Scam

Old May 19th 2017, 10:39 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scam

I have just had a telephone call that was allegedly from Microsoft. I answered in Spanish, she was thrown for a second then she spoke in English (really difficult to understand her due to her heavy Indian accent). She said that she was from Microsoft and that she was concerned about my computer, I asked why and she said something totally unintelligible so I closed the call. My phone rang again but I did not answer. My assumption is that this is yet another scam so thought that I would mention it on here to inform people.

Rosemary
Old May 19th 2017, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scam

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I have just had a telephone call that was allegedly from Microsoft. I answered in Spanish, she was thrown for a second then she spoke in English (really difficult to understand her due to her heavy Indian accent). She said that she was from Microsoft and that she was concerned about my computer, I asked why and she said something totally unintelligible so I closed the call. My phone rang again but I did not answer. My assumption is that this is yet another scam so thought that I would mention it on here to inform people.

Rosemary
Whenever I get a dodgy phone call I inform them that they should speak to my farther and if they hang on I will go and get him.
Then I put the phone down and leave it for 15 minutes or so hopefully wasting a fair chunk of their time which is the only commodity they have.
Old May 19th 2017, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary

Rosemary
I had a several similar calls from "Microsoft" when we still lived in the UK. They usually try to frighten you by saying they have detected that you have some viruses on your computer and try to sell you some antivirus software. Always a scam but some people obviously pay!
Old May 19th 2017, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Worse still , some suggest that they have remote access to your computer to 'fix' things, needless to say, don't do it. Just put them off by saying yours is a Mac.
Old May 19th 2017, 8:38 pm
Banned

tuhler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KieronF
Worse still , some suggest that they have remote access to your computer to 'fix' things, needless to say, don't do it. Just put them off by saying yours is a Mac.
I always reply when i get a call with indian accent here...yes please and 2 poppams with chuckney..never last more than 3 secs
Old May 20th 2017, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KieronF

This....never allow anyone have remote access to your computer, they could steal all your passwords, banking details etc.....pull the plug out quickly.
Old May 20th 2017, 1:47 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Had a male today, when he started to speak I asked him to wait a minute (in Spanish because he spoke in English) and then I left the phone on a chair whilst I continued with what I was doing when he called. After about 3 minutes I picked up the phone but he had gone. The phone rang 4 times after that so I did not bother to answer. So disruptive.

Rosemary
Old May 20th 2017, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

I once put my 3 year old grandaughter on the phone to one of these cold-callers,it was hilarious because he kept asking for her daddy and she kept saying are you my daddy. He was the one to hang up-eventually and in a very bad mood.
Old May 20th 2017, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pica
I once put my 3 year old grandaughter on the phone to one of these cold-callers,it was hilarious because he kept asking for her daddy and she kept saying are you my daddy. He was the one to hang up-eventually and in a very bad mood.
Love that. Pity that my call had not come earlier when I had a house full of Spanish children. Probably would not have heard the phone ring so would not have been able to use your trick.

Rosemary
Old May 20th 2017, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

Had an email.'re your invoice for ( I can't remember the company) £49.00, should you wish to cancel this, please go to our cancellation page.
Purporting to come from PayPal.
It all looks cosher until common sense kicks in.
As for the Crown Jewels of Nigeria....
Old May 20th 2017, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Last year in the UK I was caught by a TalkTalk scam.
It actually seemed legit at the time. Goes something like this...

New broadband install, but had a problem with the wiring to the house.

BT (Openreach) engineer came and fixed it. He ran tests on the router and noted that some failed (broadband was however working ok). It looked like he passed this info back to TalkTalk remotely (via his tablet) - an important point I think.

Later that day, had phone call from TalkTalk (they said) to 'investigate my faulty router'. I'm ashamed to say that I was not suspicious at this stage because of the earlier BT visit.

Yes, I allowed access to my PC!!! but became alarmed when I saw some weird messages on the screen. I then shut my PC down and hung up.

When I went to use my PC a few hours later, I was locked out and saw a ransom message.

Fortunately I had backed up my data a few days previous (Win 10 upgrade), so I simply did a clean re-install of Windows.

A coincidence? Data compromise by BT? Data compromise by TalkTalk? or a crooked BT Engineer (unlikely I think).

Last edited by lutonlad; May 20th 2017 at 7:11 pm.
Old May 20th 2017, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lutonlad
Last year in the UK I was caught by a TalkTalk scam.
It actually seemed legit at the time. Goes something like this...

New broadband install, but had a problem with the wiring to the house.

BT (Openreach) engineer came and fixed it. He ran tests on the router and noted that some failed (broadband was however working ok). It looked like he passed this info back to TalkTalk remotely (via his tablet) - an important point I think.

Later that day, had phone call from TalkTalk (they said) to 'investigate my faulty router'. I'm ashamed to say that I was not suspicious at this stage because of the earlier BT visit.

Yes, I allowed access to my PC!!! but became alarmed when I saw some weird messages on the screen. I then shut my PC down and hung up.

When I went to use my PC a few hours later, I was locked out and saw a ransom message.

Fortunately I had backed up my data a few days previous (Win 10 upgrade), so I simply did a clean re-install of Windows.

A coincidence? Data compromise by BT? Data compromise by TalkTalk? or a crooked BT Engineer (unlikely I think).

You like to think the best of others clearly. BT staff have less than a clean bill of health when it come to honesty, much like many a large institution.
Old May 20th 2017, 8:26 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I love winding them up. I work in IT, we once let these jokers into a test machine but blocked their ability to save any files on it, they kept trying stuff for about half an hour. We eventually removed the restriction, they downloaded their virus, but firstly it was a mac that didnt run their junk, and 2nd macafee anti virus saw and blocked our attempt to run it. The moment when we told them it was a mac after 30 mins got a stifled eureka moment from them, we really tried to help them but the force of their tech was weak...
Old May 20th 2017, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

Had a male today,

That's interesting!

Last edited by Rosemary; May 21st 2017 at 5:19 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old May 21st 2017, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

I used to ask them what my IP address was. If they can see I had problems then they must have my IP address in order to see my PC . CLICK! Did once, when a bit bored, egg them on. Asked for their email address to send them a password to get into my computer remotely,(not allowed to give it out!!) could not find the windows error log they referred to,how could a virus get past my antivirus program etc. After about 40 minutes asked if the fact that I had a Mac made a difference. CLICK! But I had enjoyed myself at their expense!My friend, who is a microsoft certified engineeer once kept one of them going for over an hour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.