Reload this Page >

Right Direction

Right Direction

Old Feb 14th 2024, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

TravellingLight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Right Direction

Afternoon,
Long story short I am looking to immerse myself in everything Spanish and have 5 weeks scheduled in Spain. I am keen to bring my Spanish up and force myself to speak Spanish and pick up speed.

I will be there mid April and wondered, if anyone had ideas (point me in the right direction) of the best way to immerse myself, force myself to speak Spanish with locals - whether that be volounteering somewhere, not sure if a homestay is best, but all ideas appreciated.

I have spoken to one or 2 places (a church and some other organisation) about volounteering, but as I am a mum with University aged kids, I dont qualify to volounteer (as they seek labour intensive work) even thought my background is big corporate, these skills (soft skills, team skills, bdm) dont appear to be usedful to anyone?

Do you know where/whom I can volounteer at (reason to volounteer is to maximise my Spanish speaking exposure )

Help?

Last edited by TravellingLight; Feb 14th 2024 at 1:01 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2024, 9:10 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Right Direction

You might get better response if you say where in Spain?
Old Feb 15th 2024, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, as Missile said, the 'where' in Spain is important.
I wouldn't recommend the various costas, tempting though they might be for a sunny break, because you'll either hear an Andaluz accent, or Alicante/Valencia as there it's a form of Catalan, and of course Barcelona area there is a lot of Catalan spoken.
I'd say somewhere inland would be better. One hears that the "best" Spanish (a misnomer indeed) is Valladolid, in Castilla Leon. Even Madrid might be an option.
Where I live I've always felt that the Spanish one hears is not as rich as that of the interior of Spain, probably because many have Basque as another language.

A church might be a useful place to start. They often have people who pay visits to the elderly especially those who are lonely for all sorts of reasons.
Good luck.
Old Feb 15th 2024, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

You need to say how good your Spanish is at moment. If you are low level immersing into things will have zero effect. A bit like trying to be a carpenter without any tools
If you are a good A2 then you have a chance of actually being able to converse reasonably accurately but less than this you won't understand anything unless the people are really modifying their language for your sake. Accents at low level are not distinguishable - it will all sound strange!!
Old Feb 15th 2024, 11:51 am
Just Joined

I am flying into Madrid but can work travel to anywhere in Spain..

My Spanish level is A2/B1 level.
Old Feb 15th 2024, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Thank you for replying.

My Spanish is A2 minimum - to low B1
Old Feb 15th 2024, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
Yes, as Missile said, the 'where' in Spain is important.
I wouldn't recommend the various costas, tempting though they might be for a sunny break, because you'll either hear an Andaluz accent, or Alicante/Valencia as there it's a form of Catalan, and of course Barcelona area there is a lot of Catalan spoken.
I'd say somewhere inland would be better. One hears that the "best" Spanish (a misnomer indeed) is Valladolid, in Castilla Leon. Even Madrid might be an option.
Where I live I've always felt that the Spanish one hears is not as rich as that of the interior of Spain, probably because many have Basque as another language.

A church might be a useful place to start. They often have people who pay visits to the elderly especially those who are lonely for all sorts of reasons.
Good luck.
Thank you for your reply.

I have contacted a couple of Missions and hopefully they will come back to me.

Also interesting information on the accents and staying inland. I will have a good look today and see if there are any churches where they have such oppotunities to help.