Reload this Page >

NIE Required, Rental and Banking

NIE Required, Rental and Banking

Old Apr 18th 2016, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Ash Jez is on a distinguished road
Default NIE Required, Rental and Banking

Hello all.

I am going to be visiting Spain soon for a period of time with a view to moving there full time. I shall be looking for a long term rental and suspect that I may need both an NIE number and Spanish bank account so as to rent.

The questions are, is it easy to obtain an NIE number as a Brit and what is the time scale to obtain one. Do I need this to rent long term accommodation. Further, will I require a Spanish bank account for the purpose of renting and if so, would I have to have the NIE first.

I am aware that website offer this service from within the UK and I do wonder if perhaps to would be an easier option though more expensive. I would prefer the 90 days period on the certificate to start from my arrival in Spain.

Basically, I am hoping to visit Spain (Almeria area) and rent long term without too much delay.

Thanking all for their input.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 5:50 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NIE Required, Rental and Banking

You don't actually need an NIE to rent a property nor to open a bank account. However, some banks and some landlords/agents do insist upon one.

It's dead easy to get an NIE either from the consulate in UK or in Spain when you arrive.

You will certainly need a bank account to make all the necessary utility payments.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I opened my bank account, with Barclays ES, through Barclays in the UK (before they were acquired by Caixa). Didn't need an NIE.

Although the NIE when I did get it was very easy and quick, within the same day.

Note that the NIE is just a number on a register and it does not expire. It is often issued on a plastic card which does expire, but the number doesn't.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

That's handy to know Mike, about opening the account before you leave. Would you have to have a Spanish address to do this?
Old Apr 18th 2016, 2:58 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash Jez
That's handy to know Mike, about opening the account before you leave. Would you have to have a Spanish address to do this?

Unfortunately, it's no longer possible for a number of reasons.

Barclays no longer exist in Spain. Santander in UK is not the same as Santander in Spain. With the recent crisis etc. they now need to see applicants in person.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I fear snikpoh is correct - I just gave the example to say that an NIE was not necessary, we just used our passports..
However, on reflection, the ID rules have tightened up considerably now we have to confirm the identity of all account holders every 2 years, but they only ask for passport and proof of main address, still no NIE requested.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

What address could you provide if you were unable to rent without an NIE. Would a UK address be accepted or maybe that of a friend within Spain?
Old Apr 19th 2016, 5:44 am
Retired and loving it!

What address could you provide if you were unable to rent without an NIE. Would a UK address be accepted or maybe that of a friend within Spain?
... but you CAN rent without an NIE. Some agents will ask for one but many will not insist upon it.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

We didn't have a Spanish address when we first bought but we did get an NIE without it.
If you couldn't buy without an NIE and you couldn't get an NIE without an address then you have a bit of a paradox - Catch22.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 3:04 am
Just Joined

jebll is an unknown quantity at this point

.... is it possible to use a Spanish PO box, as an address to get an nie sorted?
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 6:11 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by jebll
.... is it possible to use a Spanish PO box, as an address to get an nie sorted?
Yes.

Many, many places in Spain don't have a postal service. I, for example, live in the campo. Only 3km from town but we have no postal service. We have to either get a PO box from the local post office or from a private supplier (much cheaper and open 24/7).
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Yes.

Many, many places in Spain don't have a postal service. I, for example, live in the campo. Only 3km from town but we have no postal service. We have to either get a PO box from the local post office or from a private supplier (much cheaper and open 24/7).
If not using the Post Office are there private organisations that offer PO boxes or do you have to rely on friends?
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of "postrooms" that offer all sorts of services including a mail and parcel service.
You can pay monthly but get a better price if you paid for longer periods. We paid annually, around 90€, and they even placed a copy of all the free newspapers, when they were published, into our box for us; very useful when you are new in Spain.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 1:01 pm
Retired and loving it!

Yes.

If not using the Post Office are there private organisations that offer PO boxes or do you have to rely on friends?

Old Apr 22nd 2016, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Some friends in the UK lost much of my post or forgot to post it on. Or the dog ate it. Things like that. I was not sure what private suppliers were in the case of Spain.

Last edited by Ash Jez; Apr 22nd 2016 at 1:13 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.