Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain or Gibraltar? The much asked question...

Spain or Gibraltar? The much asked question...

Old Dec 21st 2017, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Byerain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spain or Gibraltar? The much asked question...

I know this has been asked before but never by someone with my particular situation. My husband and I have both been offered jobs in Gib and we have a 1 year old who will need to go to nursery full time while we are both at work. Is it worth living in a house in Spain (Alcaidesa) even though the majority of the week we'll be in Gib? will the commute get us down? Will we wish we'd just stayed in Gibraltar? or will it be worth living in Spain even if we can only enjoy our garden and communal swimming pool at the weekend? Thanks in advance

Last edited by Byerain; Dec 21st 2017 at 11:23 pm. Reason: Want to add a thanks!
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 7:09 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain or Gibraltar? The much asked question...

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Thank you, Rosemary!
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I would advise you to take a short let ( 6 months ) in Gibraltar and assess the situation from there.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 1:21 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You may have two problems to consider.

If you live in Spain you will be taxed in Spain. If you work in Gib you will normally have Gib tax deducted at source. That starts to get complicated although tax paid in Gib can be offset against Spanish tax.

Gibraltar cross border taxation | Category 2 tax Gibraltar

The other problem is Brexit and how that works out with regard to Spain/Gib relations and whether it might create any border crossing issues. No one can answer that question but if it all goes the wrong way it could prove to be a big problem for commuters, or if not a problem it could prove inconvenient.

I agree with Fredbargate. Start in Gib and assess the situation from there.

Last edited by Fred James; Dec 22nd 2017 at 1:25 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Gib! , if you both have jobs I`m assuming the salaries will at least afford rental of a decent apartment, other pluses are medical care , schooling in the future, language, airport in walking distance , walk to Spain and so on and as Fred says you can choose whether to live in Spain at a later date , Good Luck!
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 10:37 am
Banned

franklee2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, try all possible variants `cos Spain worths it
Old Jan 5th 2018, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franklee2
Hi, try all possible variants `cos Spain worths it
Although probably not in Linea and Campo de Gibraltar which appears to have very high unemployment and crime rate. You might end up with quite a long commute. In the meantime Gibraltar is brilliant if you can afford the housing costs.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Although probably not in Linea and Campo de Gibraltar which appears to have very high unemployment and crime rate. You might end up with quite a long commute. In the meantime Gibraltar is brilliant if you can afford the housing costs.
Sorry this is in Spanish but Google translate will help.

It reinforces MikeJ's comment

Dos horas para llegar a casa
Old Jan 19th 2018, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all! Lots of good advice.