British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Returners (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/returners-905504/)

earlyoap Nov 6th 2017 11:18 am

Returners

I/we the wife and myself own run a bar in the UK
One of the regulars use to part own and run a bar in Tenerifie. Well this weekend it was her 40th B/D and she and some friends where in 4 couples including her had all returned after going broke in Spain. She is still arguing with a bank. Another went bankrupt but says the bank is still after him in fact he is still getting bills for ( Spain's version of Poll tax) on a property he has not lived in for yrs.
The other 2 couple had lost every thing. But they did blame to credit crunch. Only one couple said they would even visit Spain again. They where one of the ones blaming the crunch. They went as far as to say they would go back and start again. The thing is on this forum its all rose coloured glass's but does it go pear shape for many.
Will say at this point when we sell up here and move to Spain we will be drinking in the bars not running them.

bobd22 Nov 6th 2017 3:12 pm

Re: Returners

I wouldn't say that most posters on the forum speak through rose tinted spectacles. On the contrary most advice given is that since the crunch people should be careful and preferably rent for at least 12 or 18 months rather than buy immediately. Also most people advise against trying to obtain work to live off in Spain due to high rates of Spanish unemployed. From what I read this is especially applicable re owning/running bars. It is more often people wanting to make the move to not just go by what they see on a place in the sun etc. Things are very different since 2008 had I not bought in spain before then I doubt I would now especially with the unknowns of Brexit on the doorstep!

earlyoap Nov 6th 2017 4:48 pm

We will defo rent. Would be surprise if we ever buy. I was just wondering did a lot of people find it was not the dream they expected. Where we live at present in the UK it is a tourist area and very, very remote. We have people come up in the summer and love the place. So want to buy some do most make but a lot only manage a year or 2 then sell up and move back south. Saying its to remote and all the stuff that go with that or to cold in the Winter.
We will carry on visiting Spain (When were closed) We will even find a way to get out there next Summer just to see what is like. dont like crowds.

lurchio Nov 6th 2017 5:23 pm

Nope, just checked, definitely no rose tinted specs here! Have a look at loads of threads from people looking to settle / start businesses / become self employed in Spain, you will see the 'hard word' on a regular basis. Reality rarely ever matches dreams, but its important that the end result is something that makes you happy and glad that you did it. Each to their own on those obviously, but theres a hell of a lot on offer here for sure.

earlyoap Nov 6th 2017 5:53 pm

Hi maybe rose tinted glasses was the wrong phrase sorry. Just trying to ask is there many that return to the UK for what ever reason.
I can imagine its harder to run a bar or you own business in Spain than here even if its just a language thing.
Also dont just mean workers mean people who retire there as well. Do people just get home sick, its to hot or just not like they had in mind.
All it was when the girl whos B/D is in people are always say "why did you come back to this place" or "you must be mad" most people only dream of living abroad.
It was just the first time I have seen such a large group in saying its not all Sun and partying it can and does go wrong.
If I have offended any bar owns or self employed sorry again.

missile Nov 6th 2017 6:11 pm

I would suggest the reasons for moving to and from Spain are many and varied. However few of those who have returned will view this forum, so you are unlikely to get a great response.

earlyoap Nov 6th 2017 6:14 pm

Very true.

bobd22 Nov 7th 2017 7:41 am

I think there will always be those that do return.Probably many that as old age and poor health kicks in no matter how good the health system is some prefer to return. At the end of the day death calls one party left on their own their dream is at an end without the other and they return. For some after the crunch 2008 falling £ I saw some return if they could sell also work became more difficult to get. Then there are those that love it so much are financially sound and will never return. As Lurchio says everyone is different with different hopes and dreams. Fact is just as people do return more come over to try and live. Things in Spain do seem to be getting back to pre crash days slowly.

KieronF Nov 7th 2017 7:51 am

I would imagine that having to work all hours in a competitive business such as a tourist bar would take the shine of anyone's dreams of living in Spain. The rewards are there for sure, if you work exceptionally hard, but when do you get to enjoy those rewards ?

Moses2013 Nov 7th 2017 8:02 am

Originally Posted by earlyoap (Post 12376191)
Hi maybe rose tinted glasses was the wrong phrase sorry. Just trying to ask is there many that return to the UK for what ever reason.
I can imagine its harder to run a bar or you own business in Spain than here even if its just a language thing.
Also dont just mean workers mean people who retire there as well. Do people just get home sick, its to hot or just not like they had in mind.
All it was when the girl whos B/D is in people are always say "why did you come back to this place" or "you must be mad" most people only dream of living abroad.
It was just the first time I have seen such a large group in saying its not all Sun and partying it can and does go wrong.
If I have offended any bar owns or self employed sorry again.

Apart from the ones running a business and failing there are many reasons. You'll see many couples who bought fincas in the countryside and when they get older it's just too much work. With a hip replacement in the middle of nowhere, no friends/family and a home you can't sell, you won't enjoy the sun. Many also forget that Spain has plenty of ugly parts too and once the sun thing wears off you actually see the other bits you'd see back home. Depending on location, loud neighbours, pollution, too many tourists, poverty etc. but because you only had eyes for the actual property the other things were ignored.

lurchio Nov 7th 2017 8:15 am

Agreed Bob. I have always thought (and lived by) that the only thing you HAVE to do in life is die, everything else is optional!!. I don't think anyone can KNOW that when they move over here its for life, you can plan it that way (we have) but with the best will in the world things may change such as one of the partners passing away (I have seen this quite a bit in my area) and the other going back to the UK to re -join family. Health, well not so much. Finances, not usually as if you cannot afford to live in, for example, Rural Andalucía then sure as hell you are going to struggle in the UK even more. (or at least have to subsidise your income).

Its also about SPIRIT (I am not coming the 'Old soak' here) I see SO MANY British people who have taken the plunge and moved to Spain that should NEVER have done it. Not a criticism of them at all, but you certainly need a bit of 'Pioneer spirit' or even a bit of 'daring do' to transplant your life to any Foreign Country, and some people just do NOT have that in their personal make - up. I think they hope 'everything will work out', but it rarely does unless you get stuck into things and make it work out. Often this is more difficult as one gets older and looking a bit lost in the initial stages of the 'move' is normal but I see people with the 'rabbit in the headlights' look that have been here for years! They dither, they ask people for advice and 'second guess' EVERYTHING until they hear what they want to, 'My mate reckons', etc. etc. Hard word is, they are fooling nobody but themselves and causing themselves severe stress in a time where it should be pleasurable.

Its all about being honest with yourself. Holidays, 'A Place in the Sun' on T.V. are all good indicators and info, but its TOTALLY different living here day to day, and every day. That's why its best for MOST people that they 'try before they buy'. Make your plans, come over, RENT accommodation and keep it simple for a while. If you don't like cold winters and hot summers in the same location (like we live in) MOVE, simple as that. When you find your personal Rubicon, get the roots down!

Or alternatively that may be the time to be honest with yourself, 'tried it but didn't like it' is FAR better than 'Sell up (again and this time under duress and uncontrolled), lose a fortune and return with tails between legs'

I have never run a bar (nor would I want to, good luck with that) but I have seen many sad stories regarding them. I can only wish you all the best of luck and somebodies elses failure can never be anothers reason not to try for themselves.

earlyoap Nov 7th 2017 9:43 am

Thanks again for the replies. It was the day the party where in they seem to put a bit of a dampener on our plans and yes dreams. In a away maybe it was good to hear the down side
Yes we will move to Spain.
So enough of the doubting on are side and lets move on with our plans to retire there.
Any one know a good letting agent LOL

Moses2013 Nov 7th 2017 9:55 am

Originally Posted by earlyoap (Post 12376598)
Thanks again for the replies. It was the day the party where in they seem to put a bit of a dampener on our plans and yes dreams. In a away maybe it was good to hear the down side
Yes we will move to Spain.
So enough of the doubting on are side and lets move on with our plans to retire there.
Any one know a good letting agent LOL

Spain is big and that's what I meant. Just like Dover and Polperro in the UK, the differences are huge. Where in Spain?

dougal03 Nov 7th 2017 3:01 pm

I think that Lurchio pretty much summed up the situation.I can only add that in my business one part was sending peoples'pets,to where they wanted to move on to,non-British often but obviously many bound for UK quarantine which was necessary then.A large number of Brits.had made a wrong decision in coming,probably watched too many TV programmes which always showed those who had found an enjoyable lifestyle whether retired or self-employed.Sadly many then blamed the Spanish system which they had strangely imagined was just like the UK especially when welfare benefits were not available to tide them over initially.Others who had been here for years,& this applied equally to other foreigners,wanted to be in their home country when they died .A small group decided life in Spain wasn't for them but another European country.We even sent one pet to Israel(you just have to get the documentation right!)& two or three tried the Commonwealth in Australia.I think you can get pointers from others but you have to be clear in your own mind.Also sensible.Don't be like one man who tried to start a water ski-ing business even though he was skint & couldn't swim!!

Leper Nov 11th 2017 7:00 am

Spain attracts. Too many of us see the attractions and are blind to the pitfalls. Once you sell your property in the UK and buy property in Spain, you are entangled into a net. It's how you handle the net is important. Savings will tide you over only for a specific length of time. I know people whose names used to be over the door in restaurants/bars now work part-time in other restaurants. Their partners who struggled to use a vacuum cleaner in their homes in the UK now clean holiday apartments on changeovers. The "reliable" airport runs have as good as died to with cheaper shuttle services. I reckon I can smell somebody who is on a downward business spiral on the Costas easier than I can smell onions. The OP made a good point that many peer through rose tinted glasses on many situations.

Eating out, drinking in bars etc is cheaper in Spain. It is very difficult to make a living in the hospitality industry. Spanish paperwork doesn't help either for those who try to keep everything above board. And the Spaniards will use you only if non Spanish know-how is not available.

The minute somebody mentions a business plan to me, I turn off. I try to give advice knowing the terrain and what has happened there. But, still we have the gung-ho fools willing to leap the parapet and feel the upshot of a machine gun tearing them apart.

In all my advisory posts, I suggest people move to an area for no less than 5 weeks in the off season. Even then I suggest people should continue to rent elsewhere if necessary. Selling your UK home is lethal. Always leave room for a dignified retreat. Burn your boats and you'll get burned.

People retiring to Spain are a different case. Use Spain as a place where you can live cheaper and anytime you feel like spending a few months back in the UK, Well Great! You're not taking a risk other than being sunburnt, you enjoy the easier pace-of-life and you can watch the world go by from your comfortable perch drinking quality wine at fraction of northern europe prices.