Riogordo

Old Mar 28th 2009, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

GemmaRansome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riogordo

Ok!!!

please tell me if this is ok, trying to research and get as much info as poss so we don't land up falling on our faces...

We always wanted to move out to spain since me and my hubby got together but we always said we'd do it when the time was right... money blah blah

any ways after 2 kids and the wedding last year funnily enough we've still not got round to it....

so we sat thinking the other night and realised that our dream would soon die... our eldest would start school, and our youngest nursery and we'd get too set in our ways to do it... so as impulsive as ever, my hubby says lets do it this year... lets just up and go... the kids are young enough to adjust and learn the language ... we know a bit of spainish... have been doing beginner courses to refresh our knowledge.

So we had a look at rental property fell in love with a lil 2 bed town house in Riogordo. we've looked into getting our health card - sent off for, passports re-newed, found some cheap flights with ryan air and have organised selling our car and furniture. (we live in a rental house here in the uk so no property to sell.) hubby is a builder and also has cooking qualifications.

our 2 bed property is 350 euros a month we will have an income of 190 euros a week for 12 weeks when we move out then that will stop and hubby will need to have a job by then... have already found all the contact details for the local construction companies ready for when we go out

we've looked into schools and doctors etc (all within the town) from nursery to primary.

i'm really excited but i can't help feeling this is all a bit easy... have i missed anything i should have done?

we know that when we get our rental property we must register at the town hall as a resident of the town (is this right?) and take our passports and E111 cards with us EVERYWHERE.

anything advice? anything ive missed? is this possible? is 190 euros a week ok to live off until we find work? anybody know the area well and can give us inside tips? (we've obviously visited the area but i mean from a true local!!)

please please any advice will be greatly recieved.

MANY THANKS
Old Mar 28th 2009, 5:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riogordo

First thing is your UK EHIC cards are not going to be valid if you are resident in Spain, they are only for emergency treatment for UK citizens on holiday here.
To get medical cover you will need a job with a contract or pay into the system as self employed or buy private insurance.
You do realize there it is really hard to survive in Spain now, even the Spanish are struggling to find work to pay the bills.
I suggest you read a few of the other threads on here and carefully think about moving, especially as children are involved.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 5:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riogordo

You have to register at the town hall, called in short the Padron. You also have to register as a foreigner (what was called residencia) at your local Police station. As JDR says, your EHIC card will be no use to you here.

You will need to apply for an NIE number, a tax identifier.

You need to apply for an E106 document from DWP Overseas benefits in Newcastle. You can exchange that here for a temporary health (SIP) card that will last you up to 2 years depending on your past contributions in the UK. After that you need to make alternative arrangements.