Reload this Page >

Phrase "subject to contract"

Phrase "subject to contract"

Old Oct 27th 2017, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

London85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Phrase "subject to contract"

Hi everyone! Awesome forum!
I'm looking to put forward an offer for a Spanish property. I speak ok Spanish, however I can't seem to find the phrase "subject to contract" - how do the Spanish write this in their offer process? It's an important phrase to cover me as far as I understand it..

Many thanks for any help!
Old Oct 27th 2017, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phrase "subject to contract"

Always use a solicitor for property purchase
Old Oct 27th 2017, 4:47 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London85
I'm looking to put forward an offer for a Spanish property. I speak ok Spanish, however I can't seem to find the phrase "subject to contract" - how do the Spanish write this in their offer process? It's an important phrase to cover me as far as I understand it..

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 27th 2017, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by KieronF
Always use a solicitor for property purchase
Yes, I have a lawyer lined up and I have emailed about which phrase to use but was wondering if the phrase is just a common phrase like it is here..
Old Oct 27th 2017, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London85

It is rare to make a written offer for a property in Spain as any concerns you may have , for which the english would tend to use "Subject to Contract" in a written offer are normally ironed-out in the "Contrato de Compraventa" . This document once it has been agreed between both parties is best prepared by a good lawyer as it serves as the basis for the sale to be formally recognised normally in front of a public notary. The Notary has an important function of document verification and other aspects of the property before the final "Escritura" is signed.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Ah ok.. yes I thought they must do things differently there as it's not a phrase that's easily searchable.
Many thanks.. I have agreed the price with the owner directly, and wanted to say, 'yes that price is fine subject to contract' and then swap lawyers details to proceed.. but it seems I can do that anyway without that specific phrase being overly important..
Old Oct 28th 2017, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, its important you use a trusted lawyer to draft the purchase agreement, as the procedure for buying and selling in England is very different from other countries, ie if your offer is accepted and signed for, there will generally be penalties if either party drops out. You may want to consider “una promesa de compraventa” in which you can stipulate that the signing of the escritura ( the definitive transfer of the property) is subject to certain conditions being fulfilled within a certain amount of time, eg clean title, no debts, expropriations etc exist.