Reload this Page >

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Old Nov 23rd 2012, 7:38 am
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TRANSFORMERS

transfer of ´d´band could be 01.00 saturday .that is BBC1/itv C4 C5 et

Last edited by BAT7311; Nov 23rd 2012 at 8:16 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 8:01 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TRANSFORMERS

Originally Posted by BAT7311
NO affect on dish size for SKY channels
It will affect some Sky Channels and be affected by dish size...specifically Disney, Nicks, and some Sky Sports active channels that are currently on 1n.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 8:18 am
Banned

Default Re: TRANSFORMERS

Originally Posted by The Guy
It will affect some Sky Channels and be affected by dish size...specifically Disney, Nicks, and some Sky Sports active channels that are currently on 1n.
i would have thought these will move to 2F/2E in the next few months but as you say in the short term will have an effect
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Originally Posted by Fred James
I've done that with iPlayer and there is no way that it is as good a picture as the Full HD picture from HD satellite transmissions.

Acceptable - yes. HD - no.

Also I am limited to about 2.5mb/s which is not enough.
The BBC iPlayer via Sky+HD boxes is broadcast quality HD.

As it uses progressive download rather than streaming, it is OK with all ADSL speeds.

e.g. The Killing from BBC HD is 2.59gb for 58 minutes. Roughly 7.5mbps. So a 2.5mb/s connection will take about three hours to get it, but the end result is worth it!!
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 8:57 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derek500
The BBC iPlayer via Sky+HD boxes is broadcast quality HD.
Quite possibly but I was talking about BBC iPlayer via a PC.

Presumably to use the Sky route you would need a Sky subscription.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

But even that isn't full HD - it's 720p at a low bitrate. It's good but not as good as the original transmission.
World Wide HD resolutions are broadcast differently by various sources e.g.
BBC iPlayer - 1,280 x 720p
iPlayer - 1,280 x 1080p (HD)
Netflix - 1,280 x 720p
Hulu - 1,280 x 720p
iTunes/Apple TV - 1,280 x 1080p (HD)

All of these give excellent results, as anyone who has the right equipment will know.
The problems occur, with slow internet speeds, and TVs that have a slow pixel response time of more than 3.0 milliseconds (important to check when purchasing, as some are 8.0ms). The size of the TV has nothing to do with it..... TVs of the same spec. the 720p picture will look the same on a 30 inch TV as it does on a 50 inch one, the same goes for 1080p.

John

Last edited by Saxy; Nov 23rd 2012 at 10:08 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 10:13 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy
The size of the TV has nothing to do with it..... TVs of the same spec. the 720p picture will look the same on a 30 inch TV as it does on a 50 inch one, the same goes for 1080p.

John
Not true. On a larger TV with the same resolution the pixel density is lower so the picture is not as good.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Not true. On a larger TV with the same resolution the pixel density is lower so the picture is not as good.
Same spec, same number of pixels, same picture. HD or whatever.
It doesn't look so good on a large screen? So why have one?

John
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 2:45 pm

John
I watch HD TV on a 46" screen at the recommended distance of about 6 feet and the picture is perfect.

You obviously don't understand what pixel density is - the big screen has the same number of dots as a small screen but they are spread out further so the density is less and the picture is poor unless the pixel density at the chosen viewing distance is high enough.

If you are used to looking at a large screen in HD and reduce the pixel density by using anything less than full HD transmissions the quality of the image will be less unless you move further away.

If I am forced to watch internet TV then the picture I am used to will be worse.

It's as simple as that.

It's not going to be a problem as I have room for a 4m dish in my garden but I am looking at alternatives for those who don't have that option.

I really don't want to discuss this further with you as you clearly unable to see my point of view.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

John
Oh dear I think you have revealed a woeful lack of knowledge on this topic. Best to keep quiet I think.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Quite possibly but I was talking about BBC iPlayer via a PC.

Presumably to use the Sky route you would need a Sky subscription.
For BBC iPlayer you need the Sky+ subscription.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by derek500
For BBC iPlayer you need the Sky+ subscription.
Yes I feared that was the case. It makes it an expensive option if you are not already a subscriber.

What is more interesting is the Sky Go option as you can share this with an existing subscriber as it is free if he has a subscription and you are allowed to have it on two devices so it is an easy option to share.

I am looking into it but the channels you can get are limited especially if you use it on an iPad/Pod/Phone. At least if you do use the Apple route, with an Apple TV box you can stream it straight to the TV with no cables.

The other advantage of the Apple TV is that it seems to handle HD video streams well on a sub 3mb/s connection. The HD video trailers I have seen are exceptional. You have to wait a bit to fill the buffers but after that it's really good. I don't understand how it works but it's very good.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biffta
Oh dear I think you have revealed a woeful lack of knowledge on this topic. Best to keep quiet I think.
The important part is the speed that the pixels light and switch off (the response rate). The best results are TVs that have 3.0 milliseconds or less, any more than that, and that is where blurring occurs.
The other thing is the frame refresh rate (the speed at which the frame changes), with 60 Hz. being the standard for HD.
Televisions. With 120 & 240 Hz rates are simply doubling and quadrupling that rate (Overclocking) this will give less judder.
With HD the source materiel is 60 HZ, you cannot get more information onto the screen than that. Overclocking is just a way of trying to make it look better.

If you are receiving a 60hz 1080p transmitted signal, be it Sat. or good speed internet, that is the signal - HD!

John
Old Nov 24th 2012, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

I watch HD TV on a 46" screen at the recommended distance of about 6 feet and the picture is perfect.

You obviously don't understand what pixel density is - the big screen has the same number of dots as a small screen but they are spread out further so the density is less and the picture is poor unless the pixel density at the chosen viewing distance is high enough.

If you are used to looking at a large screen in HD and reduce the pixel density by using anything less than full HD transmissions the quality of the image will be less unless you move further away.

If I am forced to watch internet TV then the picture I am used to will be worse.

It's as simple as that.

It's not going to be a problem as I have room for a 4m dish in my garden but I am looking at alternatives for those who don't have that option.

I really don't want to discuss this further with you as you clearly unable to see my point of view.
Fred you don't seam to realize that we have said the same thing!
In post 51, I say that the picture will be the same, and it is. (the information on the screen is the same regardless of size). I didn't mention pixel density!
You are the one who says that the picture on the larger screen will not be as good, not me! We both know, that at the recommended viewing distance it will appear to be the same.
Now what I tried to show in post 51, is that according to the 'World Wide Web HD Resolutions' list, the source materiel on the internet (both 720p & 1080p) is HD. If your internet speed is fast enough (no buffering), you will have HD television.
I hope this clears up any misunderstanding. Our aim is the same, to help people with TV viewing problems!!!!!

Keeep Watching

John

Last edited by Saxy; Nov 24th 2012 at 7:11 am.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 7:04 am
Banned

test show
Catalonia needs 1m/1.2m
Spanish south coast 1.6/1.8m
Portugal 2m plus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.