Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Reality of Life in Gibraltar and Surrounding Region

The Reality of Life in Gibraltar and Surrounding Region

Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Reality of Life in Gibraltar and Surrounding Region

Originally Posted by arko
I didn't say it wasn't British. I just said it's not part of the UK.
Ah yes semantics..or is it<ah>
Old Dec 29th 2008, 1:41 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

If anyone has pics of La Linea please put them hereon so I can view them from my Ivory tower
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Jussieray is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Arko

Again, you seem to be going all Amnesty International, which wasn't my intention of writing the post. I'm not writing about human rights. That's another issue entirely. I'm fully aware of the situation in Dubai and other regions of the Arabian Peninsula regarding the treatment of Pakistanis, Indians, etc., but, frankly, what the hell has that got to do with living there as a Western expat? To put an utterly selfish front on it, it doesn't affect the majority of Westerners living there. The situation for these people is deplorable, although their experience is far removed from the average Westerner earning an average of 6000 UAE Dirhams per month.

Since you haven't lived in La Linea, you're hardly best placed to comment on it, are you? I lived there for six months before moving in to Gibraltar. The fact that it's a border town does not exempt the Spanish locals from dispensing with their extremely jealous, primitive mindset. Gibraltar is, after all, far more economically robust and talked about than La Linea.

I'd love to speak some Spanish with you. I've been speaking it for the better part of 16 years, and whilst I don't speak it like a native (does any foreigner?), I can hold my own on most topics. You're fully aware then, that there is quite a large contingent of locals in La Linea who despise the British and Gibraltarians, and due to their ignorance, believe we're all marauding redcoats with an axe to grind?

I'm surprised you mentioned your bad experience with Gibraltarians. I work with them on a daily basis and find them far more open and friendly than anyone I've met in La Linea. Again, this is unfortunate, as the Spanish, in the main, are quite amenable.

Due to the fact that you totally misinterpreted what I was trying to say, let me rephrase my viewpoint in a more succinct way:

Gibraltar and the surrounding region is not altogether ghastly. Indeed, there are some beautiful areas. Whilst Gibraltar is, in the main, friendly, it does not represent a very viable area for employment and/or a varied lifestyle for the average young, well-educated professional. Well educated Gibraltarians gripe about this themselves. The closest town to Gibraltar, La Linea, due to a variety of factors, least of all a big unemployment rate and a victim mentality, is not very safe for Western expats.

Ojalá que me entiendas ahora, Arko, lo que te quiero decir.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jussieray
Hi Arko

Again, you seem to be going all Amnesty International, which wasn't my intention of writing the post. I'm not writing about human rights. That's another issue entirely. I'm fully aware of the situation in Dubai and other regions of the Arabian Peninsula regarding the treatment of Pakistanis, Indians, etc., but, frankly, what the hell has that got to do with living there as a Western expat? To put an utterly selfish front on it, it doesn't affect the majority of Westerners living there. The situation for these people is deplorable, although their experience is far removed from the average Westerner earning an average of 6000 UAE Dirhams per month.

Since you haven't lived in La Linea, you're hardly best placed to comment on it, are you? I lived there for six months before moving in to Gibraltar. The fact that it's a border town does not exempt the Spanish locals from dispensing with their extremely jealous, primitive mindset. Gibraltar is, after all, far more economically robust and talked about than La Linea.

I'd love to speak some Spanish with you. I've been speaking it for the better part of 16 years, and whilst I don't speak it like a native (does any foreigner?), I can hold my own on most topics. You're fully aware then, that there is quite a large contingent of locals in La Linea who despise the British and Gibraltarians, and due to their ignorance, believe we're all marauding redcoats with an axe to grind?

I'm surprised you mentioned your bad experience with Gibraltarians. I work with them on a daily basis and find them far more open and friendly than anyone I've met in La Linea. Again, this is unfortunate, as the Spanish, in the main, are quite amenable.

Due to the fact that you totally misinterpreted what I was trying to say, let me rephrase my viewpoint in a more succinct way:

Gibraltar and the surrounding region is not altogether ghastly. Indeed, there are some beautiful areas. Whilst Gibraltar is, in the main, friendly, it does not represent a very viable area for employment and/or a varied lifestyle for the average young, well-educated professional. Well educated Gibraltarians gripe about this themselves. The closest town to Gibraltar, La Linea, due to a variety of factors, least of all a big unemployment rate and a victim mentality, is not very safe for Western expats.

Ojalá que me entiendas ahora, Arko, lo que te quiero decir.
Oh dear, if you'd bothered to actually read the comment I made (I'm starting to wonder if you read other people's comments or just like the look of your own) you'd have seen that I agreed with some of what you said.

You are right about one thing you said in your first comment; your views were snotty and extremely pompous. You've managed to insult a large number of Brits living in Spain and at the same time make sweeping comments based on your own experience about expats living in other areas. Making the comments based on your own experience is fine but you must accept that not everyone shares those opinions.

You are correct when you say I shouldn't comment on living in La Linea. However, I didn't... I commented on visiting the town and said that I'd never experienced any of the problems you'd spoken about. By the way, have you lived in all of the Andalusian cities you've mentioned or are you exempt from your own advice?

Unfortunately, you've misinterpreted my comments, which were only made to a forum member who was affected by your opinions on a place he was interested in visiting. I merely said that it would be best to experience the rock for himself.

I think living in those appalling conditions you talk about (lack of theatre groups wasn't it) has made you quite defensive. I apologise if the comments I made in the previous posts offended you in some way.

I doubt if we'll have a meaningful conversation in any language, let alone Spanish (you say that after 16 years you can only hold your own on 'most' topics- why not all? ) as I don't live in any of the cities you mentioned so I guess I'm doomed.

Last edited by arko; Dec 29th 2008 at 11:21 am. Reason: Bad spelling :(
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Jussieray is an unknown quantity at this point

You're obviously of a very conflictive, argumentative, 'Us and them' mentality. Otherwise, why post such an up your arse reply? I doubt you even speak Spanish. I'd love to engage in a verbal contest with you in Spanish to see who can really hold his/her own in the language. Put your bravado where your mouth is and respond in Spanish if you're such a linguistic hot shot. I'm not sufficiently arrogant to assume I'm expert enough in Spanish to converse adequately on all topics. Why, do you think you are? This would be interesting, seeing how your orthography in English is not too good, i.e. Andalucian (Spanish spelling) as opposed to Andalusian (English spelling), and Gibraltereans (your spelling) as opposed to the correctly spelled Gibraltarian. Ummmmmm!

I've no doubt my post did appear snotty to the likes of you, but, nevertheless, it's realistic. What are you, a member of the left-wing fascist, censorship brigade? As I have repeatedly said, sweetheart, it was my opinion, and my opinion alone. I also cannot be held accountable for the effects of my views on other forum members. In any case, I think this forum member has a brain and is capable of making up his/her own mind.

Don't misquote me. I never once wrote anything about 'appalling conditions'. Maybe you need to visit VisionExpress!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jussieray
You're obviously of a very conflictive, argumentative, 'Us and them' mentality. Otherwise, why post such an up your arse reply? I doubt you even speak Spanish. I'd love to engage in a verbal contest with you in Spanish to see who can really hold his/her own in the language. Put your bravado where your mouth is and respond in Spanish if you're such a linguistic hot shot. I'm not sufficiently arrogant to assume I'm expert enough in Spanish to converse adequately on all topics. Why, do you think you are? This would be interesting, seeing how your orthography in English is not too good, i.e. Andalucian (Spanish spelling) as opposed to Andalusian (English spelling), and Gibraltereans (your spelling) as opposed to the correctly spelled Gibraltarian. Ummmmmm!

I've no doubt my post did appear snotty to the likes of you, but, nevertheless, it's realistic. What are you, a member of the left-wing fascist, censorship brigade? As I have repeatedly said, sweetheart, it was my opinion, and my opinion alone. I also cannot be held accountable for the effects of my views on other forum members. In any case, I think this forum member has a brain and is capable of making up his/her own mind.

Don't misquote me. I never once wrote anything about 'appalling conditions'. Maybe you need to visit VisionExpress!
Jussieray: I apologise if I 'misquoted' you. Have a good day.

Last edited by arko; Dec 29th 2008 at 11:16 am. Reason: Bad spelling
Old Dec 29th 2008, 1:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone has a different opinion on parts of Spain, you will need to live there to say what it`s like, but even then different people have different expectations of life.
How boring it would be if we were all the same.

Maybe time for everyone to have a read the site rules, particularly rule one.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:05 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Just to add my own personal experiences and comments; I like & prefer Spain / Gibraltar. But then again, I am not a "high brow Swot". I happen to like having a knotted handkerchief on "me hed".

Each to their own but please - if you make derogatory remarks, then expect to take the flak. If you can't take it - then don't make it or "GO BACK TO ENGLAND" (or anywhere else but not luvly Spain

Davexf (toungue firmly in cheek)
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by arko
Yes, I do speak fluent Spanish.

Granted, I have never lived in La Linea, and to be honest I have no wish to live there, but I have been there on numerous occasions over the last few years and have never experienced any problems at all. I did, however, experience problems of racism by a number of Gibraltereans who had certain hangups about British people.

In any case, if you are as well-travelled as you say you are, you will no doubt have realised that the reality of living and visiting any town or city that is situated on a frontier with another country will have its negative aspects.

Finally, you are lucky you do not work for the UAE tourist board as you'd have a hell of a job explaining the disgraceful conditions that some unlucky immigrants (i.e. Pakistanis, Filipinos) find themselves in when they get a job in the construction industry or a rich household. Of course, they don't include this in the brochures.

I think you experiencing racist comments with the locals you must have been unlucky. I lived in Gibraltar for 2 years and never experienced this once, infact a lot of them are for the british and only tollorate the spanish.A lot of the time they moan about them and I know they love british people.