Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

NIE Required, Rental and Banking

NIE Required, Rental and Banking

Old Apr 22nd 2016, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NIE Required, Rental and Banking

I know of a member here on BE who lives in the area you are interested, perhaps you could pm him and get some more local information. His name is Leper and is very knowledgable and streetwise. Give him a go.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 4:03 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash Jez
Some friends in the UK lost much of my post or forgot to post it on. Or the dog ate it. Things like that. I was not sure what private suppliers were in the case of Spain.
There are a number of private companies offering just this service.

There are some national ones but I'm sure there are local ones too.
Old May 7th 2016, 1:04 am
Just Joined

AlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond repute

My reading of the situation on first arriving in Spain was to get an address first. This
was with a rental contract without needing an NIE. I then got a bank account with
BBVA registered to my UK address. Still BBVA send statements to the UK even though
I visit the local branch regularly whilst in Spain - where I can update my pass book by
use of an in-office ATM.

Having got a bank account I was able to order a fixed-line telephone (although I had
been able to obtain a pay-as-you-go telephone for cash). Once I had obtained my
green NIE things became a lot simpler.

==
I have an apartado (box number) at the post office. It costs €55 per annum - much
cheaper than the private fee quoted in an earlier posting.
Old May 8th 2016, 11:14 am
Just Joined

jamglasgow is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there I am after some Advice.
In the next 2 years or so myself wife and kids are looking to move across to Spain and I have been in the process of finding out all the information. I am currently at College learning to be a Brick Layer and my wife runs a Toddler group here in Scotland. I have found a lot of Cheap long term rentals which Is good I also have a friend who stays in Malaga and has done for about 7 years now. How do we get a NIE number and does any1 know any good Spainish bank accounts to use. Also would it be easier / cheaper to buy new stuff over there or transport all our stuff from here to there.

Also is there any forums or chats for Malaga as I would like to speak to our people and families and stuff to build friendships over there.
Old May 8th 2016, 11:22 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamglasgow
Hi there I am after some Advice.
In the next 2 years or so myself wife and kids are looking to move across to Spain and I have been in the process of finding out all the information. I am currently at College learning to be a Brick Layer and my wife runs a Toddler group here in Scotland. I have found a lot of Cheap long term rentals which Is good I also have a friend who stays in Malaga and has done for about 7 years now. How do we get a NIE number and does any1 know any good Spainish bank accounts to use. Also would it be easier / cheaper to buy new stuff over there or transport all our stuff from here to there.

Also is there any forums or chats for Malaga as I would like to speak to our people and families and stuff to build friendships over there.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary