Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Nuisance Electricity Tripping

Nuisance Electricity Tripping

Old Oct 8th 2017, 1:14 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nuisance Electricity Tripping

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Ooops, yes.

I have that issue with one circuit. It only feeds two pairs of sockets, and I have replaced both sockets and the RCD breaker, and the problem still persists. My electrician says it is likely a manufscturing flaw in the cable or a bad instalation - a nail or screw through the cable somewhere. But I am not interested in having the house torn apart to have a new cable installed.
You have identified the faulty circuit and if your electrical system has been installed correctly, you can pull the wire through to replace that circuit. Should be cheap and easy fix
Old Oct 8th 2017, 1:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
You have identified the faulty circuit and if your electrical system has been installed correctly, you can pull the wire through to replace that circuit. Should be cheap and easy fix
In America the original wiring installed in a new house is held in place inside the timber-framed "stud" walls using clips or staples, and often passes through fairly tight holes drilled through the studs, so there is almost no chance that a new cable could be "pulled through" At a minimum it would mean two sizeable holes cut in the plasterboard walls in the garage.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 8th 2017 at 2:01 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 2:07 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

In America the original wiring installed in a new house is held in place inside the timber-framed "stud" walls using clips or staples, and often passes through fairly tight holes drilled through the studs, so there is almost no chance that a new cable could be "pulled through" At a minimum it would mean two sizeable holes cut in the plasterboard walls in the garage.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/b1/8a/76/b...ng-the-box.jpg
No stud walls in Spain. Wiring is routed through conduits in walls and floor and there are junction boxes providing access. Or at least that is how it ought to be done

Last edited by missile; Oct 8th 2017 at 2:10 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 2:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
In Spain wiring is routed through conduits and there are junction boxes in the walls providing access. Or at least that is how it ought to be done
Conduits can be used in America, but they very rarely are. After owning houses in the UK and the US, I know from personal experience that there are many occasions when reality deviates from "how things ought to be done".

Like the 12kW immersion heater in my house in London wired in to a spur from a 13A socket ..... connected to the lighting circuit! I discovered that when I noticed one day that the 13A surface-mount socket was quite warm!
Old Oct 8th 2017, 3:13 pm
Started off with nothing

Conduits can be used in America, but they very rarely are. After owning houses in the UK and the US, I know from personal experience that there are many occasions when reality deviates from "how things ought to be done".

Like the 12kW immersion heater in my house in London wired in to a spur from a 13A socket ..... connected to the lighting circuit! I discovered that when I noticed one day that the 13A surface-mount socket was quite warm!
I have never seen a dry stud wall in a Spanish home. During 10+ years I have lived and visited many Spanish properties and in every case the wiring has been routed through conduits.

Last edited by missile; Oct 8th 2017 at 3:36 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
The RCD is not a MCB , the amps are a rating for the maximum potential to run through the RCD it's not as with the MCB a current rating for it to blow, presuming the RCD is tripping when they are away as has been said they are not drawing huge current anyway, the RCD simply measures leakage to earth

As the consensus of opinion is that I should uprate the RCD to 32 amp, I have been out looking for one.
There appears to be 25 & 40 - but no 32 amp.
I have bought a standard 32 amp bipolar circuit breaker as I thought it was not sensible to uprate to 40 amp.
But as I don't really understand your comment (in terms of practical usage), I'd appreciate your comments on whether this will suffice for job, situated as it will be in the position of the old 25 amp RCD immediately next to the first breaker (25 amp) to which the incoming mains are connected.
Surely it will stop the nuisance tripping but will it switch off if there is a short to earth anywhere ?
Failing that, I'll take it back for a refund and order a 32 amp RCD from England.

Thanks to all for their valuable contributions to my question.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
As the consensus of opinion is that I should uprate the RCD to 32 amp, I have been out looking for one.
There appears to be 25 & 40 - but no 32 amp.
I have bought a standard 32 amp bipolar circuit breaker as I thought it was not sensible to uprate to 40 amp.
But as I don't really understand your comment (in terms of practical usage), I'd appreciate your comments on whether this will suffice for job, situated as it will be in the position of the old 25 amp RCD immediately next to the first breaker (25 amp) to which the incoming mains are connected.
Surely it will stop the nuisance tripping but will it switch off if there is a short to earth anywhere ?
Failing that, I'll take it back for a refund and order a 32 amp RCD from England.

Thanks to all for their valuable contributions to my question.

Further research on the web suggests this could be a fatal error so I guess I'll return it and upgrade to a 40 amp RCD.
That has to be the safer option.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

The RCD detects leakage to earth, it's not a MCB which is effectively a modern fuse, the rating of 25 amps on an RCD is the load it can carry up to, the milliamp rating is what controls the tripping of the RCD, normally a 25amp RCD will be 30mamp trip, you could try a RCD with a higher trip rating, if there was a direct short to earth or live to N then the MCB would trip which as I understand it they are not
Old Oct 12th 2017, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Actually the clue may be in the OP. Where it says that the trip occurs when the OP is away and only the fridge/freezer and pool are in use. FFS are notorious for insulation problems when they get older and pool pumps do get a lot of exposure too.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

That's not what OP said, it happens when they are there as well as when they are away, incidentally the reason I asked OP and the phases coming into the house was I assumed he would be like us, we have 3 phases coming in and just use the phases separately so are still on 230v.

If they are on single phase and the supply is phased like the UK there is a chance a neighbours supply can trip his RCD
Old Oct 12th 2017, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

That's not what OP said, it happens when they are there as well as when they are away, incidentally the reason I asked OP and the phases coming into the house was I assumed he would be like us, we have 3 phases coming in and just use the phases separately so are still on 230v.

If they are on single phase and the supply is phased like the UK there is a chance a neighbours supply can trip his RCD
Exactly, if you read my post correctly, if it happens when he is away then it's a device which is in use when he's away AND when he's there. Ie most of the appliances are defacto eliminated leaving those which are always on. Ie the pool and the fridge
Old Oct 12th 2017, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Exactly, if you read my post correctly, if it happens when he is away then it's a device which is in use when he's away AND when he's there. Ie most of the appliances are defacto eliminated leaving those which are always on. Ie the pool and the fridge
Mike I would like to add to that.
The problem could be caused by an earth leakage anywhere in the property, the wiring etc and not necessarily an appliance.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

OK Mike I get your point, I was also going to add it's possible, in fact more than likely that it's caused by an intermittent wiring fault but Fred has got there first, this was the reason I first asked about if it happens when it's damp/raining etc
Old Oct 12th 2017, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

OK Mike I get your point, I was also going to add it's possible, in fact more than likely that it's caused by an intermittent wiring fault but Fred has got there first, this was the reason I first asked about if it happens when it's damp/raining etc

Just to clarify, this was in my original post:

"It is possible that this fault is somewhere in our installation but we think it unlikely due to the random nature of the tripping. Sometimes it can be 2 months or more between “trips” but also it can be just 5 minutes, day or night, irrespective of what electrical devices are connected or working."

Hence whenever we go away, everything like fridge, heater etc. is unplugged.
Yes the pool pump is running - but that's about it !
The random nature is the problem - 10 minutes, 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months - when all of the usual stuff is connected.

Interestingly, you cannot get a 32 amp RCD trip around here.
I even tried C.E.F. - and they said it does not exist in Spain.
Of course, no problem in England - about £20 + vat.
C.E.F. quoted 74 euros for a 40 amp RCD !!!
Old Oct 12th 2017, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Have you tried Ebay, lots of stuff and some sellers ship to Spain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.