Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Solar energy vs Mains argument

Solar energy vs Mains argument

Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar energy vs Mains argument

Originally Posted by Cptnemo
Hi Pete
Sure, from your stated electricity usage, environmentally friendly alternatives would not suffice, but from my interpretation of Bills post - he wasn't suggesting that everyone should rip out their mains connection and rely on solar?

As for him or anyone else being "mad" to do what they believe in, well I for one disagree, if anyone wants to live in a property without mains electricity, its down to them and just because their lifestyles do not mirror yours does not make them wrong.

I would agree that the cost seems expensive, however as demand increases - the price will fall.
Cheers

Thanks Cptnemo, You are correct in that I wasn't suggesting anyone rip out their mains electric. I wish I had mains electric connected to my house (as long as there wasn't a standing charge). I'm sure I would use the mains occasionally for heavy use things like a washing machine.

However, many people are buying up land in the campo and building houses, or have already bought houses only to find that there isn't a legal supply of mains electric available without coughing up several thousand euros first. My argument is simply to persuade people to actually think about the possibility of alternative power sources.

It's only too easy to dismiss the idea of solar. Expensive initial investment, unreliable power source, etc., and coming from the UK we can all understand that point of view. But for those of us living in Spain, when you actually look at the figures you might find that the opposite is true. Cheaper initial investment, more reliable power source.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Billgates, a couple of q's - do you have a phone system that uses electricity too? I imagine that being off grid you are also without landline? If so, how much power do you find this consumes?
Do you have satellite TV? If so, does it cope OK being regularly disconnected from the power supply? Thanks!
Hillybilly,
We don't have a landline. Our Internet connection is via a radio system. Telephone is provided through the Internet connection (voip, skype, etc). The Internet connection only uses about 15-20W.
We don't have satellite tv. Thought about it but wife and I decided that the kids would just spend all their spare time watching English language programs instead of Spanish tv. Of the friends we've spoken to about satellite, everyone of them says that they feel obliged to sit in front of it on an evening to justify the expenditure and that they simply watch whatever rubbish is broadcast at them. I don't think we'll be buying a satellite system anytime soon.
And if we want UK news or radio then there's always the Internet.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 9:06 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
Big Pete,

As always you do throw an amusing angle onto everything. To address some of your points -

"The kitchen set of lights alone use some 300 watts ."

300 watts isn't a lot for a kitchen if you use several 50W halogen bulbs. However, there are direct replacement bulbs available for these fittings that use LEDs instead of halogen bulbs. Instead of 50W they might use 5W.

"The hallway set of lights and stairway alone use 300 watts"

Do you have a dark house? Maybe open the curtains now and again.

"The kettle uses some 1800 watts"

An electric kettle is a ridiculous proposition for an off-grid house. Get a whistling kettle that sits on top of the gas hob.

"Electric Shower uses 1500 watts"

I've never seen an electric shower in Spain and seeing as most houses have a mains connection that provides them with about 4KW of electric then a typical 8-10KW electric shower doesn't stand a chance. Even your "super silent decent proper Diesel generator with a minimum 4000 watts" will run a mile at the thought of an electric shower.

"Emersion Heater 2000 watts "

Emersion heaters are so inefficient I can't imagine anyone using them these days. Even in England most houses have gas fired central heating that heats the water. In Spain you use a gas water heater like everyone else does. Or alternatively use the sun.

"Swimming pool pumps pull 2 hp and estimate about 300 watts ?"

If I could afford a luxury like a swimming pool I would also be able to afford a solar pump for it.

"then i like security outside lights and patio lights est 200 watts
Now i always have the telly on with sattelite system and motorized dish !
Add fridge freezer and washing machine In Hot Summer Air Conditioning .
and on and on it goes !!!!!
1500 watts is pathetic ! May as well just run the house from your car alternator "

Well, maybe you need your own personal power station right next door to your house.

Like I said, when living off-grid you are aware of how much power you consume. I could go on about climate change, global warming, and the rest but that's not the point of this thread. I'll admit that being on mains electric provides you with the convenience of never running out of power (theoretically) but in Spain you still only get about 3.5-4KW per connection. Then you're at the mercy of the electric companies. No doubt every time they put the price up you just accept it and let your monthly direct-debit deduct even more from your bank account.

As for 3750 being expensive, well if it costs 5000€ to get a connection that is just the start. You can easilly spend another 1000€ per year, every year on your electric bill. Add that up over a ten year period and you've spent 15000€. I've spent 3750€ up front, and in ten years time it's still only 3750€.

And as for watching the pennies, I'm still the right side of forty (just) and no way can I afford to retire. I have a full-time job and support my family so I have to watch the pennies.
Maybe you have a nice fat pension to live off? you're lucky you don't have to watch the pennies.
Hi Bill

I wasnt being picky or anything i think your post is a good subject and very relative to the Forum..

I just felt that before everyone races of on the internet buying solar panels and stuff , that they should realy give it some serious thinking through ..

I didnt mention that way back when i was a young man . I had a little play around with wind generators and developed a invention for a mobile compact unit , but thats another story and the product is still in my "Inventions to Finish" File . and when retired in Majorca will be reopened ..

I was just pointing out the 1500 watt costing u had ?
I am not against own power generation if it can be done with a quiet simple small unit i would of had it years ago !! Thats why i started my above project in the first instance !!
But we know its not just like plugging a battery in dont we ? Producing small ammounts yea easy peasy , Buy a dog and a alternator and pulley wheel and you can get your lights and stuff working , just by letting the dog walk the wheel

But to crack the thing properly at the moment its a proper generator ,

I am not retired as in old age retired Just calculated that i dont need to work anymore , fortunate maybe , but you cant take your money with you when you die so dont agree with all this watch the pennies ... The only winners on that are your kids and the Government .

If i had a property in the wilderness i would use all available methods , solar wind and diesel generators ..

But to save money over 10 years and have it installed to me is no good if power is there from the grid .. And u need a lifestyle change to use it ..
Also who knows if your still gonna be alive in 10 years ? or you may want to move house so that far thinking is boring to me nowdays ..

thats my view ..
Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:29 am
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Solar energy vs Mains argument

Really informative Billgates. Didn't know solar power was so interesting or could be as complex, but it is something which really interests me. It does seem a waste, with all that sun, not to harness some additional "free" benefits. It is, of course quite a substancial initial outlay, but lets face it, utility charges are never going to go down are they?
What I was wondering however, is that no one has mentioned government grants towards the initial instalation of solar energy. I have heard, that in some places, it is possible to get a grant to help cover the costs. It was a fairly substancial grant as well. I think you had to pay initially, but were then reimbursed to the amount of the grant.
Has anyone else heard of this? I would be interested to know.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:24 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

I have heard this as well ChrisW. If I had considered all this when we fell in love with a cortijo in an idyllic location but only three kilometers from Moron a small town with good facilities, I would have gone for the place right away. As it was we decided to think it over for the weekend, and try to get an idea what the elx connections and plumbing would cost, and the local pharmacist nabbed it from under our noses. Never saw anything like it again.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:57 am
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisw
Really informative Billgates. Didn't know solar power was so interesting or could be as complex, but it is something which really interests me. It does seem a waste, with all that sun, not to harness some additional "free" benefits. It is, of course quite a substancial initial outlay, but lets face it, utility charges are never going to go down are they?
What I was wondering however, is that no one has mentioned government grants towards the initial instalation of solar energy. I have heard, that in some places, it is possible to get a grant to help cover the costs. It was a fairly substancial grant as well. I think you had to pay initially, but were then reimbursed to the amount of the grant.
Has anyone else heard of this? I would be interested to know.
Hi chrisw,

Here's a link for Solar Energy solutions in the Costa Blanca

http://www.solosol.net/

It says a few things about grants in Spain as well, but not much.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

I have also heard of these grants. I don't know anyone who has actually qualified for one though. The Spanish government don't seem to be actively promoting this information for some reason.
I heard that to qualify you have to have your system professionally installed and that the installers/suppliers are the ones who can claim for the grant - they supposedly pass the grant on to you in the way of discounted prices. Like I said, I don't know anyone who has actually done this so can't confirm the accuracy of this info one way or another.
However, I'm pretty sure that the law in Spain has changed recently and that for every new build since 2007 the house must incorporate some form of solar energy, whether it be a solar hot water system or photovoltaic panels.

Getting a comercial company in to install a solar system is going to be far more expensive that doing it yourself - to the extent that I wonder if it's even worth persuing a government grant.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:46 am
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
I have also heard of these grants. I don't know anyone who has actually qualified for one though. The Spanish government don't seem to be actively promoting this information for some reason.
I heard that to qualify you have to have your system professionally installed and that the installers/suppliers are the ones who can claim for the grant - they supposedly pass the grant on to you in the way of discounted prices. Like I said, I don't know anyone who has actually done this so can't confirm the accuracy of this info one way or another.
However, I'm pretty sure that the law in Spain has changed recently and that for every new build since 2007 the house must incorporate some form of solar energy, whether it be a solar hot water system or photovoltaic panels.

Getting a comercial company in to install a solar system is going to be far more expensive that doing it yourself - to the extent that I wonder if it's even worth persuing a government grant.
Hi Bill,

You are absolutely correct. In the town of Benissa all new builds must have a minimum of 20% solar energy for their water heating systems in order for building license to be issued.

Martha
Old Mar 16th 2007, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

,, Solar power does not substitute for grid connections cost effectively, it is very rarely cost effective or a suitable alternative, mainly due to the extremeley high cost of obtaining comparative power availability.
It is an ideal solution for those who simply cannot get grid connection or because of distance from nearest supply the cost is exorbitant. IE in excess of 30K.
You can build a system for yourself, however you need some knowledge and more importantly you need to manage it, a small undersized system will create more hassle than it is worth. You could spend your life looking after the system to squeeze what you want out of it, IE going around unscrewing bulbs, forever bitching because the fridge door has been left open. shutting down the sky box every night and having to go thru the reset procedure every day. only one outside light on the porch shared by everyone ! washing iron and battery chargeing has to be done at the same time, servicing the genny, getting the oil! it goes on and on.etc etc. Of course if you are an avid DIY, and have interest in this subject to the point of geek, well it would be definitely for you!!
Then there is the matter of buying on Ebay, this is a lottery, I had a quick look at the ratings for the guy mentioned selling the Solar panels, it would appear that when he has a problem he just doesnt respond to the buyer, what value garantees then, particularly if it is an unknown internet number in Germany!! (NB I buy regularly off Ebay, and generally it is pretty good, but I have come up against the odd bandit now and again)
The alternative is to go for a complete energy usage survey, work out your energy requirement, get a system sized quoted and installed. Then sit on the porch and enjoy your glass of wine. Thats why you came here wasnt it??

Renewable energies, are still extremely expensive, there are lots of cheap imports coming in from China, however this is pretty much i a lottery as the quality is just not there consistently, eventually the best will come through and they will be a good buy. But today , and again it is very much down to guarantees, and how you enforce them with an agents agent agent,, selling on the internet. When things go seriously wrong they just dissapear into the either.
"Caveat emptor"

Last edited by Solarwhizz; Mar 16th 2007 at 5:14 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:32 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Solar energy vs Mains argument

Hi all,
Thanks for the info from Poollounger, Mnm and Billgates. It seems as though these grants, although available are akin to all the unclaimed benefits we are regularly advised of by the UK Government. If the know how much is unclaimed, they know you should have been entitled don't they? So how do they let them go unclaimed?
Maybe a political vote catcher? Who knows, but I will investigate further and update if I find out anything further. Cheers all!
They both seem very much "ask don't get, don't ask don't want!"
I take it you don't like solar power solarwhizz! But a bit miffed with your statement of "caveat emptor". Surely that should apply to anything to anything purchase by anyone anyplace!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:10 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
,, Solar power does not substitute for grid connections cost effectively, it is very rarely cost effective or a suitable alternative, mainly due to the extremeley high cost of obtaining comparative power availability.
It is an ideal solution for those who simply cannot get grid connection or because of distance from nearest supply the cost is exorbitant. IE in excess of 30K.
You can build a system for yourself, however you need some knowledge and more importantly you need to manage it, a small undersized system will create more hassle than it is worth. You could spend your life looking after the system to squeeze what you want out of it, IE going around unscrewing bulbs, forever bitching because the fridge door has been left open. shutting down the sky box every night and having to go thru the reset procedure every day. only one outside light on the porch shared by everyone ! washing iron and battery chargeing has to be done at the same time, servicing the genny, getting the oil! it goes on and on.etc etc. Of course if you are an avid DIY, and have interest in this subject to the point of geek, well it would be definitely for you!!
Then there is the matter of buying on Ebay, this is a lottery, I had a quick look at the ratings for the guy mentioned selling the Solar panels, it would appear that when he has a problem he just doesnt respond to the buyer, what value garantees then, particularly if it is an unknown internet number in Germany!! (NB I buy regularly off Ebay, and generally it is pretty good, but I have come up against the odd bandit now and again)
The alternative is to go for a complete energy usage survey, work out your energy requirement, get a system sized quoted and installed. Then sit on the porch and enjoy your glass of wine. Thats why you came here wasnt it??

Renewable energies, are still extremely expensive, there are lots of cheap imports coming in from China, however this is pretty much i a lottery as the quality is just not there consistently, eventually the best will come through and they will be a good buy. But today , and again it is very much down to guarantees, and how you enforce them with an agents agent agent,, selling on the internet. When things go seriously wrong they just dissapear into the either.
"Caveat emptor"
well said as usual whiz knows his stuff ! I agree i think in time it will be the thing to have ,but as whiz says , I know i dont want the hassles when i have enough to do just settling in , and its not a 2 second cheap job ..
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Thanks for the info from Poollounger, Mnm and Billgates. It seems as though these grants, although available are akin to all the unclaimed benefits we are regularly advised of by the UK Government. If the know how much is unclaimed, they know you should have been entitled don't they? So how do they let them go unclaimed?
Maybe a political vote catcher? Who knows, but I will investigate further and update if I find out anything further. Cheers all!
They both seem very much "ask don't get, don't ask don't want!"
I take it you don't like solar power solarwhizz! But a bit miffed with your statement of "caveat emptor". Surely that should apply to anything to anything purchase by anyone anyplace! [/QUOTE]

Sorry I have just noticed this post,, I am 1050% for Solar or all renewable energies, in fact I make a living out of it, However I try to have a practical and honest view of where it is today (IN MY VIEW) in relation to the real world and real world implementation and costs.
Of course you can always view it thru rose coloured sun glasses

As to the caveat emptor, I was discussing Solely solar so why generalise!!!.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:26 am
Just Joined

jillm is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Solar energy vs Mains argument

I have read your thread about solar, i would like to pick your brains more on this subject. Tried to send you private message but was unable to do because of the amount of stars i have or dont have.

Can i email you private to ask you more about the system you have as we are going to be buying something in spain with no electric and probably no chance of ever getting it.

Jill
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:33 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jillm

I have read your thread about solar, i would like to pick your brains more on this subject. Tried to send you private message but was unable to do because of the amount of stars i have or dont have.

Can i email you private to ask you more about the system you have as we are going to be buying something in spain with no electric and probably no chance of ever getting it.

Jill
Why not just talk about it on here, that way you get your post level up and we all learn a bit more.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:42 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jillm

Jill
Just need two more posts on here and you can send PMs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.