Reload this Page >

Setting up broadband from Telephonica

Setting up broadband from Telephonica

Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Peter Squires is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up broadband from Telephonica

Hi there,

Moving into my new property in Muro de Alcoy in January and wondering if anybody can help me with a query.

I have arranged for broadband from Telephonica (not telephonicaenglish) and the modem/router is being delivered shortly. The estate agent who has kindly arranged this for me says it arrives with an installation CD but I do not like using these if I can avoid them.

Anybody know the simple steps required to set up the router yourself through Vista - I did it myslef in no time in the UK, but obviously do not know the set up in Spain. Will continue using email trough my UK ISP so it is just the modem/router help I need.

Any help appreciated

Regards,

Peter
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:15 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up broadband from Telephonica

Originally Posted by Peter Squires
Hi there,

Moving into my new property in Muro de Alcoy in January and wondering if anybody can help me with a query.

I have arranged for broadband from Telephonica (not telephonicaenglish) and the modem/router is being delivered shortly. The estate agent who has kindly arranged this for me says it arrives with an installation CD but I do not like using these if I can avoid them.

Anybody know the simple steps required to set up the router yourself through Vista - I did it myslef in no time in the UK, but obviously do not know the set up in Spain. Will continue using email trough my UK ISP so it is just the modem/router help I need.

Any help appreciated

Regards,

Peter
Err ... well when I ordered my telefonica broadband, the ADSL telefonica guy came around and set it up for me. I must admit, I thought they always did.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:07 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to set it up - it will be pre-configured and work out of the box.

The CD is only there to enable you to change the settings.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:11 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You don't need to set it up - it will be pre-configured and work out of the box.

That figures!
I thought he was extremely efficient and quick when he came here
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Thats great, thanks for your advice

Regards,

Peter
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

hi.Welcome to Muro. The password is on the bottom of the router.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Peter Squires
Thats great, thanks for your advice

Regards,

Peter
youmight want to get your agent to make sure telefonica's "canguro" filter has been taken off your account. It filters what you can and can't see on the web, but it will play havoc with any searches you do. Sort of like a censor with the reasoning power of Osama Bin laden!!!
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunmovin
youmight want to get your agent to make sure telefonica's "canguro" filter has been taken off your account. It filters what you can and can't see on the web, but it will play havoc with any searches you do. Sort of like a censor with the reasoning power of Osama Bin laden!!!
I shall do that, thanks for the advice,

Peter
Old Dec 5th 2008, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Gerry N Hill is an unknown quantity at this point

The settings for setting up a router for a DSL with Telefonica are as follows:

U/N: adslppp.telefonicanetpa
P/W: adslppp
other settings your router may or may not need .............
PPPoE,
VPI/VCI 8/32,
Encapsulation Mode LLC/SNAP,

Hope this helps
Old Dec 5th 2008, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Well probably only to a certain extent... the last one I set up I had to enable the wireless option as that came disabled by default, the router was set up for an ethernet connection only. If you do activate wireless (or if they now come activated by default), make sure to set the option for the password to be used to make a connection, if it is not then any TD&H will be able to connect using your wireless connection, i.e. someone outside your house, the neighbor etc. but hopefully this is something they have got on top of, of late.

Good luck
Old Dec 5th 2008, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Gerry N Hill is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again
Further advice to the last post ...... you are better setting up encryption with a WPA code not a WEP one, as if you lived next to me or any other techie it is quite easy to crack a WEP code, not so easy with a WPA or WPA2
Old Dec 5th 2008, 5:22 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econ
Well probably only to a certain extent... the last one I set up I had to enable the wireless option as that came disabled by default, the router was set up for an ethernet connection only. D
That's true but to set up the wireless option is, of course, really complicated. You stick a pin into the reset button, count to 5 and let go.

Bingo - WiFi!
Old Dec 5th 2008, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

That's true but to set up the wireless option is, of course, really complicated. You stick a pin into the reset button, count to 5 and let go.

Bingo - WiFi!
yes I am sure this could be really complicated to know when you can't read Spanish! but yes very easy if you do...

Last edited by Econ; Dec 5th 2008 at 5:30 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Econ
yes I am sure this could be really complicated to know when you can't read Spanish! but yes very easy if you do...
Luckily I only ever use earthnet cables so wifi is not an issue (if it is turned off which I normally do)

Thank you everybody for your useful advice.

Regards,

Peter
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

It can be really handy to have wireless if you have friends of family, business connections that visit your home and tend to carry a portable. I carry one at times and it can be really handy to just jump online when visiting some homes, if you are not in this situation then no worries. (I don't go up your way anyway! )

Anyway, good luck with it.

Last edited by Econ; Dec 5th 2008 at 7:48 pm. Reason: Don't know what happened to the post! changed it to how it was originally written.