Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

just HOW windy is costa de la luz?

just HOW windy is costa de la luz?

Old Sep 14th 2005, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

mrs teapot will become famous soon enough
Default just HOW windy is costa de la luz?

Hi,

I've only posted on here a few times but have been missing for quite a few weeks - partly due to being extremely busy but partly because I lost my password and then couldnt get back in when I found it. Eventually I made it back!

I've honed down my property search to the Huelva part of Costa de la luz, but have read on here that its windy there - due to family health complications I really need to know just HOW windy are we talking about? Also what temperature/climate is to be expect in the winter months? I was about to come out to book a flight to the area to view some properties but since reading about the wind I dont want to waste my time only to find out the wind is quite severe as soon as I get there and I need to concentrate on another area.

I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Mrs Teapot (the kettle's on!)
Old Sep 14th 2005, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: just HOW windy is costa de la luz?

.....and please don't say it depends how many baked beans or sprouts you've consumed!
Old Sep 15th 2005, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

In the 3 winters I have lived here the wind could never have once been described as extreme.

Once many trees along some tree lined roads were uprooted in Islantilla but this was more to do with bad planting.

Best
Loco

You can find yearly climate data on weather sites.

Originally Posted by mrs teapot
Hi,

I've only posted on here a few times but have been missing for quite a few weeks - partly due to being extremely busy but partly because I lost my password and then couldnt get back in when I found it. Eventually I made it back!

I've honed down my property search to the Huelva part of Costa de la luz, but have read on here that its windy there - due to family health complications I really need to know just HOW windy are we talking about? Also what temperature/climate is to be expect in the winter months? I was about to come out to book a flight to the area to view some properties but since reading about the wind I dont want to waste my time only to find out the wind is quite severe as soon as I get there and I need to concentrate on another area.

Thanks,

Old Sep 15th 2005, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Loco for replying. Very interesting! How cold do the winters get? Do I really need heating in the winter?
Old Sep 15th 2005, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

steve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to all

I would say yes, it can get very cold once the sun has gone down
Old Sep 15th 2005, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Spanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really nice

Hi,

Thanks,

Hi Mrs T

For what it is worth the wind is much worse on the canaries and greek Islands than CDL. the further south south you go past Cadiz, towards CDS the worse the wind becomes. at worst in the summer it is very annoying because of the warmth of it, at its best very refreshing. in the winter when the wind blows it is with a very cold chill, (if you don't have your jacket on) at night only. On New Years Day this year in Islantilla my daughter and I were in the Sea body boarding and got sun burnt, this also was the same Christmas 2003.

My inlaws lived for many years on the east coast of spain, It boasts the best all year round climate in europe, even they think CDL's climate is better.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

We were on the beach at Tarifa recently and the wind was just right! It might a very hot day quite comfortable. I would imagine in the winter you'd really feel the cold!
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:53 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Chiclana and this year, so I've been told, has been much worse for the Levante. it does upset me, the cat and the dog,but my husband doesn't seem to be bothered by it. With regard to the weather in winter, this year (2005)we had the coldest winter on record, it got down to -8 around these parts. However, we love it here and you just have to take the rough with the smooth. Just think about British winters and summers and there's really no comparison.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:15 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Thanks,

Just joined the forum. I was searching in Huelva in February, and one day was bitterly cold and wet, a typical english winter. But it had also been very cold iland, with many orange rees damaged from frost. My Spanish friends tell me that the wind has saved the coast from the monstrosities and overpopulation of the Costa del Sol. I also looked at Costa Esuri briefly.. not my sort of place, but sitting up on the top in the Parador the wind was really gusting most days. It is the Atlantic coast after all.. great if you like watersports.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Hi,

Thanks,

Puerto De Santa Maria is a pleasant place in a bay that is sheltered from the cold winds, sure it gets chilly in winter but it doesn't have that cold wind that cuts your nose off in other places near the Atlantic.

The flights there are peanuts on Ryan air, give it a try in January but remember that you are a visitor from a colder climate and bear that in mind. We had visitors in winter who wore sandals against us in socks and long trousers.......but the sun always shines!
Old Oct 24th 2005, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

Hi,

Thanks,

Dear Mrs Teapot,
I was on the beach one day with my baby. I got my clothes off and my babies and the wind suddenly got right up! I was in so much pain being stung by the sand, I couldnt move at all, I never felt anything like it. (It was only windy on the beach). Other times around the towns Ive never felt it to be that bad!

However, the beaches are fantastic, beautiful sand and clean waters (every time I have been there anyway) unlike here in the Costa Del Sol. Have a look at this site I have used quite a lot http://www.weather.com I would say go and see for yourself, everyone has different opionions.

Good luck
Old Oct 24th 2005, 6:40 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjh
We live in Chiclana and this year, so I've been told, has been much worse for the Levante. it does upset me, the cat and the dog,but my husband doesn't seem to be bothered by it. With regard to the weather in winter, this year (2005)we had the coldest winter on record, it got down to -8 around these parts. However, we love it here and you just have to take the rough with the smooth. Just think about British winters and summers and there's really no comparison.
Its not even winter 2005 yet the tourists are still using the pool.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Never mind the weather as long as we're together, we're off to see the place in Spain ...as a popular song almost goes like.

The English speaking community in Spain is more important than the actual place or even the house you buy....trust me we've been there.
...then add the sunny days, laid back life style and nice local people.