Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

mum's gone to iceland

mum's gone to iceland

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 4:14 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mum's gone to iceland

[QUOTE=big wheels;7624572]
Originally Posted by lynnxa
their own brand ice-cream & desserts are yummy & about half the price of the Mercadona own brand! (so that's the end of the diet)QUOTE]

Our local Mercadonas own brand ice cream is €1.10 a ltr. So are you saying that icelands is around 55cents a ltr??
same price in our Mercadona - & yes, a tub twice the size is 1.25!

the vanilla is not quite as vanilla-y, but it's creamy - not icy as you might expect from something 'cheap'
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

"Good Quality" frozen chips , ice-cream & desserts is a contradiction!!!yuk!

Live in Spain and then go out your way to eat _hite quality english food Not for me!

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 11:29 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
"Good Quality" frozen chips , ice-cream & desserts is a contradiction!!!yuk!

Live in Spain and then go out your way to eat _hite quality english food Not for me!

Rgds

Rotor
that's not really the point

anyway the Spanish eat chips, ice cream & desserts too!

and what's more they are buying them from Iceland

the point is, the quality is better than I expected, & item for item (those that can be compared) Iceland has equal quality at lower prices than Mercadona

yes, some people are going back to living on the convenience food that they sell - that's up to them

not us though - we are eating just as we were before Iceland opened - it's just that the occasional 'treats' are now costing us less
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It's probably because they don't rip you off on the prices, unlike a lot of other shops selling "Brit Food".

My shopping list in Iceland is Zoflora disinfectant, Waitrose blackcurrant squash, malt loaf & occasionally cereals when they have the unsugary types..... so I can't comment on much, and Lynnxa's talking about specific items she can compare. However I'd take issue with the 'don't rip off' assertion; having looked at packets saying £1 or £2, or whatever, their exchange rate - often as much as €2.50 for a £1 item - makes the most extraordinary mark-up. And yes I know they have to be transported, but I remember in another thread someone worked it out nicely for us (memory won't tell me who) & they do charge extortionate prices on some things.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 1:54 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Well, my my experience that is not the case.

The items that I have bought have been marked in GBP and the exchange rate was about 10-15% higher than the commercial rates.

For example, 4 weeks ago,

Haddock £4/€5
Kippers £2.5/€3.15
Bacon £3.5/€4.4

I make that an exchange rate of 1.26 against the commercial rate on the day of 1.13.

On my calculator that's a markup of 11.5%

I am more than happy to be ripped off at that rate!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 2:18 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Fred James
Well, my my experience that is not the case.

The items that I have bought have been marked in GBP and the exchange rate was about 10-15% higher than the commercial rates.

For example, 4 weeks ago,

Haddock £4/€5
Kippers £2.5/€3.15
Bacon £3.5/€4.4

I make that an exchange rate of 1.26 against the commercial rate on the day of 1.13.

On my calculator that's a markup of 11.5%

I am more than happy to be ripped off at that rate!
things marked at a pound UK are 1.25 euros in my local store

that's not a huge mark-up so I don't mind paying

our local 'brit' corner shop was selling tins of choccies you can buy in the UK for a couple of quid for 10 euros at xmas

needless to say we went without