Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ordering expat food

Ordering expat food

Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:37 am
Just Joined

jimadept is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ordering expat food

I am trying to find a site or shop that will send me some teabags and a couple of boxes of cereals without having to pay £40-50 for the privilege, which is what most of the dedicated expat food sites try to charge. Are there any based in Spain who would therefore not charge as much for postage?

thanks, Jim in Cantabria
Old Mar 12th 2005, 6:00 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ordering expat food

Don't know what the following is like, but they are in Spain so their shipping may be more reasonable.

http://www.spainsburys.com/

Sue

Originally Posted by jimadept
I am trying to find a site or shop that will send me some teabags and a couple of boxes of cereals without having to pay £40-50 for the privilege, which is what most of the dedicated expat food sites try to charge. Are there any based in Spain who would therefore not charge as much for postage?

thanks, Jim in Cantabria
Old Mar 12th 2005, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sue, unfortunately they only deliver within 40 km of Valencia. Shame as it's a good website with reasonable prices.

Anyone got any more suggestions?

cheers, Jim
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimadept
Thanks Sue, unfortunately they only deliver within 40 km of Valencia. Shame as it's a good website with reasonable prices.

Anyone got any more suggestions?

cheers, Jim

if i was closer i´d deliver for 10 €

is no1 "doing" gib soon ?
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
if i was closer i´d deliver for 10 €

is no1 "doing" gib soon ?
That's a kind offer - although Cantabria is closer to Plymouth than it is to Gib (770 km compared to 826 km), so €10 might be stretching it. However, I followed a link - probably from this site - to Britbuys.com which has reasonable shipping costs (€8) even though the prices are as inflated as ever.

The Coop site offers better prices, but a minimum shipping fee of £20 means I'm nudging the figure below before I've even bought anything.

Britbuys invoice: Qty
Pg Tips Pyramid Tea Bags (80's) 1 4.89 4.89
Shreddies (500G) 2 4.35 8.70
Mcvities Ginger Nuts (200g) 3 2.21 6.63
Robertsons Ginger Preserve (340g) 1 2.79 2.79
Ready Brek (500g) 1 5.32 5.32
Best-in Golden Naan (2 pieces) 1 2.19 2.19

Purchase price Euro 30.52
Shipping (Courier(2/5 days)) Euro 8.00
Total Inc. Euro 38.52

International postal charges are getting ridiculous these days, my mother sent me a similar quantity of food a few months back and had to pay over £25, so despite the individual prices, this turns out to be a pretty good deal.

Of course the other option is nipping back to Blighty for a weekend - I could fly Ryanair for not much more than this. The problem is getting anywhere once you're there, which usually costs three times as much as the flight. Just catching a bus from Stansted to the nearest Tesco doesn't appeal much!

cheers, Jim
Old Mar 21st 2005, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

jimadept,
Have you thought of getting to a large El Corte Ingles - I think I've seen one when passing Santander. The ones here in Madrid do various foreign, ie Brit, French, German foods, with the occasional promotion, when they do many more. Certainly you can get Twinings Eng. Breakfast and PG Tips tea bags, as well as various cereals and biscuits. After all, half of them seem to be made by Nestle, which is a Swiss firm.

Have you tried putting some oats in a food processer? I haven't, but I'd imagine it might make a Ready-Brek like alternative to porridge.

You could ask at a chinese restaurant where they get their supplies from. There's a good chance that there will be an oriental supermarket around somewhere that might well have items like Naan Bread.

cheers,
coralsoft
Old Mar 21st 2005, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the (PG) tip, I didn't realise Corte Ingles sold PG Tips, I'll have to have a look next time I'm in Santander. I don't like Twinings or the own brand English Breakfast blends, they're usually in 2g or even 1g bags and you need about 5 of them in a pot to get a decent brew.

Yes I'm a lazy @#$ and can't be doing with leaf tea. Or food processing oats but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I do buy a lot of Britstuff there already, like HobNobs, HP sauce, Weetabix, Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes and baked beans.

cheers, Jim

Originally Posted by coralsoft
jimadept,
Have you thought of getting to a large El Corte Ingles - I think I've seen one when passing Santander. The ones here in Madrid do various foreign, ie Brit, French, German foods, with the occasional promotion, when they do many more. Certainly you can get Twinings Eng. Breakfast and PG Tips tea bags, as well as various cereals and biscuits. After all, half of them seem to be made by Nestle, which is a Swiss firm.

Have you tried putting some oats in a food processer? I haven't, but I'd imagine it might make a Ready-Brek like alternative to porridge.

You could ask at a chinese restaurant where they get their supplies from. There's a good chance that there will be an oriental supermarket around somewhere that might well have items like Naan Bread.

cheers,
coralsoft
Old Mar 21st 2005, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

In fact they also do Sharwood's naan bread (and lots of other products) at Corte Ingles, I only ordered it to bump the order over €30.

cheers, Jim
Old Mar 28th 2005, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I was a bit shocked at Britbuys price for Heinz beans, you can get them cheaper from your local Alcampo hipermarket, for example.

One of those things, in some places there are Brit shops on your door step that sell stuff for about the same you'd pay in the UK, then others that charge 3/4 times the price.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Yes I'm surprised they even bother stocking them, all the hypermarkets seem to carry beans, HP sauce, Weetabix and HobNobs, plus a good variety of UK and Irish beers these days.

The Britbuys order arrived, by the way, safely and quite quickly. However, it was missing the ginger nuts and ginger jam. I emailed the guy and he said they were out of stock and he'd credited my credit card for them. I would have preferred him to check with me if I still wanted the order though - those might have been the most important items on my order, with the rest being makeweights, for all he knew. Plus they'd emailed me the order confirmation I pasted above here, so for all I knew everything was hunky dory.

So a few marks off for that.

Jim