border Force Complaints Team:
e-mail: [email protected]
or write to:
Border Force Complaints Team
Building 25
Priory Court
St Johns Road
Dover
Kent
CT17 9SH"

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...nation_web.pdf
Old Oct 25th 2017, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
It has happened to me twice both times in USA and a piece of paper was inside the bag from the TSA on both occasions.

I think they are protecting peoples rights not infringing them and it isn't outrageous at all - I speak of the right to life by not being blown out of the sky.

I think you might want to reconsider your principles and priorities on this one.

You're entitled to the opinion you state but I don't need you to tell me what mine should be.
I'm absolutely in favour of all security checks - just not the theft of locks with no explanation or apology thereafter.
I do not believe for a second that this was a security issue - which is supported by the statement I have received from Gatwick airport.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

The anomaly though is whether it was done by the UK Border Force, who will search outgoing as well as incoming stuff, or as stated, "This is completed by a Security Company acting on behalf of the airlines."

I'm not sure why they, whoever they are, would steal your locks. But, they have no need to apologise, except maybe for not returning your broken locks, plus, if the private security company are ruled by the same regulations as the Border Force, they don't need to tell you they did a search either, nor have you present - unless their regulations are different.

"ICTS has been awarded the security services contract for the provision of Hold Baggage Screening services at Gatwick Airport."

http://www.icts.co.uk/news/icts-uk-e...north-terminal

Last edited by Mark604; Oct 25th 2017 at 1:35 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 1:35 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark604
The anomaly though is whether it was done by the UK Border Force, who will search outgoing as well as incoming stuff, or as stated, "This is completed by a Security Company acting on behalf of the airlines."

I'm not sure why they, whoever they are, would steal your locks. But, they have no need to apologise, except maybe for not returning your broken locks, plus, if the private security company are ruled by the same regulations as the Border Force, they don't need to tell you they did a search either, nor have you present - unless their regulations are different.

http://www.icts.co.uk/news/icts-uk-e...north-terminal
From my reading of the thread the locks were removed not stolen, no doubt by airside workers looking for things to steal (nothing new there then)
Old Oct 25th 2017, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

The OP did say, "just not the theft of locks with no explanation or apology thereafter."

I do tend to think it was more an attempt at theft rather than a security issue.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 2:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

.I do not believe for a second that this was a security issue - which is supported by the statement I have received from Gatwick airport.
Maybe you'll get an explanation, you didn't have anything dodgy, right?
Attached Thumbnails Suitcase locks removed by airport staff.-pombomb.jpeg  
Old Oct 25th 2017, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by caretaker
Maybe you'll get an explanation, you didn't have anything dodgy, right?

Certainly not !
This was an attempt at theft, I agree.
Not a security issue.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly not !
This was an attempt at theft, I agree.
Not a security issue.
All the very best of luck to you sorting this out, anyway. All the best also to whoever takes this on 'the other end.'
Old Oct 25th 2017, 4:29 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

You're entitled to the opinion you state but I don't need you to tell me what mine should be.
I'm absolutely in favour of all security checks - just not the theft of locks with no explanation or apology thereafter.
I do not believe for a second that this was a security issue - which is supported by the statement I have received from Gatwick airport.
I am glad you are in favour of security checks as that wasn't clear from the original post where you came across as security naive and selfish - my apologies if I misinterpreted you but that was what you appeared to suggest!

So this is a matter of theft and attempted theft, which might be better reported to the Police rather than starting an "outraged on Facebook" campaign - no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.