Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is the new anti-smoking law working?

It starts today, at long last!

It is now prohibited to smoke in any enclosed public space, including bars, restaurants and covered terraces. Its also banned in children's parks and outside hospitals.

So, as you go out and about your business in the next few days, take a note if it is working and let everyone know on here.

The fines range from 600-10,000 euros for establishments who let people smoke. If you see someone smoking you can fill in the libro de reclamaciones and then take your copy to the municipal police. More details here (in Spanish)

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/socie...lpepisoc_5/Tes
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:48 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Originally Posted by cricketman
It starts today, at long last!

It is now prohibited to smoke in any enclosed public space, including bars, restaurants and covered terraces. Its also banned in children's parks and outside hospitals.

So, as you go out and about your business in the next few days, take a note if it is working and let everyone know on here.

The fines range from 600-10,000 euros for establishments who let people smoke. If you see someone smoking you can fill in the libro de reclamaciones and then take your copy to the municipal police. More details here (in Spanish)

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/socie...lpepisoc_5/Tes
And about time too
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:49 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

The advice for bars restaurants etc is to call the police if they see someone smoking. So don't just think the fines are for the bar owners. If you smoke and do not stop facing the police is not a nice option.

But controlling the non smoking laws.....................................what a waste of police time.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:14 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I am a non-smoker and hate the smoky bars and having to have a shower and put my clothes in the wash the instant I get home because I and they reek of smoke. It will be nice to have a drink without coughing, having streaming eyes and smelly hair.

However, until smoking is made illegal, I still believe that people who wish to smoke should have a choice. What is wrong with having a smoking room?

I too think it is a complete waste of police time to expect them to police this, the person you have reported will have finished their fag and gone home long since!

Apart from that, I don't think anyone in these parts will take any notice, including the Guardia.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:18 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
I am a non-smoker and hate the smoky bars and having to have a shower and put my clothes in the wash the instant I get home because I and they reek of smoke. It will be nice to have a drink without coughing, having streaming eyes and smelly hair.

However, until smoking is made illegal, I still believe that people who wish to smoke should have a choice. What is wrong with having a smoking room?

I too think it is a complete waste of police time to expect them to police this, the person you have reported will have finished their fag and gone home long since!

Apart from that, I don't think anyone in these parts will take any notice, including the Guardia.
We should have had a poll. I for one think it will work.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=scampicat;9071998]

I too think it is a complete waste of police time to expect them to police this, the person you have reported will have finished their fag and gone home long since!QUOTE]

Yes you can report the person too, but the point is that you can report the establishment, they are responsible and will get a hefty fine. How many small bars can afford a 600 euro plus fine?

I too think it will work, although there may be some teething problems. I am interested to see what people see and experience over the next few days
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I

I'm willing to bet it will work.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:30 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato

I am on an Andalucian hillside too, in a small pueblo blanco in the Sierra Nevada mountains

Our Fiesta starts today. It will be interesting to see how many of our five bars enforce the smoking laws. If I were a betting person, I would bet none!

One of the bar owners says she has a special licence to allow smoking because the bar is also her sitting room. So all will be par for the course in that one then!

I will let you know later!

(edited to add: Just to say that no-one will be happier than me if it DOES work!).

Last edited by scampicat; Jan 2nd 2011 at 8:33 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One of the bar owners says she has a special licence to allow smoking because the bar is also her sitting room. So all will be par for the course in that one then!
She's lying. You cant even smoke at your home office if you receive clients there. The El Pais article explains everything
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:38 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Surprizingly, it has worked quite well in France.
If there's no outdoor terrace, smokers stand outside on the pavement and go back in again to drink. You also see clusters of employees smoking outside their shops/places of work. On the other hand, there are still those who smoke in railway stations and on covered platforms, but they've got time to disappear before Officialdom arrives.
If the usually undisciplined French can obey the rules, more or less, so can their Spanish cousins!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

linjon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Not sure people will stop smoking but I think the ban will mean many people cut down. I am a smoker and definately smoked less over the christmas break whilst visiting UK. I do hope that ashtrays are provided outside establishments as I found the amount of "fag ends" strewn around the back doors of buildings and on the pavements near bars/restaurants was really dreadful.

No doubt statistics in Spain (not usually accurate?) will show by the end of the year that ciggy sales have dropped but how much of that will be due to the economic problems of unemployment, withdrawal of long term benefits etc will be hard to quantify.

On a selfish level (after all, I am an addict), I would prefer a smoking area in bars for the cold winter months but have always been totally in favour of not smoking where people are eating!

Could someone possibly enlighten me on what constitutes a "covered terrace"? Our local village bar has just fitted a bamboo shade over the outside terrace as it is in full sun (usually). Is this also now a non-smoking area I wonder......
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:07 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi,
Surprizingly, it has worked quite well in France.
If there's no outdoor terrace, smokers stand outside on the pavement and go back in again to drink. You also see clusters of employees smoking outside their shops/places of work. On the other hand, there are still those who smoke in railway stations and on covered platforms, but they've got time to disappear before Officialdom arrives.
If the usually undisciplined French can obey the rules, more or less, so can their Spanish cousins!
For the official notice read this.
So who in France gets fined? The bar owners; the person smoking? Who fines the lawbreakers the police; the bar owner?
I have stayed at French hotels many times and surprised at the amount of cig butt ends laying on the ground below the hotel rooms!

Regarding the comment about the smoker leaving the bar before the police arrive. Would a smoker chance that the police have not been called for a previous smoker and the police turn up later in the day or just happen to pass by?
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by linjon
Hi,

Could someone possibly enlighten me on what constitutes a "covered terrace"? Our local village bar has just fitted a bamboo shade over the outside terrace as it is in full sun (usually). Is this also now a non-smoking area I wonder......
You can only smoke in those places that have as a maximum, two walls (out of four) and a roof. So you will be able to smoke on terraces, but not on those winter enclosed terraces that many restaurants have.

"Según la ley, solo se podrá fumar en aquellos lugares que tengan, como mucho, dos paredes y un techo"

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/socie...pepusoc_11/Tes
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by linjon
Hi,

...........No doubt statistics in Spain (not usually accurate?) will show by the end of the year that ciggy sales have dropped .........

The thing about this law is that more bars are allowed to have a machine inside then previous, plus petrol garages will also now be allowed to sell cigs from machines. So now there will be a greater number of point of sales.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
"A poll" Is what they used to have. Any bar that wanted seemed to be able to ask a couple of it's punters if they wanted to smoke. And then post up an A4 declaration that the law didn't apply to them.
A poll would work. It would make every bar a smoking bar to the detriment of all of us, including smokers themselves, bar owners and children. Even smokers benefit from a ban. I have sympathy for smokers having been a 30 a day girl once upon a time.
This has all been said before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.