Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Opening a Spanish Bank Account

Opening a Spanish Bank Account

Old Aug 17th 2017, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

SandraSP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening a Spanish Bank Account

I it possible to open bank account in Spain before permanent residence. I currently live in New York City (US/EU dual citizen).

Planning on relocating to Spain and will be going for short-term visit in a few months to check out the ins and outs of long-term rentals. Figured that having a Spanish bank account may be helpful in the future (I currently have a US and UK accounts.)

Thanks for your help.
Sandra
Old Aug 17th 2017, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Minimum income

MY APOLOGIES. MY MISTAKE. THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A NEW POST.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 1:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minimum income

No problem...I have moved your post into a new thread.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a Spanish Bank Account

Originally Posted by SandraSP
I it possible to open bank account in Spain before permanent residence. I currently live in New York City (US/EU dual citizen).

Planning on relocating to Spain and will be going for short-term visit in a few months to check out the ins and outs of long-term rentals. Figured that having a Spanish bank account may be helpful in the future (I currently have a US and UK accounts.)

Thanks for your help.
Sandra

Hi Sandra,

You are able to open a non-resident bank account in Spain. When I opened my non-resident account in 2014 all I needed was my passport and a recent utility bill (plus some cash)

There were loads of paperwork to sign and photocopying done and that was it.....done.

Steve
Old Aug 17th 2017, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Steve, this is very helpful.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Sandra one addition the bank have to certify to Spanish authorities every 2 years that you still retain non residency status there is a fee for that around 30 euros per account holder. Just so you are aware.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 8:54 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Sandra one addition the bank have to certify to Spanish authorities every 2 years that you still retain non residency status there is a fee for that around 30 euros per account holder. Just so you are aware.
Once the OP is a resident they want to ensure that they get the account changed to a resident one ASAP.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I was just making op aware that there is this ongoing cost apart from any banking charges.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bobd22
There are some banks that will accept a "Certificate of Non-Residence", downside is that you have to trundle down to the police station, or Oficina de Extranjeros if you have one. It not too bad if you can make an online appointment. You also have to pay the "tasa" which is €7 and a few cents.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I have had a non-resident bank account in Spain (with two different banks) for 10 years and I have never had to prove non-resident status nor pay any fee. I have had to re-prove my identity every 3 years but that has been a formality and attracted no fee.
I wonder if it depends upon which bank you use?
Old Aug 18th 2017, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I have had a non-resident bank account in Spain (with two different banks) for 10 years and I have never had to prove non-resident status nor pay any fee. I have had to re-prove my identity every 3 years but that has been a formality and attracted no fee.
I wonder if it depends upon which bank you use?
Not sure on banks but we have to prove non residency I think every 2 years which bank do for us and submit on our behalf costs 30 euros each for me and the wife. They don't say we must use the bank to do this but let us know that last certificate is running out. So presumably I could do this myself if I knew how etc for convenience I let the bank do it. I believe it's a requirement for tax on any interest (I should be so lucky😣). Probably be cheaper to pay a few cents tax on the interest but that's another matter.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Are there any particular banks you would recommend, and more importantly, ones that you would stay away from? Sandra
Old Sep 5th 2017, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

We are non-resident and have the BBVA Online Account. There are no fees and you can get the website in English. We've had it for several years and have been very happy with it.

- Eric S.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Have just checked the BBVA online and it seems that this would be ideal. They also have a physical location in the center of Alicante. Thank you for this.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 4:13 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice

Hi,
Is this for none residents?
I note on the application form it asks, date of residency!
I'd be interested in this account if it was for none residents. Do none residents say they are resident and continue with the application. (I've been with sabadellcam for years and get charged for everything).
Thanks
Lic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.