Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Proof of income for residency

Proof of income for residency

Old May 12th 2012, 11:40 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of income for residency

Originally Posted by Fred James
They may do in Valencia but in Andalucia they don't - mine is now 13 years old.
Originally Posted by lynnxa
the she'd have to prove she can support you!!!!

the certs don't have to be renewed I don't think........... but the SIPs/tarjetas sanitarias do............
Had me panicking for a moment because I had not realised that our SIP cards might have an expiry date. Ran to check on them and neither of our cards have an expiry date.

Rosemary
Old May 12th 2012, 11:51 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Had me panicking for a moment because I had not realised that our SIP cards might have an expiry date. Ran to check on them and neither of our cards have an expiry date.

Rosemary
some do though - a few of my students have had to renew theirs recently - mine doesn't expire either (I didn't look til after I posted - was just going on my students' experiences )

I wonder what the difference is
Old May 12th 2012, 12:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

some do though - a few of my students have had to renew theirs recently - mine doesn't expire either (I didn't look til after I posted - was just going on my students' experiences )

I wonder what the difference is
Mine doesnt need renewing. However ..... when we first registered we had a succession of temporary cards which expired, and we had to keep going back to renew. I dont know if this may be the difference. Eventually we got our permanent ones and they have no expiry date on them.
Old May 12th 2012, 1:01 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Mine doesnt need renewing. However ..... when we first registered we had a succession of temporary cards which expired, and we had to keep going back to renew. I dont know if this may be the difference. Eventually we got our permanent ones and they have no expiry date on them.
I suppose it might be..............

I wonder if there will be problems when they do go to renew???

I'm supposed to be going to sort out a resident cert. with a friend in a couple of weeks - she should have done it years ago really - works here, pays autonomo, kids in school etc..... - for some reason she has suddenly decided she really ought to.......

I have a sneaky feeling she just won't bother now - although she would be able to meet the criteria - it's just the extra hassle involved now
Old May 12th 2012, 1:04 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it might be..............

I wonder if there will be problems when they do go to renew???

I'm supposed to be going to sort out a resident cert. with a friend in a couple of weeks - she should have done it years ago really - works here, pays autonomo, kids in school etc..... - for some reason she has suddenly decided she really ought to.......

I have a sneaky feeling she just won't bother now - although she would be able to meet the criteria - it's just the extra hassle involved now
Well, I wont get into it too deeply .... but its tough! You come to live here, you should abide by the rules even if you dont agree with them. I look on the local Oliva Facebook page and I see people who havent bothered, and dont see a problem with that!
These new rules though, they dont exactly encourage you to sign up do they!
Old May 12th 2012, 2:32 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The whole system is a farce.

I know that EU rules designate you as a tourist for only 90 days but what about the hundreds of thousands of foreign property owners who spend most of the winter in Spain.

In theory they should sign on and then sign off again when they go home. What on earth would that achieve?

For almost all legal situations fiscal residency is the only thing that counts and that is very clearly defined at 183 (non consecutive) days in one year. You can avoid the requirement to register after 90 days by leaving the country - easy for those on the CDS - a quick trip to Gib but you can't (in theory) avoid the fiscal residency trap as that is a very simple rule with no exceptions (well just a few!)

The padron (again in theory) is simple - you can only sign on if your HABITUAL home is in the locality and that in itself would in 99% of cases imply fiscal residency. Of course this has been abused in the past by greedy town halls who will sign up anyone just to get increased funding from the state.

If they dropped the 90 day green form nonsense and concentrated on fiscal residency it would be so much simpler. You could not get a health card or buy a car or re-matriculate a UK car without it and you would be forced to pay your taxes in Spain. People who had paid tax for 5 years would qualify for permanent residency.

They could then automatically give you a certificate of tax residency if you had paid one years tax and change it to a permanent certificate after 5 years of tax declarations. If they were really nice thay might even put your photo on it!

Seems simple to me - but probably that's why it will never happen.
Old May 12th 2012, 2:50 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I wont get into it too deeply .... but its tough! You come to live here, you should abide by the rules even if you dont agree with them. I look on the local Oliva Facebook page and I see people who havent bothered, and dont see a problem with that!
I think that a lot of people will work on the "do only what you need to do" basis and not the "do what the rules say" basis.
Old May 12th 2012, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Well, .... but its tough! You come to live here, you should abide by the rules even if you dont agree with them.
Mitz & Lyn.................Autonomos were/are the one group excluded from registering unless the rules have changed of course.
Old May 12th 2012, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but if you are in possession of the permanent residency document then by definition your 5 years initial stay must have been legal or it would not have been issued.

The existing law says that the only way you can lose your right of permanent residence is if you leave Spain for two years or for serious reasons of public policy or public security (whatever they might be).
How does one get the permanent residence document?
I'm interested as we are coming up towards the five year mark ourselves.
Old May 12th 2012, 3:27 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Mitz & Lyn.................Autonomos were/are the one group excluded from registering unless the rules have changed of course.
when?? the old 'residencia'............. or the system as of 5 years ago??
Old May 12th 2012, 3:33 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
They changed a long time ago. They used to be excluded and didn't need residencia cards but that changed about 10 years ago when they also dropped the income/health cover requirements.

Everyone who is EU but not Spanish, irrespective of their job situation, is obliged to register on the list of foreigners after 90 consecutive days in Spain.
Old May 12th 2012, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by megmet
How does one get the permanent residence document?
I'm interested as we are coming up towards the five year mark ourselves.
If you had a residencia card and when it runs out apply for the certificate, you will be given a certificate with the right of permanent residency. It looks identical to the one issued to new applicants but the wording is slightly different and should refer to "permanente" and it gives a date that you first registered in Spain (which would be the date you had your first card).

If you apply for one for the first time it will not have this wording and ,optionally, after holding it for 5 years you can apply for one with the "permanente" wording.

The wording on the A4 certificate is slightly different from the new card sized one (by necessity) but it should refer to the length of time you have been in Spain.
Old May 12th 2012, 3:49 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Just taken a look at mine and the only date on it is in the 'footer' along with the intranet web address from which it was printed.

Interestingly, the date is some 9 months after we actually came here - did we really leave it that long??

I can't see the word 'permanente' so I guess it's not.
Old May 12th 2012, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

If you had a residencia card and when it runs out apply for the certificate, you will be given a certificate with the right of permanent residency. It looks identical to the one issued to new applicants but the wording is slightly different and should refer to "permanente" and it gives a date that you first registered in Spain (which would be the date you had your first card).

If you apply for one for the first time it will not have this wording and ,optionally, after holding it for 5 years you can apply for one with the "permanente" wording.

The wording on the A4 certificate is slightly different from the new card sized one (by necessity) but it should refer to the length of time you have been in Spain.
Thanks for that Fred, ours is the paper version as we registered just after they stopped issuing the cards, it does have the date of registration on it but it's also got our original address here...I guess we should get them changed!
Old May 12th 2012, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Just taken a look at mine and the only date on it is in the 'footer' along with the intranet web address from which it was printed.

Interestingly, the date is some 9 months after we actually came here - did we really leave it that long??

I can't see the word 'permanente' so I guess it's not.
The date should be in there in word form not numbers, take a look around the middle of the page.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.