Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Paying voluntary contributions abroad ?

Paying voluntary contributions abroad ?

Old Feb 15th 2018, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

robt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant future
Default Paying voluntary contributions abroad ?

Hello,

I downloaded form NI38 and filled in pages 37 to 38.
Will be paying class 3 and have a backlog of around 7000 pounds
sterling.

Now i sent all this via recorded delivery for 5 euros and on 26
January i could tell by tracking that the letter arrived .

I phoned the hmrc about a week later to give them time to process.
Turns out the letter is not in the system. They told me it takes
10 working days for the letter to show on their system. I gave
them the benefit of the doubt and waited another week.

Rang hmrc again and behold, it was not showing on the system.
So i find myself in a futile situation. All i want to know is if they
have my letter.

The only correspondence the hmrc excepts is through the old in the tooth
analogue letter.

All i can say is its damn frustrating in this day and age with gmail etc...

Just wondered if anyone here has gone through the same.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying voluntary contributions abroad ?

Originally Posted by robt23
I phoned the hmrc about a week later to give them time to process.
A week?
A WEEK?

I once got a refusal letter from HMRC two YEARS after I'd applied...
Old Feb 15th 2018, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Give them time

Phoning can succeed
Old Feb 15th 2018, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

RobP is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes.
VAT office in Wolverhampton. Assembled a bunch of papers, "can only post them", they admitted losing it. Hope they find yours. At least you could re-send an email! Why?
Old Feb 16th 2018, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point

I did the N138 last year. It took them on average about 12 weeks to reply to a letter. I suppose they are understaffed and overwhelmed.

If you know the letter has arrived just relax and be patient.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mustard
I did the N138 last year. It took them on average about 12 weeks to reply to a letter. I suppose they are understaffed and overwhelmed.

If you know the letter has arrived just relax and be patient.
I have had some delays to, but in the end everything worked out. The ability to pay catch-up contributions is enough of a benefit I don't worry about correspondence delays.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

robt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant future

Many thanks for all the replies. I guess patience is the key.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I made a back payment and received a confirmation letter with a couple of weeks. However it takes time for the payment to show up in their online system so it does take patience.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
I made a back payment and received a confirmation letter with a couple of weeks. However it takes time for the payment to show up in their online system so it does take patience.
Evidently payments need to be posted specifically to an account- I found this out when I called about a payment, and on the phone they indicated they needed to apply it to my account though they had received the payment two months before.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the payment I made (and they confirmed) last August still fails to show on an online pension quote. Assume it all updates at end of UK tax year.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spainrico
Yes the payment I made (and they confirmed) last August still fails to show on an online pension quote. Assume it all updates at end of UK tax year.
exactly, but if you talk to someone they can correct that in a few days- it is almost as if they post the payment to a "reconciling account" , and the physically make an entry applying it.