Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Racism and Spain.

Racism and Spain.

Old Jun 20th 2009, 10:14 am
The Hillbilly's

IanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to all
Default Re: Racism and Spain.

Fortaleza
My reference is English as I have had experience in London, but I have used the term foreigners as the village has 23 nationalities. We all help the village to survive and prosper; Prosper is the important word here, not survive. A village of 100 houses does not support it self for long in this modern world like it or not.

Your second point is valid and all foreigners should register.

Are you the official Welsh ambassador or is it a title you have given your self, new to site so generally don’t know.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I don't find it the least bit inflammatory.

This forum is about Spain and there is racism in Spain.

If the thread drifts or gets off topic or gets personal then it WILL get closed.
As I said it's not about racism, it's about peoples intolerance towards each other which is a worldwide problem. This is directly a spanish vs english thing which I am well aware exists and continues because intolerant people have a platform like this to vent their intolerance and I can't see how that is going to help anyone.
You either except peoples differences, cultural or personal or you don't. If you don't then you're equally as racist as the next.
IMHO, in general it is the english who have a problem with the spanish and they react accordingly and I'm not surprised. We live in their country and if you don't like it.....leave.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 10:36 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
As I said it's not about racism, it's about peoples intolerance towards each other which is a worldwide problem. This is directly a spanish vs english thing which I am well aware exists and continues because intolerant people have a platform like this to vent their intolerance and I can't see how that is going to help anyone.
You either except peoples differences, cultural or personal or you don't. If you don't then you're equally as racist as the next.
IMHO, in general it is the english who have a problem with the spanish and they react accordingly and I'm not surprised. We live in their country and if you don't like it.....leave.
The title of the thread is ambiguous enough - it is in the mind of the reader to interpret it. 'Racism and Spain' is the title. Does it exist? Is there Racism in Spain? Is the country full of racists? You can read whatever into the title.

Now, as has been mentioned before, it is a topic for which many have their own experiences and opinions, good and bad. Comparing these ideas and experiences leads to a decent debate. People will agree or not agree, but it will be talked about. Or we could just talk about the weather.

And as for this 'we live in their country' nonsense, I don't buy into that at all. I have spent more of my adult working life in Spain than UK, I have worked for years, had several businesses, employed several people thus generating incomes for their families, one of our businesses is a school which means we are educating the next generation of our town, mortgages, bank accounts, shares etc ..... then there's all the taxes involved with that. Add to that the various local events I've been involved in (one on this afternoon in fact). In short, in my town at least, I do as much, if not more than the average villager. I think I've earned the right to be considered as more than just a mere visitor in this country. And I am not the only one. Many in Spain have similar stories to mine and I think they wouldn't like to be known as an outsider living 'in their country'. Holidaymakers in Spain are visitors. If you've settled here you are anything but.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 10:37 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IanandKathleen

Are you the official Welsh ambassador or is it a title you have given your self, new to site so generally don’t know.
I would have hoped that coupled with my avatar it would be seen as tongue in cheek.

Well certainly some other appendage in something............
Old Jun 20th 2009, 11:16 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Personel experience is limited.

Try reading about Europe as a whole.

http://www.eubusiness.com/news-eu/1240406221.69/

Section 5.6 here points out the Spanish situation.

http://cms.horus.be/files/99935/Medi...0SR%202007.pdf

Here is a quotes.

"Although there are no institutional statistics to make official estimations about racism, xenophobia, hate crimes and other intolerance messages in Spain, it is enough to read newspapers or navigate on the Internet to verify the numerous signs of fanaticism and the extension of numerous incidents due to preconceptions and phobia to that who is different in the different cities within the country".

I`ve never had a racist issues in Spain, although I`m sure if I was another ethnic race my experience would be more relevent.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 11:51 am
Banned

correveidile will become famous soon enoughcorreveidile will become famous soon enough

The title is wrong. English and Spanish are both from the same race therefore whatever discrimination there might be between them is certainly not racism.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by correveidile
The title is wrong. English and Spanish are both from the same race therefore whatever discrimination there might be between them is certainly not racism.
Well said, Correveidile. There is definitely xenophobia (a fear of warrior princesses ) in every country - but that's fear, not discrimination.
There do seem to be reports of racism in Spain - just look at the way black footballers have been treated by a small minority of spectators. There are also so many reports of "Romanians" being responsible for crime, that I can't help feeling the tag is being applied indiscriminately and in a racist manner.
However, as far as people saying "I hate the <insert nationality here>" I put that down to individual ignorance and just refuse to have anything to do with such people. As Richard Nixon observed "the haters only win if you hate them back". Let's have a bit more love around here, please?
Old Jun 20th 2009, 12:26 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by correveidile
No, the title is just a title and does not make a statement.

In general, I feel posters are talking about what is better described as xenophiobia rather than true racism but I think we are all aware of what this discussion covers.

You comment that the English and the Spanish are the same race, when I see some of the Brit tourists on the Costas I really question that - I'm not sure some of them aren't from a different planet!
Old Jun 20th 2009, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

hi,
im Spanish and i have nothing against people from another countries. I dont mind the colour of their skin, the religion, the sexuality or whatever. All my friends think the same, if not, they wouldnt be my friends, so you cant generalize just for some stupid spanish people. Unfortunately, this kind of people exist in all over the world.
regards
marisol
Old Jun 20th 2009, 12:35 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

This thread is a kick back from the Hearing thread, the original OP isn`t interested in Racism or Spain.

The motivation without much thought was to cause conflict.

A better title would have been including cultural differences between the UK and Spain.

But as some members here have loyalty in other forums, i guess they prefer to cause conflict here.

Sad really.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to add something. I have always think that people is from the world, everybody has the right to go to wherever they want. but sometimes, in spite of not being a patriotic of anywhere, there are people that manage to get out from me this kind of feeling. When someone comes to Spain or wherever and think they are superior, and think the others have to know their language and expect the others have to adjust to them, then, i suddenly feel i am spanish and i think this is the problem, the lack of humility. The problem of racism is not in the place you go but its in yourself. i dont know if i have explained it good, i dont want to offend anybody due to, all the people i have known are very good people and i have learned from them and, i suppose, they have learned from me and above all, we all have respected each other.
marisol
Old Jun 20th 2009, 2:35 pm
Banned

I found this on another forum discussion Discrimination.

Most here probably already read it. But newer members won`t have

as that place is a bit ummmm slow.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_21592.shtml
Old Jun 20th 2009, 2:53 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the issue of respect is an important one, and it's one I strive for when living in a foreign country.

I remember watching my first Moros/Christianos festival while on holiday in Calpe, long before moving to Spain. I didn't know much about Spanish history then, but sensed that the thousands of people lining the streets thought the celebration important.

I read up on it later, and learned. And the next time I came across a lookie - lookie man trying to sell me a carpet, I remained polite, knowing that his forefathers had occupied Spain for 700 years.

I admit to getting a bit fed up with the fake sun glass sellers who don't care that you are halfway through a meal when trying to flog their stuff. And I don't care what colour they are.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marisol
When someone comes to Spain or wherever and think they are superior, and think the others have to know their language and expect the others have to adjust to them, then, i suddenly feel i am spanish and i think this is the problem, the lack of humility.
Wise words and humility. I live in a small community and have met the odd one or two spanish bigots but for me the problem is the english here. They are so arrogant that I'm many times ashamed to say I'm english.

If this is the work of a known trouble maker why let them post?
Old Jun 20th 2009, 4:07 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livit
This thread is a kick back from the Hearing thread, the original OP isn`t interested in Racism or Spain.

The motivation without much thought was to cause conflict.

A better title would have been including cultural differences between the UK and Spain.

But as some members here have loyalty in other forums, i guess they prefer to cause conflict here.

Sad really.
The title sys it all really. As Forty stated, it can mean what you want it to mean, thats why I worded it as I did, I could have said Racism IN Spain, then it might have caused some conflict, but as my OP states, "lets see what you have to offer"

Oh and I think whether people have loyalties to other forums or even other sites is totally irrelevant. Yet more smoke and mirrors in my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.