Returners

Old Nov 11th 2017, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returners

Originally Posted by earlyoap
I/we the wife and myself own run a bar in the UK
One of the regulars use to part own and run a bar in Tenerifie. Well this weekend it was her 40th B/D and she and some friends where in 4 couples including her had all returned after going broke in Spain. She is still arguing with a bank. Another went bankrupt but says the bank is still after him in fact he is still getting bills for ( Spain's version of Poll tax) on a property he has not lived in for yrs.
The other 2 couple had lost every thing. But they did blame to credit crunch. Only one couple said they would even visit Spain again. They where one of the ones blaming the crunch. They went as far as to say they would go back and start again. The thing is on this forum its all rose coloured glass's but does it go pear shape for many.
Will say at this point when we sell up here and move to Spain we will be drinking in the bars not running them.
From what Ive seen over the years a lot of people who buy bars in Spain rarely have any experience in business in the UK , they buy a bar thats actually losing money and expect it to support a large family , the vendors usually big up (lie about) the figures , they buyers cant read a balance sheet and the sun fries their brains , it seems to be a constant chain of muppetry
Old Nov 12th 2017, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leper
I know people whose names used to be over the door in restaurants/bars now work part-time in other restaurants. Their partners who struggled to use a vacuum cleaner in their homes in the UK now clean holiday apartments on changeovers. The "reliable" airport runs have as good as died to with cheaper shuttle services. I reckon I can smell somebody who is on a downward business spiral on the Costas easier than I can smell onions. The OP made a good point that many peer through rose tinted glasses on many situations.

Eating out, drinking in bars etc is cheaper in Spain. It is very difficult to make a living in the hospitality industry. Spanish paperwork doesn't help either for those who try to keep everything above board. And the Spaniards will use you only if non Spanish know-how is not available.

The minute somebody mentions a business plan to me, I turn off. I try to give advice knowing the terrain and what has happened there. But, still we have the gung-ho fools willing to leap the parapet and feel the upshot of a machine gun tearing them apart.

In all my advisory posts, I suggest people move to an area for no less than 5 weeks in the off season. Even then I suggest people should continue to rent elsewhere if necessary. Selling your UK home is lethal. Always leave room for a dignified retreat. Burn your boats and you'll get burned.
Also not forgetting some ex pats who have passed through the 'magic cloud' that hangs around the Bay of Biscay. A wonderful thing, and having passed through or over it on the way to their 'new life' avid DIY'ers become builders, tyre fitters become Engineers, the guy that put new lights up becomes an electrician, Corporals become Captains (who only JUST missed SAS selection) and best of all 'mine host' at a Bed and Breakfast, Stables, Kennels or similar. Not being cynical, just seen and heard enough before. Be realistic and balanced, look at the good and bad, think SMART, thats all. Some amazing success stories are very far outweighed by stories of total blind failure and financial suicide.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio
Also not forgetting some ex pats who have passed through the 'magic cloud' that hangs around the Bay of Biscay. A wonderful thing, and having passed through or over it on the way to their 'new life' avid DIY'ers become builders, tyre fitters become Engineers, the guy that put new lights up becomes an electrician, Corporals become Captains (who only JUST missed SAS selection) and best of all 'mine host' at a Bed and Breakfast, Stables, Kennels or similar. Not being cynical, just seen and heard enough before. Be realistic and balanced, look at the good and bad, think SMART, thats all. Some amazing success stories are very far outweighed by stories of total blind failure and financial suicide.
So true
Old Feb 27th 2018, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Lmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond repute

Our local bar, is reopening this weekend. 8th lot of “owners” in 12 years. They paid €20000 to buy the goodwill, spent €22000 to alter it to their “standards”. The previous people were there since September. They also pumped in €40000 and lost it all. The real owners are probably laughing as all they will benefit from all the improvements.
My sister in law spent the weekend with us and would love to run a bar. Has no experience. Think I’ve changed her mind.
It’s hard to run a profitable business in Spain. We’ve just moved over permanently. Retired early so no need to work. We can only hope that Brexit does not destroy our dreams. Hopefully we will have a state pensions paid in a few years time.
It’s our choice and we will accept whatever happens