Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

naturalised spanish citizen

naturalised spanish citizen

Old Jul 20th 2016, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile naturalised spanish citizen

I am just curious (from those brits resident in Spain that have done it) what the process was for becoming a naturalised spanish citizen.
Just people who have done it, rather than what a government website says.
Cheers in advance
Old Jul 20th 2016, 4:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: naturalised spanish citizen

Unless you were born Spanish, or in Portugal, you have to renounce your other citizenship(s).
Old Jul 20th 2016, 4:26 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You have to demonstrate your ability to speak Spanish and also pass a test of your knowledge of Spain across a wide range of subjects.

Example questions here

Test de Nacionalidad Española. Examen 200 preguntas de nacionalidad. Test de prueba CCSE - Parainmigrantes.info
Old Jul 21st 2016, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

The process can take up to two years or so and has various phases. After initial paperwork is completed first will be a check on your financial resources,normally done at the police station, then an interview before a judge with questions in Spanish then wait for confirmation then back to judge to get document which then has to be taken to the police for issue of the ID card. A good "Gestoria" can guide you through the process and charge about Euro 300.- Useful because that way you avoid the queues when you go to the police and when you have the interview with the judge. There has been huge discussion in Spain about how the questions asked can vary from judge to judge and region to region. In my wife's case it was a simple conversation that became a geographical tour of Spain then onto writers, painters and some regional knowledge. Actually ended up swapping restaurant names in some small pueblos that both the judge and my wife knew.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 8:27 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
The process can take up to two years or so and has various phases. After initial paperwork is completed first will be a check on your financial resources,normally done at the police station, then an interview before a judge with questions in Spanish then wait for confirmation then back to judge to get document which then has to be taken to the police for issue of the ID card. A good "Gestoria" can guide you through the process and charge about Euro 300.- Useful because that way you avoid the queues when you go to the police and when you have the interview with the judge. There has been huge discussion in Spain about how the questions asked can vary from judge to judge and region to region. In my wife's case it was a simple conversation that became a geographical tour of Spain then onto writers, painters and some regional knowledge. Actually ended up swapping restaurant names in some small pueblos that both the judge and my wife knew.
Someone I know is still waiting after 3 years - her husbands took 2.5 years before he was 'accepted'.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 12:50 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

When we went through the process, there was no exam, no interview with a Judge, we had to have resided here for 10 years, Criminal R.O. checks in the U.K. certified and translated, birth marriage and certificates certified and translated, proof of income and healthcare.

The renunciation of previous nationality was a signature on a document and is not recognised by our country of birth.

Surrender of the green certificate of residencia, new D.N.I. number and an additional surname.

Time period, I am informed is now between, two to five years-

Armed with my new D.N.I. I tried to register to vote, the female vetting my application, told me that Germans re not allowed to vote in Spanish elections, the silly cow was chastised by an older lady, with a brain, who pointed out that I was not and never had been of German Nationality.................. Ah well.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

The name change was the most complex part - out with the husband's surname and in with the father's surname linked to father on mother's side. Needed some considerable research of old birth certificates to get it right. As a Brazilian allowed to keep her passport plus new Spanish one. On the verge of opening international crime network as at any one time no one knows which country she in - fly out from Spain on Spanish passport, land with Brazilian one and so it goes round.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 4:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Unless you were born Spanish, or in Portugal, you have to renounce your other citizenship(s).
The 'renunciation' you give to naturalise as a Spanish citizen is similar to the pledge in the US naturalisation ceremony and has no legal effect on your British citizenship.