Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The pound in my pocket

The pound in my pocket

Old Oct 21st 2016, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The pound in my pocket

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I believe if you check the figure it's

75.9% didn't vote for Brexit

Likewise

79.7% didn't vote to remain in the EU
Apologies to EsuriJohn the above figures should read

62.53% didn't vote for Brexit

65.27% didn't vote remain
Old Oct 21st 2016, 7:47 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

62.53% of statistics are lies

The other 65.27% are not true
Old Oct 21st 2016, 7:54 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Lies, damn lies and statistics.......Mark Twain. Still true!!!!

Rosemary
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes Rosemary but I believe it was the remoaners that first raised them to try and make their point.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's not what I said. I said " ...., it wasn't about "business". ....", meaning that there are other issues that are more important.

I certainly "thought about business", I know quite a lot about it thank you, and I have no reason to doubt that many other Brexiteers also considered it, but I, and others, made a judgement that leaving the EU was in the best interests of Britain. I did so after considering all the arguments put forward, and not blindly.

The Common Market was a great idea, and it's unlikely I would have voted to leave that, and for me it was nothing to do with immigrants either, but "ever closer political union", er, no thanks!

As an opt-out from 'ever closer political union' was actually one of the key opt outs that Cameron did achieve in his negotiations then it looks like you may have voted the wrong way.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 2:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
As an opt-out from 'ever closer political union' was actually one of the key opt outs that Cameron did achieve in his negotiations ....
Yeah, well Cameron's opt-outs rather reminded me of Chamberlain's non-aggression pact with Germany. "Peace for our time." Yeah, right.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, well Cameron's opt-outs rather reminded me of Chamberlain's non-aggression pact with Germany. "Peace for our time." Yeah, right.
We will never know if his opt outs would have worked given he has gone lock stock and barrel.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Should be an interesting year with Brexit and with Trump in charge next month.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 9:54 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Apologies to EsuriJohn the above figures should read

62.53% didn't vote for Brexit

65.27% didn't vote remain
This sort of discussion happens every time ....

Lets take a simplified example. Of the people that voted :-

40pc voted Con
30pc voted Lab
20pc voted Ldem
10pc voted other.

Lab say '60pc didnt vote for you'
Con say ' aaah but 70pc didn't vote for you, and 80pc didnt vote Ldem!'

I think most elections have this kind of 'didnt' result. With the less of the didn'ts winning and taking power, authorised by the people.

In the extreme one can criticise democracy as being a choice for the lesser of the evils. Borne out by these 'didnt' statistics. But its the best system we have vs the rest and I am happy to be a part of a modern democracy.

Whilst I understand that the 48pc are very unhappy, the 52pc won and Brexit means we will get out of the EU. It will be a tough +/-3 years to come and I'm sure we will have to make compromises... but I am glad that the democratic process went for Brexit.

Shame the lawyers are involved in what could cause a constitutional crisis. But I think common sense will prevail, and we will get on with 'getting out'

Jon

PS I don't know where the pc symbol is on my new phone!!

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Oct 24th 2016 at 10:01 am.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 7:14 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

On another note with the ex rate changing it may be worth looking at UK prices, which often dont change as fast.

I recently bought a phone from Amazon UK. It proved cheaper to buy in the UK with my euro credit card, pay the international postage and credit card forex charges than to buy it from my local Amazon with free delivery in Euros. Exactly the same phone. Now I do the same with other purchases.

Jon

PS Whilst I accept there is a brexit effect on the currency.... rates have changed a lot even during EU membership before any referendum talk. A result of the decision we thankfully made not to switch to the Euro.

I posted this on another thread.....

I remember a few years back, the ex rate was far 'worse' at around 1.03. The booze runs to Calais stopped. The marketing strategy of e.g Champagne + Cognac, kept the Sterling price fixed. I actually bought a bunch of Champers and Cognac to take BACK to France! (I live in the Eurozone, so bought with my Euros). Ex rates have fluctuated quite significantly during our membership and would've continued to do so had we remained. With the UK committed to Sterling vs Euro (THANKFULLY) fluctuating rates are a given. In or out. In my personal experience we bought in Spain when it was 1.45 .... and I've used a 1.03 rate for booze! So a relatively huge variation over a historically short period - all during EU membership

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Oct 25th 2016 at 7:36 am.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 8:51 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Buy in U.K. Whilst you can. The prices of imported goods I.e. Almost everything will rise very soon. Pleased I retained my NS&I index linked savings certs😎
Old Oct 25th 2016, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
This sort of discussion happens every time ....

Lets take a simplified example. Of the people that voted :-

40pc voted Con
30pc voted Lab
20pc voted Ldem
10pc voted other.

Lab say '60pc didnt vote for you'
Con say ' aaah but 70pc didn't vote for you, and 80pc didnt vote Ldem!'

I think most elections have this kind of 'didnt' result. With the less of the didn'ts winning and taking power, authorised by the people.

In the extreme one can criticise democracy as being a choice for the lesser of the evils. Borne out by these 'didnt' statistics. But its the best system we have vs the rest and I am happy to be a part of a modern democracy.

Whilst I understand that the 48pc are very unhappy, the 52pc won and Brexit means we will get out of the EU. It will be a tough +/-3 years to come and I'm sure we will have to make compromises... but I am glad that the democratic process went for Brexit.

Shame the lawyers are involved in what could cause a constitutional crisis. But I think common sense will prevail, and we will get on with 'getting out'

Jon

PS I don't know where the pc symbol is on my new phone!!
You seem to have a similar viewpoint to me on Brexit - broadly in support but acknowledging that there will be challenges. The exchange rate will probably be volatile for at least 2 years - fairly predictable and nobody should be surprised about the fact.

On a side issue. Don't you just hate politicians who try and convince us that their views represent popular opinion by saying 'what people tell me on the doorstep'. In the case of Tim Farron, I'm pretty sure that his views on the EU are just that. Not what he's 'overwhelming heard on the doorstep'.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I too get sick of hearing politicians trying to make out there views are what the public say. Let's face it although majority voted out it left an awful lot of people unhappy at the result. Just as it would had the vote gone the other way. I also get sick of those not happy simply being ridiculed for expressing their displeasure at the result. I am sure had the vote gone the other way Mr Farage and co would have simply accepted that? Was that a flying pig that just flew past. We are as a country where we are let's hope they make it work but let's respect the views of all and move on. As for currency fluctuations and using the 2008 / 2012 rates of exchange to normalise the current sharp fall . That was caused by a worldwide issue and panic. To say that the current fall is just fluctuations is to ignore that reality is simple uncertainty over our decision to leave the eu. Let's not gloss it up that is simply one of the bumps in the road we must accept.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Yes I too get sick of hearing politicians trying to make out there views are what the public say. Let's face it although majority voted out it left an awful lot of people unhappy at the result. Just as it would had the vote gone the other way. I also get sick of those not happy simply being ridiculed for expressing their displeasure at the result. I am sure had the vote gone the other way Mr Farage and co would have simply accepted that? Was that a flying pig that just flew past. We are as a country where we are let's hope they make it work but let's respect the views of all and move on. As for currency fluctuations and using the 2008 / 2012 rates of exchange to normalise the current sharp fall . That was caused by a worldwide issue and panic. To say that the current fall is just fluctuations is to ignore that reality is simple uncertainty over our decision to leave the eu. Let's not gloss it up that is simply one of the bumps in the road we must accept.
Surely if there was worldwide panic the pound should have fared no worse than other currencies?
Old Oct 25th 2016, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Agreed. Sterling will undoubtedly continue to be hit as a result of Brexit uncertainty. I am more and more convinced that Cameron sold us down the river through his assumption that Britain would vote remain - which gave him a much weaker negotiating hand. I for one expected him to come back with something more tangible and would have been happy to vote accordingly.

Anyway, good to have an exchange of moderate views on the subject of Brexit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.