Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spend it ! or save it for the kids ??

Spend it ! or save it for the kids ??

Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:54 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spend it ! or save it for the kids ??

Another small decision which has to be made as we all get older is what do you do with all the money you have made over the years ?

Your property or propertys hold the bulk of most peoples money . along with savings and any other assetts .
Now whats the views on do you watch the pennies through your older years keep working til you cant work anymore ,thus ensuring your Children have a easy life through inheritance and the such like .

Or do you spend spend refinance or sell your assets and blow the money you made so when you die theres nothing left ?

My view is spend spend spend after all they have been wet nursed all there life anyways !!
And let them get working and make there money from hard graft as i did ..

But maybe i am just a hard old breed fella ?

Whats your views on this scenario which everyone with kids will have to choose one day !
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spend it ! or save it for the kids ??

Well, we haven't got any children - but I wish my parents would take a leaf out of your book!
My brother and I have been telling them for years that they should just spend whatever they've got, but they feel that they want to leave us something. I wish they'd just think about themselves for once - after all, they brought us up, and now it's up to us as adults to make our own way financially.
Good on you, I say!
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:39 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Spend it!
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:57 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Spend it!
Yep, definitely spend it.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:36 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Spend it, we have told the kids we are not living hand to mouth so they can have a nest egg when we die. If we still have a property to sell when we go then they get to share between the 5 of them what is left after taxes etc.

We worked hard and went without much when we were younger and the kids growing up, this is pay back time for us.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go with the spend it plan.
But equally I wouldn't want to be a burden on my kids in my old age if I needed care etc, so I suppose you ensure you put away enough (keep a property?) to keep you in care for a few years if it comes to that.
On the other hand if I end up croaking on the "job" having just come in from a round of golf, and a couple of cold ones - well the kids'll get my "care kitty" - but hey, I enjoyed my last day!!
Old Feb 11th 2007, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

sunlover27 is on a distinguished road

Spend it! you've worked for it and they won't lose out anyway
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute

I have told my mum to spend it.........she dedicated her whole life to bringing her children up, she nursed her hubby (my dad) through Cancer. What is there to life if now she has time she cant enjoy her slef because she is worrying about money...........SPEND IT!!!!!!!
Ask me again in 30 years when it's my turn to retire and I have to decided what to do with my money, mind you, we have no money now so I doubt we shall have any then!!!!!!!!!!!

love

mary xxxxxxxx
Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by maryann
I have told my mum to spend it.........she dedicated her whole life to bringing her children up, she nursed her hubby (my dad) through Cancer. What is there to life if now she has time she cant enjoy her slef because she is worrying about money...........SPEND IT!!!!!!!
Ask me again in 30 years when it's my turn to retire and I have to decided what to do with my money, mind you, we have no money now so I doubt we shall have any then!!!!!!!!!!!

love

mary xxxxxxxx
Hi Mary

You know I feel so much for younger people today, there always seems to be so much pressure put on them by the rat race, that is what is so nice about living in a country like Spain. At the moment you think there is no light at the end of the tunnel but belive me one day hopefully there will be. There were times when my children were growing up that I thought I can't go on there was never any money left and the idea of saving was a pipe dream. As they got older and I started to work it seemed at last a glimmer of light down the track, then something would happen, roof needed doing, car went bang but then one day I realised that we were out in the light and we could at last start to enjoy ourselves and think about us for a change. It will happen Mary, just keep in there girl and one day you will see that you have what you need and what makes you happy, wealth is not always money, but then I am sure you already know that.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Hi Mary

You know I feel so much for younger people today, there always seems to be so much pressure put on them by the rat race, that is what is so nice about living in a country like Spain. At the moment you think there is no light at the end of the tunnel but belive me one day hopefully there will be. There were times when my children were growing up that I thought I can't go on there was never any money left and the idea of saving was a pipe dream. As they got older and I started to work it seemed at last a glimmer of light down the track, then something would happen, roof needed doing, car went bang but then one day I realised that we were out in the light and we could at last start to enjoy ourselves and think about us for a change. It will happen Mary, just keep in there girl and one day you will see that you have what you need and what makes you happy, wealth is not always money, but then I am sure you already know that.
Thanks crispy........life has got better sonce moving here and ' opting out' We are hopping the children will grow up with very open minds and see beyond money in life.
The pay off is sitting here today, knowing when hubby gets back from work we are off out for a couple of hours on the beach ( regardless of weather)

We ahve the time and we have the frame of mind and oppurtunity to be more radical now.

PS. Went to Gib on Friday, bought some homepride and have just taken out of the oven the most amazing apple pie you have ever seen ( secret south east london recipe!) Cant wait., .......and Yorkshire puds tonight that rise!!!!!!!! YES!
Old Feb 11th 2007, 1:09 pm

PS. Went to Gib on Friday, bought some homepride and have just taken out of the oven the most amazing apple pie you have ever seen ( secret south east london recipe!) Cant wait., .......and Yorkshire puds tonight that rise!!!!!!!! YES!
A South East London girl are we then, me too. I was born and bred in the Old Kent Road, only got posh when I married and moved to Charlton, still S E L, but I thought it was the countryside, my sister in law lived in Plumstead and that was like way out in the sticks.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks crispy........life has got better sonce moving here and ' opting out' We are hopping the children will grow up with very open minds and see beyond money in life.
The pay off is sitting here today, knowing when hubby gets back from work we are off out for a couple of hours on the beach ( regardless of weather)

We ahve the time and we have the frame of mind and oppurtunity to be more radical now.

Did you use bramleys bought in Gib or somehow manage to find them over here?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

A South East London girl are we then, me too. I was born and bred in the Old Kent Road, only got posh when I married and moved to Charlton, still S E L, but I thought it was the countryside, my sister in law lived in Plumstead and that was like way out in the sticks.
We moved from Silwood Street, Bermondsey when I was 7 to where I thought was the "countryside" which was in fact the Ferrier Estate in Kidbrooke - over the years it turned into the pits but it was nice when we first went there

Old Feb 11th 2007, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by spain
We moved from Silwood Street, Bermondsey when I was 7 to where I thought was the "countryside" which was in fact the Ferrier Estate in Kidbrooke - over the years it turned into the pits but it was nice when we first went there

The Ferrier, know it so well, kids had friend that lived there as you say I'm sure at the beginning it was OK, planners don't really think their designs through, mainly because they have never lived in anything like the Ferrier.
I lived in SEL from 1953 -72, eveywhere were street after street of terrace house's, great big places with lovely peeps, community spirit, they knock everything down except for where I lived and built the Aylesbury Estate round us. What a nightmare that has become, my sister still lives there, she seems happy enough.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

My son has to sleep in a Charlton Pj set everynight, my hubby and his family are all 'addics'! We moved from sydenham just before our first daughter down to west malling. My family are millwall and depford born. Thre is something about a S.E londoner!
I had all my treatment for my babies in Tommys as well. Th O.K.R. Has very special memories!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.