Reload this Page >

Setting up a Sydney Style Cafe in Gandia

Setting up a Sydney Style Cafe in Gandia

Old Jan 13th 2017, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

ThomasRozant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up a Sydney Style Cafe in Gandia

Hi,

My wife and I are looking into opening a Sydney style cafe in Gandia, read opened Breakky, Almuerzo, Lunch and Afternoon tea, serving really good coffee and tea, doing sweet and savoury dishes inspired by our travels (we worked in Ireland, London, Spain, Australia, New Zealand) mostly sandwiches, salads, toast with goodies, pastries and cakes in the first time. Everything done in house as much as possible (inc. bread, cured meat/fish, pickles...).

Anyway, the point is, we were wondering where to find data on who leaves in Gandia, as our main target would be high income residents, local or foreigners tired of eating the same traditional spanish food everyday, not necessarily well done.

If anyone knows of small restaurant closing, let us know.

Thanks.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up a Sydney Style Cafe in Gandia

Originally Posted by ThomasRozant
Hi,

My wife and I are looking into opening a Sydney style cafe in Gandia, read opened Breakky, Almuerzo, Lunch and Afternoon tea, serving really good coffee and tea, doing sweet and savoury dishes inspired by our travels (we worked in Ireland, London, Spain, Australia, New Zealand) mostly sandwiches, salads, toast with goodies, pastries and cakes in the first time. Everything done in house as much as possible (inc. bread, cured meat/fish, pickles...).

Anyway, the point is, we were wondering where to find data on who leaves in Gandia, as our main target would be high income residents, local or foreigners tired of eating the same traditional spanish food everyday, not necessarily well done.

Thanks.

You could maybe research here to see what people want and need.
https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restauran...n_Country.html

You seem to have experience, so no need to tell you the problems you have in touristic places like Spain.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with this all I can tell you is an Australian guy had a similar idea in Playa San Juan (Alicante) and his coffee was fabulous but it only lasted a year. Mind you his location was not great but people are not keen to pay premium prices (PSJ is a well off area) these days. Lots of research needed!
Old Jan 13th 2017, 2:35 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 13th 2017, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean the beach or city area and whereabouts in whichever of the two areas you are looking at?
Old Jan 13th 2017, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this

L'OBSERVATORI INFORMACIÓ SOCIOECONÒMICA DE GANDIA I LA SAFOR
Old Jan 14th 2017, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

A variation in breakfasts would be nice but there's no way I'd pay Starbucks prices for coffee when about one euro will get me what I prefer in a normal place.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 7:43 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble is with Gandia...
open down on the beach, then you only have about 3 or 4 months when the area is busy. Non peak times and the area is very very quiet.

Open in the city, and you will have people all the time, but note that parking is a pain, so not idea of "out of towners". Gandia is very Spanish, and not very "foreign touristy", so you may struggle with that group
Old Jan 14th 2017, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought that Denia/Javea would be a better area to consider due to number of ex-pats as this is the market your type of cafe may appeal to.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jonboy
Do you mean the beach or city area and whereabouts in whichever of the two areas you are looking at?
The historic center is what we have in mind, a small street of "Germanies", somewhere cute.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mark604
A variation in breakfasts would be nice but there's no way I'd pay Starbucks prices for coffee when about one euro will get me what I prefer in a normal place.
Fair call, except, we plan on serving proper coffee, not the burnt crap 1E gets you nor the sweet stuff Starbucks sells... But I know this will be a challenge to get people into real coffee.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I would have thought that Denia/Javea would be a better area to consider due to number of ex-pats as this is the market your type of cafe may appeal to.
We have yet to explore the town. Any specific street you've got in mind would be lacking a good cafe?
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Guy
Trouble is with Gandia...
open down on the beach, then you only have about 3 or 4 months when the area is busy. Non peak times and the area is very very quiet.

Open in the city, and you will have people all the time, but note that parking is a pain, so not idea of "out of towners". Gandia is very Spanish, and not very "foreign touristy", so you may struggle with that group
That's what I figured, I want to see if locals with higher income would be keen to spend a little extra for better quality in a nicer environment, most places I've seen have no charm and dont feel invinting.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I figured, I want to see if locals with higher income would be keen to spend a little extra for better quality in a nicer environment, most places I've seen have no charm and dont feel invinting.
I think you need to be careful with your expectations.

I quite like the coffee served in local bars. I might be tempted away for an illy once in a while but not very often. The Spanish cafe bar ambience is also inviting to some/many, be they locals or visitors.

You're competing not only on the basis of price, but also on custom. Some tourists and foreign residents prefer to sample what they see as an 'authentic' spanish experience. As for locals, it's a sweeping generalisation but spaniards tend to be quite conservative in terms of what/where they eat and drink.

This is not to say your idea is a non-starter, just that you need to be wary of being over-optimistic about your potential market share.

Good luck
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

Don't listen to the plebs on here; they're about as negative and ill informed as it gets.

The most popular establishments (of the kind u are referencing) for the LOCALS in my town - a German bakery and a French cafe.

If u have quality, the Spanish locals will buy it. They too, are tired of the cheap rubbish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.