Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Snakes in house

Snakes in house

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Debbieg is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Snakes in house

The other night I found a snake in our pantry about to consume a lizard. We live in the country and expect to see (and do see) snakes around the place but not had one enter the house before. I have found out it is a Horseshoe Whip snake and is not venomous but can be aggressive and bite.
Does anyone know if this is true and also why it would of entered the house. It had to cross a courtyard and two rooms to get to where it was.
:scared:
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snakes in house

Originally Posted by Debbieg
The other night I found a snake in our pantry about to consume a lizard. We live in the country and expect to see (and do see) snakes around the place but not had one enter the house before. I have found out it is a Horseshoe Whip snake and is not venomous but can be aggressive and bite.
Does anyone know if this is true and also why it would of entered the house. It had to cross a courtyard and two rooms to get to where it was.
:scared:
I've seen a few as well, I don't know about snakes, but spiders tend to like dark places, and it is also now getting to the having babies season, so maybe your snake wants to have its babies in the pantry with all that food around, LOL
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Hello You could try this site for more information on this snake
Horseshoe Wip Snake(coluber hippocrepis)

Wip snake

Culebra de herradura Hemorrhois hippocrepis Horseshoe Whip Snake

Snakes in Spain

Good luck and take care.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Snakes in house

Originally Posted by countryboy

Wip snake

Snakes in Spain

Good luck and take care.
Thanks a lot for those links, very useful. It is interesting to see they don't have fangs, as I found on one web site that they bite!!
Thanks again great help
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by countryboy

Wip snake

Snakes in Spain

Good luck and take care.
I didn't realise than any of them were poisonous, as my neighbours indicated they were harmless.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

phantom phixer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I didn't realise than any of them were poisonous, as my neighbours indicated they were harmless.
I cannot think of any poisonous snakes in the world. When I was in the armed forces in Malaya back in the 60s we used to eat all sorts of snakes and were never poisoned (they taste like chicken) but I can think of a lot of venomous ones. (apologies for being pedantic)
Old Jun 4th 2005, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Exclamation Re: Snakes in house

What I have managed to find out is that there are 13 Species of snake throughout Spain. 5 are venomous but of which 2 of them are not venomous to man. The Vipers are the three venomous ones.....all found more in the North of Spain.
Here is a web link for anyone interested, where I found this info out.
www.wild-spain.com
Old Jun 4th 2005, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by phantom phixer
I cannot think of any poisonous snakes in the world. When I was in the armed forces in Malaya back in the 60s we used to eat all sorts of snakes and were never poisoned (they taste like chicken) but I can think of a lot of venomous ones. (apologies for being pedantic)
ven·om·ous
Secreting and transmitting venom: a venomous snake.
Full of or containing venom.

Function: adjective
1 : POISONOUS
2 : having a venom-producing gland and able to inflict a poisoned wound <the vipers, pit vipers, and coral snakes are venomous>

venomous

adj 1: extremely poisonous or injurious; producing venom;

Last edited by Mercedes; Jun 4th 2005 at 3:36 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

rogerb will become famous soon enough

ven·om·ous
Secreting and transmitting venom: a venomous snake.
Full of or containing venom.

Function: adjective
1 : POISONOUS
2 : having a venom-producing gland and able to inflict a poisoned wound <the vipers, pit vipers, and coral snakes are venomous>

venomous

adj 1: extremely poisonous or injurious; producing venom;
Nice one Mercedes

It is important, when beng pedantic, to be sure that you are correct yourself
Old Jun 5th 2005, 2:10 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a snake tucked away in my hubs shorts
Old Jun 5th 2005, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ransi
I've got a snake tucked away in my hubs shorts

Better be careful then, I hear they taste like chicken......you'll have these army types diving down into your shorts and barbequing it.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 2:17 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Better be careful then, I hear they taste like chicken......you'll have these army types diving down your trousers and barbequing it.
Dont know about the taste but theres something in there that looks like a plucked chicken......
Old Jun 5th 2005, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

phantom phixer is an unknown quantity at this point

Better be careful then, I hear they taste like chicken......you'll have these army types diving down into your shorts and barbequing it.
HM Royal Air Force not Army, available for diving down into shorts anytime,preferably gin and tonic but rum and coke will suffice.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by phantom phixer
HM Royal Air Force not Army, available for diving down into shorts anytime,preferably gin and tonic but rum and coke will suffice.

All we need now is some music and a snake charmer.....