Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Non resident bank account

Non resident bank account

Old Oct 2nd 2015, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Non resident bank account

Hi again,
We’re looking to open a non resident Spanish bank account to transfer money to in order to buy a property. I’ve tried to open an online account with BBVA but fell at the first hurdle when asked for an ID number.....No matter what number I tried I got a “document in wrong format” message.
My abogado says that I will need to present a bank draft in the name of the vendor for the final payment in front of the notary, so I’ll probably need a branch account anyway.

Could anyone who has recently purchased a property, as a non resident, offer any advice or recommendation? I’m looking to use a currency transfer company such as moneycorp to transfer funds from my UK bank (Santander).

Apologies for not doing an extensive search of the forum but I only have internet access when at a local bar.
Many thanks for any replies.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:09 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non resident bank account

Get an NIE number from the Spanish consulate in your country,then try online, or present yourself in the bank with a passport and a fistful of dosh.

Transferring money from U.K. to here is a doddle.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

The usual practice is to go to a bank present your NIE and passport for verification that you are non resident- there are forms that need a signature. Then the branch will set up your online account and give you the relevant password and authorisation.

This is to prevent money laundering. Although fraud committed by the big multi national companies when dealing with cash far outweighs whatever could happe n through a private account, they prefer to chase the minnows rather than the sharks!
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
The usual practice is to go to a bank present your NIE and passport for verification that you are non resident- there are forms that need a signature. Then the branch will set up your online account and give you the relevant password and authorisation.

This is to prevent money laundering. Although fraud committed by the big multi national companies when dealing with cash far outweighs whatever could happe n through a private account, they prefer to chase the minnows rather than the sharks!
Thanks Bri & Katee....Unfortunately we haven't got our NIE numbers yet. We are to complete in January and we've been advised to get the NIE numbers nearer the time. However, we still need to transfer money for our abogado, deposit and other fees before we get to the completion stage.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boseley
Get an NIE number from the Spanish consulate in your country,then try online, or present yourself in the bank with a passport and a fistful of dosh.

Transferring money from U.K. to here is a doddle.
Thanks Boseley, We're in Spain at the moment but still struggling with some aspects of the Spanish language. We've been told that the NIE certificate only lasts 3 months, even though the number remains the same. We're looking to complete in January and don't want to have to re-apply at a crucial stage. Thanks again.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 7:05 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer
Thanks Boseley, We're in Spain at the moment but still struggling with some aspects of the Spanish language. We've been told that the NIE certificate only lasts 3 months, even though the number remains the same. We're looking to complete in January and don't want to have to re-apply at a crucial stage. Thanks again.
Just use your passport, most banks will accept that, if not try another.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Quick update:
We've now opened a non-resident account at Sabadell. Only required passports. Took a while & many forms to fill in but very helpful staff :-)
Thanks again for the replies
Old Oct 5th 2015, 10:19 am
Herreño

Quick update:
We've now opened a non-resident account at Sabadell. Only required passports. Took a while & many forms to fill in but very helpful staff :-)
Congratulations!!!!! Big party tonight??
Old Oct 5th 2015, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick update:
Just be prepared for their "imaginative" ways to part you from your money.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 3:09 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
Just be prepared for their "imaginative" ways to part you from your money.
Not in my experience - not paid a centimos in charges for many years now. Plus they give me money back each month!
Old Oct 5th 2015, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Not in my experience - not paid a centimos in charges for many years now. Plus they give me money back each month!
I think the only way to avoid charges is to have your salary or pension paid in which is not much good if you are still resident in the UK.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 5:53 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I think the only way to avoid charges is to have your salary or pension paid in which is not much good if you are still resident in the UK.
Or, as in my case, a lump sum every so often (two or three times a year).
Old Oct 6th 2015, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Or, as in my case, a lump sum every so often (two or three times a year).
That's interesting, who do you bank with? I might give them a go.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 7:00 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
That's interesting, who do you bank with? I might give them a go.
Remember that Snikpoh is a resident not a non resident.

Rosemary
Old Oct 6th 2015, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Remember that Snikpoh is a resident not a non resident.

Rosemary
Believe me if your not a resident they'll charge you anything and everything they can.My son had a non res account with Lloyds Int and on the change over was assured he would be charged the same commissions.Until he discovered that the previously free Sterling account which he had never used now attracted commission.When he brought it up they closed it but wouldn't entertain refunding the money they had taken.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.