Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Relocating from England to Coin, Malaga

Relocating from England to Coin, Malaga

Old Mar 21st 2018, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Trerouco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating from England to Coin, Malaga

Hi, I’m looking to move to Coin, with my husband and 2 young children, 5 (in reception) and 7 (in year 2).

My husband is a Spanish national, although was born in the UK, and speaks fluent Spanish, myself and my children speak basic (me) and nearly non existent (my boys) although I would most definitely get tutors for us all, my children especially before we move there.

The advice I’m looking for is on moving my children, who are slightly shy and would need time to settle into any environment especially a Spanish school, into Spanish state or international schools. How have you and your children found this?

Also we would be looking for a rural property as we have horses and goats to bring with us, so my other concern is being to far out from society and making friends. As we have only visited, and fell in love with, Coin on weekends away we didn’t get to see a whole deal of the community, from what we saw it was mainly Spanish and older generations. Is this the case or were we simply in the wrong part.

How is the day to day activity in Coin for a young (ahem I’m trying to hang in there on the young 🤣) family?

And finally, if for any reason it doing work out for us, 🤞🏻That won’t be the case, we would want to keep the property for a holiday home and let, how is the rental market should this happen?

Sorry so many questions, we have been thinking this over for quite a number of years and due to my children’s ages I’m keen to do it ASAP to give them more time to settle and learn the language while they’re still young. But it’s such a big thing I am nervous it’s not the right thing to do for my boys.

Thank you in advance
Old Mar 21st 2018, 1:10 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating from England to Coin, Malaga

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 21st 2018, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Coin actually quite popular with long term "Expats", met several people who have moved there after starting-out on the coast and then opted for a more Spanish environment away from the summer crowds and hassle. Definitely worth exploring as a reasonable -sized community with many facilities and not so far away from Malaga.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Trerouco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Coin actually quite popular with long term "Expats", met several people who have moved there after starting-out on the coast and then opted for a more Spanish environment away from the summer crowds and hassle. Definitely worth exploring as a reasonable -sized community with many facilities and not so far away from Malaga.
That’s good to know thank you
Old Sep 13th 2018, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Carolinej74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I was searching for information regarding UK expats in this area and saw your question. I was wondering if you moved to Coin and if so how you have been finding it?
We are currently living in the MIddle East but considering a move next year.
We would also be bringing a few animals (dogs and cats) and our son who is 7.
Many feedback regarding settling in, meeting people, schools, 7 year olds learning Spanish or anything else would be great, thanks!
Old Sep 13th 2018, 4:13 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to send OP a private message. she has not posted since March.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Carolinej74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok will do, thanks.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 4:22 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
You might want to send OP a private message. she has not posted since March.
No point in PMing the OP because she only has two posts so the message will not be received.

Rosemary
Old Sep 14th 2018, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Feels like a big question. A bit like saying how will my life turn out to be if I take this path. It is a big decision to make with a young family and not an easy clear cut one.
On the plus side your husband is Spanish so there is a certain logic in moving somewhere with his language and understanding of the culture ( I assume he grew up here). Also you say your kids and you have some Spanish which is a plus. You sound too young to want to put yourselves into an all English expat community. That would be far too limiting and disadvantage your children terribly.
Having said that plunging for rural lifestyle in a foreign country , whilst quite appealing in a cinematic-book form, might in reality become very alienating. I am not sure what you intend to do work wise but even if you are able to manage through an independent income it could soon become very boring potterring around all day.
Also never underestimate the necessity of family and close friends. As a young family you must maintain strong social contacts on even a daily basis. Children need to gain independence of their parents quite soon in their lives and they need to see their parents as people who exist beyond the boundaries of just a family
The more time I spend in Spain with my son who is young and well integrated, the more I begin to realise that however nice the weather is and laidback the lifestyle and great the challenge is, I do intend to move " home" one day. Good luck