Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Old Dec 14th 2012, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
If it comes to it and we have to go the internet route say filmon via the internet it means that our Sky plus will be a complete waste of time, won´t it?
Get a Buffalo dd-wrt router (less than £30 on Amazon) and a VPN account (£40 a year) and you can use your Sky+ box for all the catch up services(BBC, ITV, C4 Five and Sky) on your Sky+ box.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 4:05 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derek500
Get a Buffalo dd-wrt router (less than £30 on Amazon) and a VPN account (£40 a year) and you can use your Sky+ box for all the catch up services(BBC, ITV, C4 Five and Sky) on your Sky+ box.
Its is only Sky+HD boxes isnt it?
Dont think Sky+ boxes have catch up services.
But it uses the hard drive recording functions of the sky+hd box, so a sky subscription is requried.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
Its is only Sky+HD boxes isnt it?
Dont think Sky+ boxes have catch up services.
But it uses the hard drive recording functions of the sky+hd box, so a sky subscription is requried.
Got the Sky + HD box so would we still have to pay the full subscription plus

the 40 quid a year?
Old Dec 14th 2012, 4:48 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

It can be using their "freesatfromsky" card £10 per month - and you will have access to catch up from the "free to air" channels - currently BBC ITV Five...no 4od on sky yet.

But you may as well go for the extra and pay for their entertainment pack at £21 (i think) per month and get a range of other channels as well.

So you can use it without "the full subscription "

Obviously, you will only get catch up on the SKy channels you pay for. If you dont sub for the Sky Sports chanenls, you will not get Sky SPorts in catchup...

And you have to activate the service - either by calling SKy or via a MySky account...
Old Dec 14th 2012, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

It can be using their "freesatfromsky" card £10 per month - and you will have access to catch up from the "free to air" channels - currently BBC ITV Five...no 4od on sky yet.

But you may as well go for the extra and pay for their entertainment pack at £21 (i think) per month and get a range of other channels as well.

So you can use it without "the full subscription "

Obviously, you will only get catch up on the SKy channels you pay for. If you dont sub for the Sky Sports chanenls, you will not get Sky SPorts in catchup...

And you have to activate the service - either by calling SKy or via a MySky account...
So may as well keep our full Sky service then? We are paying 65 quid a month.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
So may as well keep our full Sky service then? We are paying 65 quid a month.
If you want to use the SKy catchup service for the sky channels you currently subscribe to, you need to subscribe to a VPN service, get a VPN DDWRT router, configure the router, contact sky to get catch up activated, and connect the router to the sky box.

If you dont want to use the sky catch up serivce, then you dont have to do anything.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

I believe only the BBC catch-up service is available with Sky+ sub. You need the £21 entertainment pack to get ITV, C5 and Sky.

The ITV Player is ad free on Sky catch-up, unlike the web based version and C5 is available in HD.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

jackteet is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Hi, My sky box cost €30.00 from a local spanish market and we get free to air channels via a dish.We have a fast laptop and a wifi router. I didn`t have a sky account when we lived in the uk. I would like as many channels as possible through my laptop and viewed on my tv and controlled by the remote control.
I know that I must subscribe to a VPN service.Will this allow me to become a new sky subscriber. I am thinking of sky "go".
Can I still use my old sky box or will I need to up-date the box to receive progs via my laptop.
What additional devices will I need to achieve the above. I am grateful to you guys for your advices but there are so many different suggestions that I don`t know which route [ or router ] to take. Thanks.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by jackteet
Hi, My sky box cost €30.00 from a local spanish market and we get free to air channels via a dish.We have a fast laptop and a wifi router. I didn`t have a sky account when we lived in the uk. I would like as many channels as possible through my laptop and viewed on my tv and controlled by the remote control.
Not all Sky pay channels are available via Sky Go.

So, as you already have a sky box and it is in use, why not simply get a sky card and subscribe to "as many channels as possible"? No need to do anything via laptop.

I know that I must subscribe to a VPN service.Will this allow me to become a new sky subscriber. I am thinking of sky "go"..
If you want to use Sky go in Spain, then you will need to become a Sky Go subscriber, and a VPN subscriber.
Connect your laptop to the TV by using a HDMI cable - assuming the TV and laptop have HDMI connections.
Otherwise, it will depend on what "video" out put connections your laptop has...if it has a VGA PC output, and you tv has a PC VGA input, then use that connections - but for thids the audio will still be on the laptop, unles you conenct the headhoen audio to the tv or a stereo.

Can I still use my old sky box or will I need to up-date the box to receive progs via my laptop.
As you have a sky box, why not get a sky card and subscribe to "as many channels as possible"? No need to connect it to a laptop, you simply connect the sky box to the TV and change via the remote.

Last edited by The Guy; Dec 15th 2012 at 7:20 am.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 7:21 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I know that I must subscribe to a VPN service.Will this allow me to become a new sky subscriber. I am thinking of sky "go".
Sky Go is an interesting option.

If you are a Sky subscriber you can get the service free. It allows you to receive programs live on your PC phone or tablet. The channels you will get are tied to the channels you are paying for on your existing Sky account. For some reason they are somewhat limited on phones and tablets, basically they won't give you the "entertainment" package but if you have Sports and Movies you get those on both types of device.

You can register two devices on the same account and use them at the same time. If you have friends or family in the UK who do not use the service or do but only use one device there is no reason why you cannot use it on their behalf if they sign up for it and give you the sign in detail.

Clearly you will need a VPN or equivalent to access it in Spain.

It is also possible to sign up for the service without having a Sky box. It is available as a stand alone service but the charges are much the same as the equivalent Sky subscription.

Details at http://www.sky.com/products/ways-to-...-go/index.html
Old Dec 15th 2012, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

jackteet is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Hi Guys, thanks very much for the detailed info. My earlier question is based upon there being no tv signal available through a dish; leaving IPTV as the only option. That being the case I appreciate that I need a VPN service but I shall want to either connect my laptop to my tv or to a box.Either way I want to be able to operate the tv channels with a remote control.
I am not and have never subscribed to sky. My old sky box is about 7 tears old and does not have a card.
Can I have IPTv and stream this from my laptop through my existing sky box or shall I need to buy a new box with a compatible remote control. Sorry that my questions are so basic but my knowledge is extremely limited.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 5:06 pm

Can I have IPTv and stream this from my laptop through my existing sky box
With IPTV you usally get a set top box from the IPTV provider. You connect this to the router, and to the TV.

If you simply mean streaming channels from the internet on your laptop to the TV, then it is a case of connecting the laptop to the TV and the router. You use the interface of the service you have chosen to choose what chanenls you want to watch - eg on filmon move the mouse to the channel you want to watch and click to watch. No need for a sky box, or having to connect the laptop to the sky box...

If you are wanting to use "sky go", then you do not need a satellite box - simply the laptop connect to the vpn and router and to the TV....and get a "sky go" subscription.

If you want to use the catch up services on a sky box, then you will need a Sky+HD box,a satellite dish / signal, a sky subscription, a vpn, a router. No need for a laptop.

Last edited by The Guy; Dec 15th 2012 at 5:20 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My earlier question is based upon there being no tv signal available through a dish; leaving IPTV as the only option.
Your earlier post suggested you were getting free to air channels, but above you say there is no signal. Do I take it you have lost everything recently and are now getting nothing whatever from the dish? Where are you located and what is your dish size?
Old Dec 16th 2012, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Biffta
Your earlier post suggested you were getting free to air channels, but above you say there is no signal. Do I take it you have lost everything recently and are now getting nothing whatever from the dish? Where are you located and what is your dish size?
i think the post was about "what can i do when i lose the signal...."
Old Dec 16th 2012, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I may have to rely on the "early Sunday morning" defence for getting my interpretation of the messages incorrect!
However (!!), the earlier message said "we get free to air via a dish" and the later one said "My earlier question is based upon there being no TV signal available through a dish".
I'm still confused somewhat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.