Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain / Health Insurance

Spain / Health Insurance

Old Feb 6th 2004, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

XXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant future
Default Spain / Health Insurance

I understand that British Expats resident in Spain and under the age of 65 will need private health care ( I will not be working - retired early ) as the E111 will only cover them for 3 months

I assume private health care will not cover existing medical problems. What do expats do about known medical problems ?

Hope for the best ? Keep returning to the UK to see their GP and hope they do not become ill suddenly ? or delay moving to Spain on a permanent basis until they are 65 ?

What's the answer please ? :lecture:

Thanks
Old Feb 8th 2004, 7:04 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.helicopterossanitarios.com

Try this site mate..it gives all the info on site, 200€ a year per couple, Eng doc etc. click on the Union Flag.
Click be a member and read num 7 " no penalty for old ailments " or words to that effect. would you get that in England...

Normal emergency treatment is free, but costs after that, so some sort of cover is best, or though you still pay for the extras with Heli ins.

Last edited by jdr; Feb 8th 2004 at 7:16 am.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

I am looking at the Helicopter website. Very nice. I looked at the page EXPOSITION and there is a picture that looks like a cross between a morgue and Tate Modern. Can't quite make out what that Exposition really is. The text that goes with it says:

ART AND HELICOPTERS
Also we count in the interior of our facilities on a wide room that it is used like a expositions room.

Nige
Old Feb 13th 2004, 9:05 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain / Health Insurance

Originally posted by XXPEBXX
I understand that British Expats resident in Spain and under the age of 65 will need private health care ( I will not be working - retired early ) as the E111 will only cover them for 3 months

I assume private health care will not cover existing medical problems. What do expats do about known medical problems ?

Hope for the best ? Keep returning to the UK to see their GP and hope they do not become ill suddenly ? or delay moving to Spain on a permanent basis until they are 65 ?

What's the answer please ? :lecture:

Thanks
The E111 is designed for tourists who are in other EU countries on a temp basis. You can use the E111 as long as you spent at least 6 months of the year in the UK.

If you're there permanently then you can use the E121 as long as you are over pensionable age which is 65 for men, 60 for women. If you live there fulltime before you reach those ages. If you receive incapacity benefit in the UK then you can also use form E121. You may be able to use form E106 if you've been paying into the UK system for the last 3 years but again it's only temp cover but longer than for the E111 (I think it's up to two years)

Form E111 is depandant on your being a UK resident. It's not enough to have an address you "use", it should be an address registered to you.

Both E121 and E106 actually transfer your health care to Spain so you are no longer treatable under the NHS except for emergencies.

You can call the International Dept of the DOH on
0207 210 5557.
They are very helpful.