Online banking

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:03 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online banking

Originally Posted by emsr2d2
I readily admit I have no idea what that means, in practical terms. I'll be getting an NIE as soon as I can after arrival, plus whatever kind of resident's papers I need. I have no intention of doing anything illegally!

It's just people in the UK that I don't plan to tell that I'm living in Spain! Officialdom in Spain will know!
You think they don't talk to each other?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

emsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You think they don't talk to each other?
Oh, I'm sure they do. I'm just not sure what's to be gained for anyone by changing my address with loads of people in the UK, only to change it back again a year later. I can't see anything financial that it will make a difference to. I need all my post to carry on going to my address in the UK cos my boyfriend has been given kind of "power of attorney" with everyone (gas, electricity etc) and will tell me if anything urgent turns up.

I just can't see why the bank would care where I live as I do everything online and don't have any tax implications with any of my money (small amount that it is!)

Because it's my boyfriend that's carrying on living there, it doesn't constitute sub-letting so is of no interest to my mortgage company.

I feel like I'm missing something unsaid here?!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I'm sure they do. I'm just not sure what's to be gained for anyone by changing my address with loads of people in the UK, only to change it back again a year later. I can't see anything financial that it will make a difference to. I need all my post to carry on going to my address in the UK cos my boyfriend has been given kind of "power of attorney" with everyone (gas, electricity etc) and will tell me if anything urgent turns up.

I just can't see why the bank would care where I live as I do everything online and don't have any tax implications with any of my money (small amount that it is!)

Because it's my boyfriend that's carrying on living there, it doesn't constitute sub-letting so is of no interest to my mortgage company.

I feel like I'm missing something unsaid here?!!!
No I dont think so .... common sense doesnt always tie in with the laws, but I see absolutely the thought process.
In reality many banks dont allow you to have an account with them when you become a foreign resident
But most of us have UK bank accounts and access them online all the time. My internet bank doesnt allow me to have a foreign address though, so it has to be left as my UK address.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:42 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with Nat West and they know I live in Portugal.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

I couldnt use online banking in Spain for my UK acc with Intelligent Finance

but have no probs with online banking in UK with my 2 Spanish banks

I currently use online banking with my UK bank. I noticed the other day that at the bottom of my logon screen it says something like "This site is intended for use by UK residents only".
I'm coming to Spain probably only for a year and I plan to keep my UK current account active as all my direct debits etc go out of it, though my Spanish salary won't be going into it. However, obviously I'm going to need to access it fairly regularly to check balances, move money between accounts etc.
While reading the BBC i-Player thread, I spotted mention of having to hide the Spanish IP address. Is this going to have an effect on my using my UK bank website, does anyone know?
As far as my bank is concerned, they don't need to know I'm "moving" anywhere - I could just be on a very long holiday (!) but I'm now concerned that I might have trouble logging on. I've managed to get onto the site before from a public computer in Spain when on holiday, but I plan to have mobile broadband on a UK-bought laptop - I have no idea what that means my IP address would be!

Anyone found problems when trying to access UK online banking?

Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:03 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Cleri
I'm with Nat West and they know I live in Portugal.

I'm with Nat West and they know I live in Spain but they would not change my address to the Spanish one, they said I would have to close the account so I have left it in our UK address which also happens to be my daughter address.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:06 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crispy
I'm with Nat West and they know I live in Spain but they would not change my address to the Spanish one, they said I would have to close the account so I have left it in our UK address which also happens to be my daughter address.
I get statements to my Port address ,they know I'm here,it's no problem to them?...weird huh?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:07 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I`m with Halifax, they allow me a Spanish address, but getting an address change is horrendous, they want so much paperwork.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
No I dont think so .... common sense doesnt always tie in with the laws, but I see absolutely the thought process.
In reality many banks dont allow you to have an account with them when you become a foreign resident
But most of us have UK bank accounts and access them online all the time. My internet bank doesnt allow me to have a foreign address though, so it has to be left as my UK address.
I think it`s usually ok if they are old accounts, it`s just if you are not UK resident they won`t allow you to open a new one.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

We use the Halifax - online banking for current acct and telephone banking for our savings acct. We use a UK address but they know we live in Spain. Everything has worked fine for the past three years until last week. We tried to transfer money from our savings to our current acct something we have done many times. I do not how but we failed the security questions and they barred us from telebanking on the savings acct. The only way to get the restriction lifted, allowing us access to our money, is to "pop" into our local branch with our passports. Informed them we lived in Spain but their reply was "not our problem".
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:15 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by battlezone123
The only way to get the restriction lifted, allowing us access to our money, is to "pop" into our local branch with our passports. Informed them we lived in Spain but their reply was "not our problem".
Surely not ...... and their adverts seem to make you think they will go out of their way to help their customers
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 6:45 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I locked myself out of my Halifax on-line banking last year, phone the help line who asked thousands of questions to make sure I was the owner of the account, and then set it all up again for me. It took time and from memory they wrote to me and I had to wait for three weeks before I could access the account - so that if it was fraudulent there was reasonable time for me to blow the whistle

Davexf
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:22 am
Just Joined

kavan is an unknown quantity at this point

I currently use online banking with my UK bank. I noticed the other day that at the bottom of my logon screen it says something like "This site is intended for use by UK residents only".
I'm coming to Spain probably only for a year and I plan to keep my UK current account active as all my direct debits etc go out of it, though my Spanish salary won't be going into it. However, obviously I'm going to need to access it fairly regularly to check balances, move money between accounts etc.
While reading the BBC i-Player thread, I spotted mention of having to hide the Spanish IP address. Is this going to have an effect on my using my UK bank website, does anyone know?
As far as my bank is concerned, they don't need to know I'm "moving" anywhere - I could just be on a very long holiday (!) but I'm now concerned that I might have trouble logging on. I've managed to get onto the site before from a public computer in Spain when on holiday, but I plan to have mobile broadband on a UK-bought laptop - I have no idea what that means my IP address would be!

Anyone found problems when trying to access UK online banking?

Thanks!
i am from Ireland and spent 4 months in Australia. I regularly moved money about between accounts by internet banking and had no problems. my feeling is if you're only coming to spain for a year then you're still resident in the UK
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kavan
i am from Ireland and spent 4 months in Australia. I regularly moved money about between accounts by internet banking and had no problems. my feeling is if you're only coming to spain for a year then you're still resident in the UK
We bank with NatWest too and have no problems. Was with them for years before moving out permanently. They have our Spanish address logged with them. No English address. Recently used the internet to transfer funds to our son - he does live in the UK. Haven't done that before but no problem setting it up and doing the transfer.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

cavecritter has a spectacular aura aboutcavecritter has a spectacular aura aboutcavecritter has a spectacular aura about

Im with lloyds tsb and have never had problems holding a uk account and being over here. I use internet banking weekly and there are also branches of lloyds tsb in Spain so I can transfer money from my Lloyds uk account to my Lloyds euro account in Spain without incurring charges.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.