Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Movistar Pin Numbers

Movistar Pin Numbers

Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:44 am
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Movistar Pin Numbers

I am sure this may have been dealt with before, but I cannot find anything when I search. Apologies for asking again. I have forgotten the pin number given to me when I bought my Movistar sim card last Sept. I want to put some more money on it on my CAM bank website to save buying yet another sim card when we go in April. Does anyone know where I can find the number or is it not possible on PAYG phones?
Old Jan 31st 2006, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Movistar Pin Numbers

Underneath the battery of your phone are some numbers. If you call movistar and give them one of these numbers they should be able to unlock the phone.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 5:16 pm
Mortgage Wizard

Originally Posted by j0197
Underneath the battery of your phone are some numbers. If you call movistar and give them one of these numbers they should be able to unlock the phone.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply. However, I have no number for Movistar as I have lost the little booklet you get when you buy the sim card. Also surely if I only bought the sim Movistar would have no record of my phone and any numbers on it?
Old Jan 31st 2006, 5:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill Stevens
I am sure this may have been dealt with before, but I cannot find anything when I search. Apologies for asking again. I have forgotten the pin number given to me when I bought my Movistar sim card last Sept. I want to put some more money on it on my CAM bank website to save buying yet another sim card when we go in April. Does anyone know where I can find the number or is it not possible on PAYG phones?
Not sure but you might find if you have not had credit on it for a while it might have been "removed from service or disconnected" dont really know what they call it.
They usually give you a warning that it needs to be topped up before such a date.
You only need the phone number to top up the credit in most shops here.

You can top up on line here http://www.telefonicainenglish.com/

Last edited by jdr; Jan 31st 2006 at 5:32 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Vodafone killed my SIM after 6 months of no top ups, even though I used it a couple of times, during the period. I was also trying to remotely top-up (and failing on their miserable site) at the time

Anyway, the number referred to elsewhere is the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) and can be displayed on most phones by dialing the code *#06# The IMEI is also usually printed on the compliance plate under the battery, as mentioned.

With the SIM inserted and the phone switched on and connected to their network, Telefonica may be able to override/reset your SIM PIN remotely if you can contact them, either on the mobile phone or by land-line, though they may take a lot of convincing to do it and may rightly refuse (SIM PINs are there mostly to stop people using the SIM if the phone is stolen).
Old Jan 31st 2006, 7:35 pm
Mortgage Wizard

I have only had the sim card for 5 months so it shouldn't be switched off yet. However without a pin number I cannot get the phone on for Telefonica to override the pin. I also cannot press *#06# to get the number without first putting in the pin number so its catch 22.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

I have only had the sim card for 5 months so it shouldn't be switched off yet. However without a pin number I cannot get the phone on for Telefonica to override the pin. I also cannot press *#06# to get the number without first putting in the pin number so its catch 22.
Try a google search on things like "unlocking SIM PIN". There's bound to be a phone techie somewhere that gives the answer on a technical forum. I'm sure it should be possible to override it.

If you know anyone in Spain that can top it up at a local shop, they only need to give the phone number and 5 EUR. If you exceed the time during which a top up keeps your balance 'live', then you get more chances later. I went over the date and received a reminder message with an extended period a few days later. Thankfully, since I still had a significant balance (don't use it much - no mates to call ;-) )
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

This pin number you talk about, I think you will find impossible to retrieve, also I think the guesses are limited to stop anyone else using the card.
When you get the next card, change the pin to something like your birth year or you can change it to not asking for one.
*#06# gives the IMEI number which is not what you need, that is only relevent to the phone not the sim.

Just looked on the web and it seems you can "Get a PIN Unblocking Key (PUK) number. This is a permanently assigned number to each phone. Each customer will get 10 incidental attempts to utilize the PUK identifier at which time the SIM Card will permanently disable itself, requiring replacement. If you enter the PUK successfully before 10 attempts, the phone then prompts you to enter a new PIN and you will have 10 new attempts to enter the PUK if you forget your PIN again the future. "
So you need to contact phone makers to get PUK number.

Last edited by jdr; Jan 31st 2006 at 8:23 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
This pin number you talk about, I think you will find impossible to retrieve, also I think the guesses are limited to stop anyone else using the card.
When you get the next card, change the pin to something like your birth year or you can change it to not asking for one.
*#06# gives the IMEI number which is not what you need, that is only relevent to the phone not the sim.

Just looked on the web and it seems you can "Get a PIN Unblocking Key (PUK) number. This is a permanently assigned number to each phone. Each customer will get 10 incidental attempts to utilize the PUK identifier at which time the SIM Card will permanently disable itself, requiring replacement. If you enter the PUK successfully before 10 attempts, the phone then prompts you to enter a new PIN and you will have 10 new attempts to enter the PUK if you forget your PIN again the future. "
So you need to contact phone makers to get PUK number.
The IMEI number is usually required by the network operator before they will attempt any remote operations on the phone. I indicated this in my previous post - I did not say that this number was the SIM PIN number. However, thinking further, without the SIM PIN the phone won't lock onto a network operator, so there is nothing they can do about it anyway.

Telefonica Movistar Atención Clientes number is 0800-321-1111 (Spanish) I believe, in case they can be of help.

I sincerely doubt that there is any easy, or cost-effective way (in this instance), of hacking the SIM PIN. They are intended to be secure. As suggested you could use the PUK to give you a second chance. If you screw the PUK up more than the permitted attempts, some phones will disable themselves and require even more involved procedures. PUK is usually in the documentation that came with the phone.

Last edited by Unexpat; Jan 31st 2006 at 11:29 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

If it's anything like my MOVISTAR Pay as you go phone, when you buy the phone you get a SIM card with your phone number. I top up the phone number by going to my Spanish bank (BBVA) and entering the phone number and then they ask for your BBVA security code. Hey presto, the Mobil is topped up. So I don't understand why you can't top up your phone with minimum as you know your phone number !

In the package I received with the phone, a sealed orange envelope contained the SIM card and had two additional numbers (apart from the phone number!) . These are "Código de Seguridad" (PIN) or personal ID number, which was 4 numbers and which I changed to 4 numbers I could remember (my year of birth)! When you switch on the mobile, you are asked to insert your 4 numbered PIN first before you can get connected. Then there is a "Código de Desbloqueo" (PUK) or personal unblocking key. The phone number of my phone was on a label on the back of the Guia del Cliente, guidebook.

On the SIM envelope it gives 2 phone numbers you can call for Information.
609 when calling from your MOVISTAR mobile, and 1485 when calling from a telephone. Website: www.movistar.com
Old Feb 1st 2006, 2:53 pm
Mortgage Wizard

Originally Posted by Nige
If it's anything like my MOVISTAR Pay as you go phone, when you buy the phone you get a SIM card with your phone number. I top up the phone number by going to my Spanish bank (BBVA) and entering the phone number and then they ask for your BBVA security code. Hey presto, the Mobil is topped up. So I don't understand why you can't top up your phone with minimum as you know your phone number !

In the package I received with the phone, a sealed orange envelope contained the SIM card and had two additional numbers (apart from the phone number!) . These are "Código de Seguridad" (PIN) or personal ID number, which was 4 numbers and which I changed to 4 numbers I could remember (my year of birth)! When you switch on the mobile, you are asked to insert your 4 numbered PIN first before you can get connected. Then there is a "Código de Desbloqueo" (PUK) or personal unblocking key. The phone number of my phone was on a label on the back of the Guia del Cliente, guidebook.

On the SIM envelope it gives 2 phone numbers you can call for Information.
609 when calling from your MOVISTAR mobile, and 1485 when calling from a telephone. Website: www.movistar.com
As I have lost the sim card pack and the booklet which came with it from Carrefour I am stuffed. I can top up the phone which is what I am waiting to do with CAM Bank, but the credit on it will not be a lot of use to me if I cannot get the phone on without the pin. I did not change the pin number as all the menus were obviously in spanish. The guy in the shop changed the language over but it defaulted back to spanish anyway.

I am in the UK so cannot use the phone numbers you gave me and the movistar website is in spanish. I can understand a little but not enough to be able to suss out what to do without a pin number.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Yes I do understand all that. You can Top Up your phone with the minimum amount as suggested earlier, either by getting someone in Spain to go to a Movistar topping up service or online with your bank or online elsewhere. Then when you go in April you can use the Help numbers I gave with all the information you have ! It sounds as though you will need a Spanish speaking friend to sort that one out.

If you want to talk to a MOVISTAR operator from outside Spain, you can dial +34 609 100 609. I do not know if they have an English speaking help operator but maybe worth trying?

Or just start again with a new SIM card.

You can change the phone language from Espanol to English usually in Settings.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

You need to contact Movistar. You can do this on 00 34 609 100 609.

Regards

Loco

As I have lost the sim card pack and the booklet which came with it from Carrefour I am stuffed. I can top up the phone which is what I am waiting to do with CAM Bank, but the credit on it will not be a lot of use to me if I cannot get the phone on without the pin. I did not change the pin number as all the menus were obviously in spanish. The guy in the shop changed the language over but it defaulted back to spanish anyway.

I am in the UK so cannot use the phone numbers you gave me and the movistar website is in spanish. I can understand a little but not enough to be able to suss out what to do without a pin number.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Give your phone makers the IMIE number for the puk number and give it a go to change the pin.

See my link Telefonica in English ???? Telefonica own moviestar.

Last edited by jdr; Feb 1st 2006 at 6:02 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
See my link Telefonica in English ???? Telefonica own moviestar.
The web site you are referring to is not actually set up by Telefonica but by private enterprise "Victoria´s Call SL" of Benalmadena Costa who are acting as a sort of Agency. I am not saying that they are not going to be helpful in this case, but I did note that "Unfortunatly the online Movistar recharge service will be unavailable over the Christmas period."
This is not promising as we already in February.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.