Northern Spain, Lugo, Leon, Burgos area

  • Reading up on the area this seems to tick most of the boxes we have and wondered if there was any advice regarding rural living Up North?

    Weather seems to be very kind without the 40+ of the south.

    Your thoughts Ladies and Gentlemen.

    Peter
  • Re: Northern Spain, Lugo, Leon, Burgos area
    Quote: Reading up on the area this seems to tick most of the boxes we have and wondered if there was any advice regarding rural living Up North?

    Weather seems to be very kind without the 40+ of the south.

    Your thoughts Ladies and Gentlemen.

    Peter
    You're right about the weather, though do bear in mind that those areas you mentioned get pretty cold in winter. Leon had bad snow this last year.
    Property will be cheaper than where we are in the Basque country.
    You'll need to be able to communicate in Spanish of course.
    Our weather here is very good; we have little or no snow in the village, days when it might be -1 or -2C, enough rain to keep things growing (average 1200mm/year) and spring/summers that can get quite hot (average 25-32C from May-Sept).
    I never see an English car from one month to the next, but that doesn't worry me. The beaches are clean, there's good surfing, mountain walking, cycling etc.
    I hope you find what you're looking for.
  • Re: Northern Spain, Lugo, Leon, Burgos area
    Think of Wales but 5 to 10 degrees warmer.
  • Re: Northern Spain, Lugo, Leon, Burgos area
    Was in Galicia and visited Lugo the other week, I was impressed by the cleanliness of the towns especially Lugo. On the down side the restaurants and bars in comparison where I live, were expensive, and it is such a shame they have winters.
  • Re: Northern Spain, Lugo, Leon, Burgos area
    Beautiful. However, I have to reiterate the bit about winter! In the mountains you can expect snow from mid-October until mid-May. You need to be prepared for hard winters anywhere away from the Atlantic influence. Choose the coast.

    Leon is amongst my favourite cities anywhere in Europe. I would live there very happily if I had a nice, centrally heated place in the city. Countryside winters may provide a bit of romance, but they are no joke.
  • Re: Northern Spain, Lugo, Leon, Burgos area
    North of Spain is beautiful. Love Navarra but my goodness the wind blows and it gets cold in winter
  • Re: Northern Spain, Lugo, Leon, Burgos area
    Thanks for the feedback folks. From what you say it sounds a great place to visit once we set ourselves up further south.
  • Re: Northern Spain, Lugo, Leon, Burgos area
    Quote: Thanks for the feedback folks. From what you say it sounds a great place to visit once we set ourselves up further south.
    Or, farther north!

    Don't write northern Spain off just because the winter inland is hard. All along the coast, winter is very mild. The Atlantic (particularly the Mid-Antlantic drift) keeps the cold stuff away all year round. It also brings much rain mind. The coast between Asturias and Cantabria is stunningly beautiful - Google 'Picos de Europa' to get an idea. So long as you are on the right side of the mountains (the sea side), winter is not cold.

    Much of inland Spain is on a high plain. 600 Meters and more above sea level. This means hot, dry summers, and cold dry winters. You would have to go all the way south to avoid cold winters. Again, the sea is the influence. Southern coastal Spain is warm all year round due to the sea. However, you don't have to go far inland to experience very cold (but, short) winters.

    If you choose anywhere inland, you have to expect cold from November to April. Northern Spain the winters can be longer. It is only coastal regions which offer very mild winters.

    Also, be aware about just how high you are. Very easy to forget you are up on a plain above the mountains in August. Come January, you are left in no doubt whatsoever.

    The general advice given here is to find somewhere you like and rent for a year before you buy. It is always money well spent.
  • Re: Northern Spain, Lugo, Leon, Burgos area
    Maybe think about Ponteareas / Ourense? Ourense is lovely and has direct train connections with Vigo to the West, Leon and onto Madrid to the East
  • Re: Northern Spain, Lugo, Leon, Burgos area
    Hi TravelBugs,

    We've just arrived here in Northern Spain, with most of our time either near Santander, the Picos or in the hills to the south of Laredo. It's the start of November and the weather has been great since arriving Oct 3rd, with occasional mists, mizzle and only a couple of definite showers. A couple of days ago it turned distinctly colder, but it lasted just two days and today has been 25°C. To me, having left the Yorkshire summer two months ago - we've added two months to our summer. As we're interested in a homestead, the growing season is really long here, there's plenty of rainfall not to need irrigation and the summers are temperate enough not to have to dive indoors from the heat. The evenings at the moment are chilly - but I wouldn't say cold. We've lit a fire once due to reduced temperature, but regretted it! Not sure if I've answered your question - but given that we've planned this for 5 years - we're glad about the decision. I have family in Andulucia, and my cards are on the table for buying property in either Cantabria or Asturias - but we'll see the winter out here first.
  • Re: Northern Spain, Lugo, Leon, Burgos area
    Quote: Hi TravelBugs,

    We've just arrived here in Northern Spain, with most of our time either near Santander, the Picos or in the hills to the south of Laredo. It's the start of November and the weather has been great since arriving Oct 3rd, with occasional mists, mizzle and only a couple of definite showers. A couple of days ago it turned distinctly colder, but it lasted just two days and today has been 25°C. To me, having left the Yorkshire summer two months ago - we've added two months to our summer. As we're interested in a homestead, the growing season is really long here, there's plenty of rainfall not to need irrigation and the summers are temperate enough not to have to dive indoors from the heat. The evenings at the moment are chilly - but I wouldn't say cold. We've lit a fire once due to reduced temperature, but regretted it! Not sure if I've answered your question - but given that we've planned this for 5 years - we're glad about the decision. I have family in Andulucia, and my cards are on the table for buying property in either Cantabria or Asturias - but we'll see the winter out here first.
    Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/ adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

    Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

    Please let me know if you need any further help.

    Rosemary
  • Re: Northern Spain, Lugo, Leon, Burgos area
    Quote: Maybe think about Ponteareas / Ourense? Ourense is lovely and has direct train connections with Vigo to the West, Leon and onto Madrid to the East
    But do bear in mind that Ourense often competes with Cordoba for heat. It has a peculiar micro climate.