Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are the Spanish paranoid about crime and security?

Are the Spanish paranoid about crime and security?

Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

EnglishPatriot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are the Spanish paranoid about crime and security?

I have noticed that pretty much all houses and businesses in Spain have bars on the windows. Even in the most rural villages where you would think crime wasn't a huge problem, bars on the windows are as common as in the towns and cities. To a British person this seems strange as in the UK even the roughest council estates don't tend to have bars on the windows. Most British people would consider installing bars on the windows to be an excessive measure.

Are the Spanish particularly paranoid about crime compared to British people?
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are the Spanish paranoid about crime and security?

Originally Posted by EnglishPatriot
I have noticed that pretty much all houses and businesses in Spain have bars on the windows. Even in the most rural villages where you would think crime wasn't a huge problem, bars on the windows are as common as in the towns and cities. To a British person this seems strange as in the UK even the roughest council estates don't tend to have bars on the windows. Most British people would consider installing bars on the windows to be an excessive measure.

I believe it's more to do with insurance premiums than anything else.

The Spanish are no more or less paranoid about crime than the average Brit.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

You will find rejas on the windows at least 3 or 4 storeys high on older properties as burglars would only go about 4 floors up. I think they stem from the time there was no actual window just the bars.

My insurance company ask if you have bars and I think they may influence the price favourably.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Bars 'rejas' are pretty normal on windows. There are just part of a house's exterior. Find some pretty ones!
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

I always assumed they had bars because in hot weather you want to leave windows open but not let the burglars in.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:40 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenwoodlad
I always assumed they had bars because in hot weather you want to leave windows open but not let the burglars in.
My neighbours told me that this was the origins of the bars. One of my neighbours has recently had a beautiful tall locking bar gate put into her doorway so I asked her why and was told that it was so that she could work anywhere in the house with her front door wide open for air.

My insurance company will not insure houses that do not have bars on the ground floor windows.

Rosemary
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishPatriot

I've driven round some pretty rough areas of Liverpool, London and Manchester (Wynthenshawe ) where I kept my car doors locked at all times. In those places there were lots of houses with bars on the windows and steel front-doors, though whether those were to discourage burglars or rival drug gangs I cannot say.

My personal expeience of Spain, living in the campo, is that there seem to be many more people "trying their luck", poking around properties, nicking anything outside that isn't bolted down, trying to force your door and hoping to prise a window open than I ever, EVER encountered living in suburban England.
So I don't think it's paranoia, I think it's just that they need these measures to counteract crime. Similarly, not being allowed to take bags into shops - I can only assume that's because the shops would otherwise be prone to unacceptable levels of theft. That's another aspect of Spain that's "foreign" to Brits.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:49 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite simple really. Poverty breeds crime and in poor countries people have bars on their windows to keep out the burglars.

But Spain is no longer poor and most new houses don't have bars on the windows.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:55 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Err, which Spain is that then ?
Old Sep 16th 2013, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

I think in the UK you are not allowed, we tried to rent a shop in Colchester, been closed for 4 years, we had everything in place but the council would not let us have shutters, the shop is still empty.

I don't think its a case of paranoia, I am a extremely paranoid about being robbed and if I could have bars and shutters I would, I think it just comes down to different councils, my first experience of it was in France of how different things are, they have shutters on their windows, I always thought it was strange we don't.

I pushed it in my own home with a solid steel front door, its not liked by the Council Police or Fire services, they have wrote plenty of letters but never actually done anything about it.

I like the strength of the doors in the properties I have seen in Spain, I also prefer Windows that slide and not open
Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
I've driven round some pretty rough areas of Liverpool, London and Manchester (Wynthenshawe ) where I kept my car doors locked at all times. In those places there were lots of houses with bars on the windows and steel front-doors, though whether those were to discourage burglars or rival drug gangs I cannot say.

My personal expeience of Spain, living in the campo, is that there seem to be many more people "trying their luck", poking around properties, nicking anything outside that isn't bolted down, trying to force your door and hoping to prise a window open than I ever, EVER encountered living in suburban England.
So I don't think it's paranoia, I think it's just that they need these measures to counteract crime. Similarly, not being allowed to take bags into shops - I can only assume that's because the shops would otherwise be prone to unacceptable levels of theft. That's another aspect of Spain that's "foreign" to Brits.
It has been the norm for houses in Spain to have rejas on windows, at least on the ground floor, for many years, so I don't think it's a measure which has been introduced to combat increased levels of crime. Yes, there are certainly many burglaries taking place from houses and not just in the campo, they happen in cities, towns and on urbanisations as well. My house here in Spain was broken into just over 5 years ago, but then again so was the house I lived in in the UK once, plus we had one attempted break-in foiled when the next door neighbour's dog started barking.

Not being allowed to take bags into shops is "foreign" to Brits - but another difference is not seeing security guards on duty in Mercadona (although they do have security staff in the shopping centres).

Regarding the newer houses, yes, I have seen quite a few around here which don't have rejas, where they have the newer type of windows with lockable security blinds. Personally I prefer my rejas and persianas as I think they let more light and air into the room with the windows open.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

JB80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm... The insurance thing makes sense at least it does economically anyway.
I was thinking it was a throwback to times under a different regime, I don't know.

Personally I'm more concerned with burning alive trapped behind bars at night than the odd burglar and would rather use a fly screen to let the air in than faff about with keys all the time.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:08 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

My friends are stunned that we do not have persianas at our windows in the UK because they see it as imperitive as a barrier against rain not as something to deter burglars.

Rosemary
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB80
Hmmm... The insurance thing makes sense at least it does economically anyway.
I was thinking it was a throwback to times under a different regime, I don't know.

Personally I'm more concerned with burning alive trapped behind bars at night than the odd burglar and would rather use a fly screen to let the air in than faff about with keys all the time.
Have the reja on your "fire escape" hinged and locakable for when you go out/away.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:14 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Err, which Spain is that then ?
The Spain where a frozen chicken costs the same as anywhere else in Europe. Never mind the fancy graphs, falsified unemployment levels, worthless opinions from economists; judge it by the cost of a frozen chicken.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.