Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Solar energy vs Mains argument

Solar energy vs Mains argument

Old Jun 9th 2007, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

jillm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Solar energy vs Mains argument

Thanks for that, i am a new member didnt realy know how it worked.
Well here goes.

You say for 5000 euros you can buy the panels, batteries, invertor and generator. I take it you have to connect to a fuse box? I looked at the man on ebay who is now no longer a member.

I would also like some pics of how you have done it as we are novice and was wondering 1. should we get someone to do it but obviously the cost is alot more or 2. If it is that easy why not do it ourselves hence some pics.

The propety we are going to be buying is a finca and will have to have work done on to live in.

Also, if you have no mains electric i take it you have no mains water. (same as what ours would be) How much are the large tankers you buy to get water delivered, do you need a pump to get the water out to your taps in your house, if so what kind of pump( i presume electric) and where can you buy them from. I have a pump which i use here in france for the well is it the same.

If i think of anymore i will post on here as still trying to do the research about solar.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all
Default Re: Solar energy vs Mains argument

Originally Posted by jillm
Thanks for that, i am a new member didnt realy know how it worked.
Well here goes.

You say for 5000 euros you can buy the panels, batteries, invertor and generator. I take it you have to connect to a fuse box? I looked at the man on ebay who is now no longer a member.

I would also like some pics of how you have done it as we are novice and was wondering 1. should we get someone to do it but obviously the cost is alot more or 2. If it is that easy why not do it ourselves hence some pics.

The propety we are going to be buying is a finca and will have to have work done on to live in.

Also, if you have no mains electric i take it you have no mains water. (same as what ours would be) How much are the large tankers you buy to get water delivered, do you need a pump to get the water out to your taps in your house, if so what kind of pump( i presume electric) and where can you buy them from. I have a pump which i use here in france for the well is it the same.

If i think of anymore i will post on here as still trying to do the research about solar.
Firstly, I think before you research suppliers and systems, it would be good to get more info on Solar and its limitations, To get best value you need to look longer term than just a few lights and a TV now, as you will without a doubt require to upgrade once you have used and understand the shortfalls of PV systems not correctly sized, Longer term this will be very expensive
Based on what you say above, I would worry about the deposito pump, as these can generally kill a battery system quite quickly, especially if you have bought a 12V system, if your gonna have a swimming pool pump, deposito pump, you just wont do it on a small system, and will need to rely on a diesel generator heavily.
The generator to be practical needs to be at Least 5KVA, and Diesel, this really is because if you use the generator to run items like washing machines, well pumps, swimming pool filter, you would be well advised to have spare power to put charge into your batteries at the same time. This has a dual effect in that you can reduce the number of Solar panels (as to buy enough Solar wattage and battery capacity to have a system to equal that level of power would be very expensive.) and reduce generator running time by doing all the heavy load items at the same time. At the end of the day, it is a compromise between capital expenditure and acceptable generator running costs..

Here are some average ( and very low wattage) general items which are pretty much basic in any house. Look at the power they can consume and I am assuming that it is managed daily (IE skybox tv not left on standby etc)
One TV (150W)and Sky box (100W) for 6 hours per day equals 1500w per day
Fridge Small Aclass 350w per day Freezer Aclass 350W per day equals 750W
Lights Say low energy 7W 4 off for three hours per day equals 112W
Miscellaneous small domestic appliances, IE Phone charger, Laptop, hairdryer, Little blender, say max 500W per day,
that will give you a total requirement of 2862W watts per day,
=So what do you need, (assume average day = 6 hours of sunshine for max output)
Here is a site with and excellent tutorial, which also has a simulator wherein you can test the loadings above.

http://www.freesunpower.com/tutorials.php

Last edited by Solarwhizz; Jun 9th 2007 at 10:09 pm.