Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The pound in my pocket

The pound in my pocket

Old Oct 19th 2016, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The pound in my pocket

The currency markets haven’t got a clue about politics | Conservative Home
Old Oct 19th 2016, 1:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A great article. ..... I especially like "completely barking."
Old Oct 19th 2016, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Actually, no. Brexit is bad for everyone. There are no winners, only losers.

But that's what Britain voted for, so, I think Britain should accept the consequences.

By the way, why hasn't Britain left yet? It's been months. The people voted. Brexit means Brexit. So get on with it. What's the holdup?
I agree with most of what you say 100%. Not what I wanted but that was the vote so we must accept the majority and get on with it because because the sooner the dreaded deal is sorted out and agreed to then the UK can move on. This uncertainty and speculation I feel does no one any good. Only thing is the government must have a formulated plan that has been thrashed out with our own politicians before negotiating with EU formally otherwise we will go in half cocked and come out the worst.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

lucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond repute

Hey wait a mo. I didn`t get a vote in this democratic vote.But hey again,I am allowed back in the fold in 2020.Am taking my vitamins & still eating the mediterranean diet to hope I will be able to take part
Old Oct 19th 2016, 4:12 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rspltd
By the way, why hasn't Britain left yet? It's been months. The people voted. Brexit means Brexit. So get on with it. What's the holdup?

Apart from the fact that it is really annoying Juncker which is a bonus (who knows if the courts will overturn his decision not to talk before Article 50 is declared) but May is intentionally playing her cards close to her chest. The Eu negotiations with Canada have gone belly up but surprisingly it seems the UK has an agreement with them ready to sign when they are ready. Likewise institutions and countries are beating a path to Davis's door to negotiate. The laughable thing is that the 'journalists' (there re no longer journalists only researchers) haven't been told anything and instead of going out and doing some real journalism are bleating that they aren't being told anything. Long may it continue.
Pound on 1.1218 this morning

Sorry, but this isn't the EU's fault. The EU is exasperated that Britain can't seem to get on with it. They've been pleading for some time now. The EU wants Britain out as much as Britain does. And the EU is all ready to go. They know their positions, they know what has to be sorted ... they're ready.

The problem seems to be this:

1. Brexiteers had no "plan". The 3 brexiteers now in charge could barely find Europe on a map, let alone tell you anything about how the EU works (well they did say a lot of stuff, but that was before they knew anything about it, so May had to gag Boris and crew before they reveal how ignorant they are about it). They've been taking lessons now though.

2. After taking class on the subject, they now realise that all those delusions of grandeur simply aren't going to work out like they thought, so now they need to shift to damage control, and figure out what's the least damaging. The economy is just starting to tank (only in anticipation of what's to come, not the real thing), so they need to move quickly before it gets too bad and the electorate loses faith. Yet, it's still not clear how to proceed. Not an easy one to figure out. It's a paradox.

3. Half the electorate voted to leave, and the other half voted to stay. No matter what, they will never satisfy the electorate. People are going to be pissed off no matter what.

What would you do?
Old Oct 19th 2016, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but this isn't the EU's fault. The EU is exasperated that Britain can't seem to get on with it. They've been pleading for some time now. The EU wants Britain out as much as Britain does. And the EU is all ready to go. They know their positions, they know what has to be sorted ... they're ready.

That is just about the only thing the Brexiters have in their favour - 27 different countries have to agree and that is highly unlikely so the EU will be described as a shambles.. Today's discussion was "is Brexit masculine or feminine ?" .. Italy says "Feminine", Germany, France and Spain say "masculine". It's all going be that complicated
Old Oct 19th 2016, 4:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
.... the EU will be described as a shambles.. Today's discussion was "is Brexit masculine or feminine ?" .. Italy says "Feminine", Germany, France and Spain say "masculine". It's all going be that complicated
And there, in a nutshell, is why Britain will be better off outside the EU. It truely is stuff you couldn't make up!
Old Oct 19th 2016, 5:19 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Look, you guys should read this.

I know you won't because you'll assume it to be some sort of propaganda that you don't want to hear, but it's not political. It's just the truth. It covers how we got here, and what we can expect.

British Business

Really. Read it. It makes a lot of sense. Common sense, not daily express sense.

Oh, thanks to jimenato for this.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

3. Half the electorate voted to leave, and the other half voted to stay. No matter what, they will never satisfy the electorate. People are going to be pissed off no matter what.

What would you do?
The people's representatives , MPs , 75% were in the remain camp. This shows how much democracy doesn't represent the people's wishes. If it had gone down the usual route for making decisions, Brexit would not have happened.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 5:39 pm

Look, you guys should read this.

I know you won't because you'll assume it to be some sort of propaganda that you don't want to hear, but it's not political. It's just the truth. It covers how we got here, and what we can expect.

British Business

Really. Read it. It makes a lot of sense. Common sense, not daily express sense. .....
You realize, don't you, that for a large majority of those who voted for Brexit, it wasn't about "business".
Old Oct 19th 2016, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You realize, don't you, that for a large majority of those who voted for Brexit, it wasn't about "business".
Agreed,

I think this article summed up a lot of the problems and questions with the EU.

Flawed Brexit analysis spurs nationalism, not reforms
Old Oct 19th 2016, 7:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Fine. But those same voters should accept the economic consequences, and not claim it's all "loser whinging".

There are some people who give more of a shit about their futures than the union jack. And the future, by all credible accounts, doesn't look bright.

By the way, you obviously didn't read it. I predicted that!

Last edited by amideislas; Oct 19th 2016 at 7:06 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 7:11 pm

..... There are some people who give more of a shit about their futures than the union jack. ....
I find that very sad, that the sovereignty of Britain can be bought so easily.

It echos all too closely of how successive British industries and business have been sold overseas. The major industrial powerhouses of the US, Japan, China, Germany, France, etc. aren't for sale, yet Britain sold off or shut down much of its industry. Now, with most of the family silver sold, many people would have given everything that's left to the EU exchange for a handful of beans.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 7:21 pm
Banned

Yeah, that's precisely why Britain is so dependent on foreign investment. You know, the investments they make in Britain... so they have access to the world's largest economy? The one we just voted to leave?

Wake up. Read the article. It illustrates this in very realistic terms.

I have others, if you're interested.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Rule 50 will be triggered in March 2017 according to PM. She only has been in a few weeks so this seems reasonable.Only then can the Breit negotiations start. EU is aware of this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.