Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Newbies saying Hi

Newbies saying Hi

Old Sep 9th 2017, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Withavee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbies saying Hi

Morning one and all. Just starting the adventure of exploring a move to Spain from the UK. Started with looking at property sites, they've already started to call us to see how they can help so will slow that down I think.
Have booked tickets for 'A Place in the Sun' at the NEC in a couple of weeks to see what we can learn.

Woke early this morning and thought it might be worth talking/etalking to some of the people who have, or are planning the same and came across your excellent site.

We are fit retirees who like the rural life so first thoughts are edge of town or village location, traditional style with a bit of land. Access to mountains and not too far (less than an hours drive) from the sea.

Shall keep trawling the site and making notes before asking too many questions.

Have a great weekend.

Peter and Cathy
Old Sep 9th 2017, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbies saying Hi

Originally Posted by Withavee
Morning one and all. Just starting the adventure of exploring a move to Spain from the UK. Started with looking at property sites, they've already started to call us to see how they can help so will slow that down I think.
Have booked tickets for 'A Place in the Sun' at the NEC in a couple of weeks to see what we can learn.

Woke early this morning and thought it might be worth talking/etalking to some of the people who have, or are planning the same and came across your excellent site.

We are fit retirees who like the rural life so first thoughts are edge of town or village location, traditional style with a bit of land. Access to mountains and not too far (less than an hours drive) from the sea.

Have a great weekend.

Peter and Cathy
Hi Peter & Cathy,

Welcome to the site. I'm sure you will get plenty of answers to your questions even though some might come through as negative. In my opinion all the discussion on here are genuine.

Research is vital as there are a lot of hoops to jump through to settle here fully legal but if you go through the correct sequence you will find it easier with no problems.

Ask plenty of questions, you will always get an answer!!

Spain is a fantastic place to live with its relaxed lifestyle and of course the weather whether you enjoy living in the campo or in a busy city, like myself, you will find something for everybody.

It's best to stick to specific questions then you will get more informative answers.

Cheers for now,

Steve
Old Sep 9th 2017, 8:53 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Have a great weekend.

Peter and Cathy
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 9th 2017, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to you.When you say you are retirees & looking for a rural lifestyle,remember that the years go quickly & you have to imagine how you cope if/when you are not so capable.Then you would either need to up sticks & move or soldier on wondering why you are no longer"Batman for ever"!Wherever you are in Spain I think the mountain view you seek will not be far away.However the health centre,supermarket & bus links could be a different matter.There are lots of options & I hope you will find a nice place to put down new roots.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps if you imagined that somebody asked you the same question about living somewhere in the UK. It would give you some sort of idea of the questions you might want to ask about Spain.There are a lot of us here and we all probably came for different reasons. I would suggest that as you have retired, you might like to do some touring around, especially as the really hot weather ( should) have now gone away. We were very hot during July/August 40+ on quite a few days, We live in a town in central Andalucia,, and not in an ex pat comunity on the costas, our living costs are much lower than in say, Cataluna, but this is what we chose. Good luck, keep asking questions, getting as much info as possible before looking at houses.
pete
Old Sep 10th 2017, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe check out las Alpujarras, Orgiva, Cadiar etc, Sierra Nevada mountains but only an hour or less to the sea. Costa Tropical
Old Sep 10th 2017, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Withavee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the prompt reply All. Dipping toes into a new forum you always wonder how you will be received, have to say you seem like a great bunch, again, thanks.

Thoughts so far and time scales are to do some research on the regions and try and get a few days in next month to have a look see if we like the look of the places in general. If not, look again etc. If we do, then plan a month in the new year to talk to people (in English so far) and look at a few properties.
Move out towards the end of next year.
I run a small business, <snip> which I plan to sell in the new year so not quite retired myself but did reach 65 last month, Cathy is a few years younger.
Will certainly be back with more questions once we can be a little more specific.

PS - anyone on here live in a cave?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 10th 2017 at 6:51 pm. Reason: Pls re-read Site Rule 9, you cannot link to your website or Facebook page.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

If you are intrerested in cave houses try looking at Guadix. In the mountains
( sierra nevada) and renown for its cave houses. Also went camping in alpujaras with family in August, brilliant!
Pete
Old Sep 11th 2017, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Have a great weekend.

Peter and Cathy
Whatever you do best to rent first for at least a year. You will get a much better idea of where you really want to be. Also will enable you to visit different areas much more easily.
If you opt for Andalucia as well as the Alpujarras ( read Gerald Brennan "South of Granada" ) worth looking at is Antequera - good infrastructure , not far from Malaga and some beautiful villages around
Old Sep 11th 2017, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Whatever you do best to rent first for at least a year. You will get a much better idea of where you really want to be. Also will enable you to visit different areas much more easily.
If you opt for Andalucia as well as the Alpujarras ( read Gerald Brennan "South of Granada" ) worth looking at is Antequera - good infrastructure , not far from Malaga and some beautiful villages around
+1 , Rent for at least a year , by then you should know whats happening with Brexit.