Reload this Page >

Spanish Residencia etc.

Spanish Residencia etc.

Old Oct 18th 2016, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

FullCircle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish Residencia etc.

Hi there
I'm looking for uptodate information on applying for residency in Spain so I can get all my ducks in a row before leaving the UK. I must admit I'm getting a little overwhelmed from reading too many websites and forums. Would someone please give me a clear rundown on the requirements regarding NIE's, Residencias, Padron Certificates and anything else I may require to open a Spanish Bank Account. I have downloaded an EX_18 form. Is this correct or should it be EX_16?
Thank you in advance
Old Oct 18th 2016, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Residencia etc.

Originally Posted by FullCircle
Hi there
I'm looking for uptodate information on applying for residency in Spain so I can get all my ducks in a row before leaving the UK. I must admit I'm getting a little overwhelmed from reading too many websites and forums. Would someone please give me a clear rundown on the requirements regarding NIE's, Residencias, Padron Certificates and anything else I may require to open a Spanish Bank Account. I have downloaded an EX_18 form. Is this correct or should it be EX_16?
Thank you in advance
Start at the beginning :Assuming you are an EU citizen
Once you have done more than 90 days you must register your residence with the police.

1. You will need a NIE without it you cannot open a bank account. So get a NIE.
2. Once registered you also apply for a certificate of residence and they will issue you with a little green card which shows your NIE, where you were born and the address you are registered at. This does not negate you from carrying your passport as there is no photo on it and it specifically states on the back "Document not valid as confirmation of the identity or nationality of the holder "
3. At the Town Hall where you live you can sign on to the Padron , empadronamiento. They will give you a print out of the document. It is normally only valid for 90 days if you use it for anything.Not necessary for a bank account but police may ask for it when they do the residence certificate.

Not sure exact form number, think it is Ex16, better to go to the police and pick up the right one.
Normally to open a bank account a NIE and passport are sufficient, follow up later with certificate of residence.However every bank seems to be different and depending on the area and the extent to which they have foreign residents may ask for different documents.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 4:48 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

EX18 is for signing on the list of foreigners (aka 'residencia')

You don't need to get an NIE first, you could just as easily apply for 'residencia' and be given one then. If you do go for an NIE first, use form EX15. However, you will need to prove income/savings and health care for 'residencia'.. If you are a state pensioner, then you should have form S1 from DWP in UK which solves everything.

For a bank account, just a passport is required but many banks are starting to ask for an NIE as well as mentioned above.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

It's far easier to get your NIE first, and if you like you can get it from the Spanish embassy in London otherwise from the Police station where you are living in Spain. Very often there are separate areas in the police station for NIE and residencia applications so don't always work together.

When I applied for my residencia, also at the Police station, I was asked for my NIE, proof of income, healthcare (an S1 form was sufficient) and also my rental agreement.

If you are not a pensioner you will need private healthcare.

When I opened a non resident bank account with Sabadell they asked for my passport and a recent UK utility bill. Then when I was settled in I changed the account to resident.

You need proof of income to prove you will not be a burden on the state. If you don't have a regular income, a good balance in your account and a current credit card often suffices.

Last edited by tebo53; Oct 18th 2016 at 6:11 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

catsndogs is an unknown quantity at this point

We have friends who have tried twice to get residencia and have been told wrong documents. They then tried a third time. Got a Translator who is certified in Spain and she told them all paperwork in order. Went with them to sort it and this time were told their Marriage Cert was out of date ???!!! Now given up
Old Oct 18th 2016, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Start at the beginning :Assuming you are an EU citizen
Once you have done more than 90 days you must register your residence with the police.

1. You will need a NIE without it you cannot open a bank account. So get a NIE.
2. Once registered you also apply for a certificate of residence and they will issue you with a little green card which shows your NIE, where you were born and the address you are registered at. This does not negate you from carrying your passport as there is no photo on it and it specifically states on the back "Document not valid as confirmation of the identity or nationality of the holder "
3. At the Town Hall where you live you can sign on to the Padron , empadronamiento. They will give you a print out of the document. It is normally only valid for 90 days if you use it for anything.Not necessary for a bank account but police may ask for it when they do the residence certificate.

Not sure exact form number, think it is Ex16, better to go to the police and pick up the right one.
Normally to open a bank account a NIE and passport are sufficient, follow up later with certificate of residence.However every bank seems to be different and depending on the area and the extent to which they have foreign residents may ask for different documents.
There is no expiry date on my Padron!

Steve
Old Oct 18th 2016, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
There is no expiry date on my Padron!

Steve
They do not have an expiry date , once you are "on the padron" that is it until you move,BUT if you are asked for it, for example when presenting documents to the police, social security etc , the request will include that the document must have been issued in the last 90 days.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Residencia application is quite simply a lottery. We went three times, had a mountain of photo copies, of everything we could imagine. Translations galore and still got turned away twice. Then on third attempt we saw same guy who was quite simply obnoxious on second occasion, and he was as sweet as pie third time we sailed through, and he actually photocopied our passport himself and did not ask for anything else, except our application to open our bank account which by some freak chance I had taken with me. Stick at it and if at first you dont succeed etc.
Pete
Old Oct 19th 2016, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I've chosen the right forum! I'll digest it all and post again if I have any more residency questions. In the meantime, could you recommend a Bank/Account which accepts overseas deposits and can also be used for withdrawals in the U.K.? The obvious one is Santander I guess, but I would appreciate your advice. I'm looking in the Villajoyosa area.
Many thanks

Last edited by FullCircle; Oct 19th 2016 at 7:23 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 7:41 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

This may also help https://www.gov.uk/guidance/residenc...ments-in-spain
Old Oct 19th 2016, 8:24 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I've chosen the right forum! I'll digest it all and post again if I have any more residency questions. In the meantime, could you recommend a Bank/Account which accepts overseas deposits and can also be used for withdrawals in the U.K.? The obvious one is Santander I guess, but I would appreciate your advice. I'm looking in the Villajoyosa area.
Many thanks
Santander bank in Spain it not part of Santander in the UK, they just have the same name.
Simplest way to deal with these things is to use a gestor, they will ensure all your documents are correct, and be able to accompany you to get signed on and get residencia and NIE, yes it will cost, but it's much better than having to go several times to get things sorted, and, as they will be Spanish, they are in a much better situation to argue with the official. Spanish officialdom really has to be seen to be believed with all the forms they need etc. Time for this again methinks.

Old Oct 20th 2016, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
Thank you in advance
Hope this helps. Arrived Spain January this year, opened bank account with passports in February. Employed a Spanish lady from a local English run tax accountants in July at a cost of 150€ ( for two).she did all the work. Sailed through residencias with NIE included. Registered with the local health clinic and the padron. The whole process took about five weeks.
Perhaps we were fortunate.I would add that we needed the padron before applying for the Spanish NHS.
As I said, hope this helps.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kentishladd
Hope this helps. Arrived Spain January this year, opened bank account with passports in February. Employed a Spanish lady from a local English run tax accountants in July at a cost of 150€ ( for two).she did all the work. Sailed through residencias with NIE included. Registered with the local health clinic and the padron. The whole process took about five weeks.
Perhaps we were fortunate.I would add that we needed the padron before applying for the Spanish NHS.
As I said, hope this helps.
I fully agree, we did exactly the same as you Kentishladd. It was worth every cent to have all the paperwork etc done stress free. I would recommend this method to everyone in OP's position.

Steve
Old Oct 20th 2016, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
I fully agree, we did exactly the same as you Kentishladd. It was worth every cent to have all the paperwork etc done stress free. I would recommend this method to everyone in OP's position.

Steve
I would also add that the 150€ included being driven to all the relevant offices. Employing someone who understands the system is worth every cent.Totally hassle free.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again everyone, your advice and information is very much appreciated. I've been looking at Banks in the Villajoyosa area. Does Sabadell have a good reputation and does it accept regular overseas direct deposits?
Many thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.