Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Residency in another EU country for American with Spanish wife

Residency in another EU country for American with Spanish wife

Old Aug 31st 2017, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Residency in another EU country for American with Spanish wife

I am American, my wife is Spanish. I believe we could easily move to Spain and I could get residency there via my wife. But does anyone know how that would work for other EU countries? (For example, France).

I know that my wife could live in any other EU country because she's a citizen of an EU country now. But what about me? Would I need to become a Spanish citizen first?

Thanks.
- Eric S.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 7:09 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency in another EU country for American with Spanish wife

Under EU residency law, spouses and other family members of an EU citizen are allowed the same residency rights and they apply to other EU countries. You will be issued with a full EU/Spanish residency card.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

We currently live in the US. So if we decide to move to France or Italy, we won't need to live in Spain first?

- Eric S.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 8:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric S
We currently live in the US. So if we decide to move to France or Italy, we won't need to live in Spain first?

- Eric S.
No. It's actually easier to go to a third EU country than Spain.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BritInParis
No. It's actually easier to go to a third EU country than Spain.
And why is that?

- Eric S.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 8:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

And why is that?

- Eric S.
I don't know the specifics on Spain, but your Spanish wife is an EU citizen. As such she has the right to live in any EU country and the right to have her spouse accompany her.

For the UK, for example, there are fairly stringent financial requirements for a UKC spouse to bring her/his spouse along.

BiP is the expert but I imagine he's alluding to similar issues in Spain.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Aug 31st 2017 at 8:41 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 9:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

And why is that?

- Eric S.
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I don't know the specifics on Spain, but your Spanish wife is an EU citizen. As such she has the right to live in any EU country and the right to have her spouse accompany her.

For the UK, for example, there are fairly stringent financial requirements for a UKC spouse to bring her/his spouse along.

BiP is the expert but I imagine he's alluding to similar issues in Spain.
EEA/EU freedom of movement rules means that you could both live and work without restriction in any third EU country whereas you would need to comply with Spanish immigration regulations for foreign spouses were you to move to Spain.