Reload this Page >

Newbie Moving to Spain

Newbie Moving to Spain

Old Mar 26th 2017, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Taurus58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie Moving to Spain

Hi,
I am considering moving to Murcia region of Spain. I have an internet business so can go anywhere with decent internet. I would like to know the basic immigration and work permit requirements ? What do I need to know ? If anyone has an ABC on the basics that would be great.Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 12:53 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie Moving to Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 26th 2017, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Thanks
Old Mar 26th 2017, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Just to cover some basics - presuming you are a UK citizen then you can quite simply move over to Spain to enjoy the freedom to live and work as an EU citizen. Like everyone else, you need to be mindful of what changes may come along in the next few years and see how that all might fit with your personal circumstances.

Someone will come along and give you some specifics, but in general terms you can register at the local town hall in the district in which you reside (own or rent) after three months. This is effectively joining the electoral roll with longer-term benefits. After 183 days of living in Spain (total, not consecutive) you will be deemed to be a fiscal resident by the Spanish tax authorities and your global assets - need to be declared and assessed for tax. That is not to say that more tax has to be paid - and that is where the more knowledgeable on here will doubtless help out.

In day to day terms, as soon as possible after you arrive (or it can be done in London or by giving a trusted Spanish solicitor Power of Attorney) you need to apply for an NIE number (again, similar to our National Insurance number with benefits) you will need to do this to buy or rent a home, a car, open a bank account etc etc etc.

Another issue is healthcare. Your EHIC card will get you by initially but unless you can somehow arrange things that your employment becomes categorised as being self-employed in Spain rather than the UK then you will have to have private health insurance for the entire first year that you live in Spain, after that (provided you have registered with the authorities) you can pay into the local healthcare system at around €63 each per month. For the self-employed it is a different matter but I am not certain enough of the facts to give an opinion.

I am sure I have covered some of the basics but others will be along to correct or add to what I have suggested. Good Luck, and don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you need.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the valuable info and taking time to reply, this is just what I eas looking for.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 5:34 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Kieron, you have missed the most important point which is to register with the police and sign onto the register of foreigners before 90 days. That could be very important when Brexit takes effect.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

NickBarca is an unknown quantity at this point

The most important things to do after arrival are to sort out your NIE and registration with the relevant tax authorities. If you are planning on essentially being self-employed in Spain you will have to register as such, known as being "Autonomo" in Spain.

However it is worth noting that this comes at a cost with full Autonomo fees costing around €360 per month (it is discounted in the first 18 months so you pay 25% first 6 months, 50% next 6 etc)

If you are Autonomo this cost covers your national insurance contributions.

Depending on your earnings level you may wish to look into the Beckham Rule - this allows people moving to Spain to benefit from reduced income tax for the first 5 years of their residency. There are always T&Cs but worth a look to see if you can qualify!
Old Mar 28th 2017, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

'I have an internet business so can go anywhere with decent internet'- that's also will be a deciding factor as to where you go as it varies wildly in Spain depending upon where you are and so do the costs!
Old Mar 28th 2017, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Do get some professional advise regarding the operation of your business. Even if the business is registered in the UK (plc, Ltd. llp etc etc) the simple fact that you conduct your business in Spain may create some difficulty with authorities who seem to make it their business to find problems where there are none.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

DaveT11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
Kieron, you have missed the most important point which is to register with the police and sign onto the register of foreigners before 90 days. That could be very important when Brexit takes effect.
Before 90 days ?