Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Public toilets (the lack of) and legal queries?

Public toilets (the lack of) and legal queries?

Old Jan 17th 2014, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Public toilets (the lack of) and legal queries?

I have always understood that any bar, restaurant, or whatever is legally oblidged to allow anyone use of toilets and a glass of water. Even police have told me so. Is this actually the case?

Northern Spain seems to be much better than the South on publics. What do you do when a bar is 'for clients only'? Buy a coffee?
Old Jan 17th 2014, 7:15 pm
Headpoopscopper

HeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Public toilets (the lack of) and legal queries?

I rather find a supermarket or china bazar and use theres.
But if I need to go I use the bar too, I have never had any trouble in 5 years
over here
Old Jan 18th 2014, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
I have always understood that any bar, restaurant, or whatever is legally oblidged to allow anyone use of toilets and a glass of water. Even police have told me so. Is this actually the case?

Northern Spain seems to be much better than the South on publics. What do you do when a bar is 'for clients only'? Buy a coffee?
Ask nicely... I've never been refused.
Podria usar los servicios por favor seems to work for me./
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Spain is a million times better than the UK where they raise the Health & Safety excuse to prevent anyone using loos in shops etc., They obviously believe we are going to drown ourselves in the toilets......

So much nicer in Spain where almost every type of establishment, office, shop, bar, has loos which the public are welcome to use.

The only issue is in high summer where they lock loos so people don't just drift in off the beaches which are of course very crowded. Hard for chiringuitos to keep the facilities clean and equipped with the necessaries at these times, if people don't spend any money in the bars, so understandable.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Generally bars are fine. Rarely refuse use. However, I have been told by a certain establishment here in Ibiza that I am not allowed to use their facilities despite the fact that I regularly entertain potential clients there. I understand why they don't want me using the facilities (I often share a drink with street people who will follow my lead so to speak), but it has pissed me off a bit. It is a long walk back to my pension and I have to pack-up all my sketches.

Currently in Ibiza getting over the 'Ibiza bug', officially known as gastroenteritis. Not nice having to work on the streets.

Only curious about the legal stand. Not going to bother arguing with any bar about. There are always plenty of other options.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susique

So much nicer in Spain
Indeed, what could be nicer than a pile of festering, fly ridden soiled toilet paper in a bin alongside the loo?
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Indeed, what could be nicer than a pile of festering, fly ridden soiled toilet paper in a bin alongside the loo?
Common enough in the Greek islands..
Old Jan 19th 2014, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Common enough in the Greek islands..
Indeed, didn't know this forum covered the Greek Islands. Thought the thread was about Spanish toilets.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Just for the record...

IME Northern Spain is much better than the UK. Clean, well maintained and usually with a council employed attendant. Some are exceptional - showers, electric points for shavers etc. Normally no more than a token donation, or free. A 30 minute hot shower for 50 Cents. That is Northern Spain heading West from San Sebastian onwards.

Barcelona is dire. Drinking fountains are difficult to find. The whole of Catalunya, Valencia and most of Andalucia is useless. The lack of public toilets means more people use the bars as non-paying guests. This doesn't give the bar any incentive to clean and maintain. The nicer the bathrooms - the more popular they are

As someone who has to travel for work and spends the vast majority of time working on the streets, toilets are an issue. Bottled water is cheap enough in the supermarkets these days, I'm not so bothered about that. When you're not feeling to good and literally have to spend a penny every half hour it is a bit more than a pain in the arse.

Granada has plenty of drinking fountains. The quality of the water is better than anything you can buy in a bottle. Public toilets are just cabins at 30 Cents a drop. I have never been refused by a bar regardless, and I will admit that I can look a bit scruffy at times.

I know when I was living in New York it was a legal obligation of any bar, or business to allow use of toilets to all. I have always understood it is the same in Spain, plus no bar can refuse a glass of water. Personally, I prefer the option to pay a few Cents for public services.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:39 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Currently in Ibiza getting over the 'Ibiza bug', officially known as gastroenteritis. Not nice having to work on the streets.

Only curious about the legal stand. Not going to bother arguing with any bar about. There are always plenty of other options.
Slightly off topic but....

I heard you had an unfortunate run in with the police in one place through no apparent fault of your own, but otherwise you seem to be getting by ok ?

I mention it because I had a young lady of obvious non European origin, but otherwise seemingly pleasant personality and character staying at my place a while back.
She had hoped to earn her keep throughout Spain by drawing ppls portraits in popular public places, but unfortunately was constantly hounded with a fair degree of nastiness, by police in five major cities and ended up back in both London and Ireland where she was agreeably accepted and able to carry on as on previous occasions she had stayed there.

I haven't a clue regarding your own background, but wondered about your thoughts on the matter in relation to your own observations in places where you have worked yourself ?
Old Jan 20th 2014, 7:32 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Just for the record...

IME Northern Spain is much better than the UK. Clean, well maintained and usually with a council employed attendant. Some are exceptional - showers, electric points for shavers etc. Normally no more than a token donation, or free. A 30 minute hot shower for 50 Cents. That is Northern Spain heading West from San Sebastian onwards.

Barcelona is dire. Drinking fountains are difficult to find. The whole of Catalunya, Valencia and most of Andalucia is useless. The lack of public toilets means more people use the bars as non-paying guests. This doesn't give the bar any incentive to clean and maintain. The nicer the bathrooms - the more popular they are

As someone who has to travel for work and spends the vast majority of time working on the streets, toilets are an issue. Bottled water is cheap enough in the supermarkets these days, I'm not so bothered about that. When you're not feeling to good and literally have to spend a penny every half hour it is a bit more than a pain in the arse.

Granada has plenty of drinking fountains. The quality of the water is better than anything you can buy in a bottle. Public toilets are just cabins at 30 Cents a drop. I have never been refused by a bar regardless, and I will admit that I can look a bit scruffy at times.

I know when I was living in New York it was a legal obligation of any bar, or business to allow use of toilets to all. I have always understood it is the same in Spain, plus no bar can refuse a glass of water. Personally, I prefer the option to pay a few Cents for public services.
I don't know if a similar law exists in Germany, but I can tell you with certainty that German bars & restaurants really don't like it much if you show up just to use the loo. In fact, many of the German-owned pubs here won't allow you to use the loo unless you buy something. In tourist areas, many have it posted at the entrance!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Slightly off topic but....
Only once have I experienced police aggression. It had nothing to do with me sketching (or, anything) on the street. All but forgotten now.

I regularly get in to arguments about my right to work in a public space. If you are not selling, or asking for tips there is not a lot police can do, but they will try, and if they wish to they will quote "occupation of a public space without permission". Some cities give permission, some don't. It is next to impossible to get permission in cities like Barcelona and Valencia. In Ibiza it was a simple 5 minutes at the town hall. The police here seem exceptionally tolerant and friendly. I guess policing out of season Ibiza is not a bad job to get.

I have actually completed a book that details how every city I have worked in Europe handles street artists and buskers etc. Even within Spain it varies greatly from city to city. The attitude of Policia Local will vary greatly also. Often it simply comes down to the discretion of a single policia local.

I have been doing this for so long now that most police know me and leave me alone, or just tell me where to get the necessary paper work.

----------

As for getting by financially; I survive. It isn't about what you make on the street - it is about who you meet. It is a numbers game. The more people you meet, the more opportunities you make. Big event in Ibiza this year will be the opening of a very chic new beach club. My sketches will adorn the walls! That will hopefully lead to more commissions. I have to complete a large painting in Madrid. That was another chance meeting in the street. You would be surprised who you meet. Best thing about Spain is that many people in a position of influence will be on holiday in a relaxed mood and more willing to talk and give you time.

My income is OK, but my outgoings are very high because I have to pay for travel and beds. Work isn't comming to me enough yet - I have to go and find it.

Last edited by TheLostPhotographer; Jan 20th 2014 at 7:58 am.