Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving/working in Spain from NZ

Moving/working in Spain from NZ

Old Oct 21st 2016, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Mick01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving/working in Spain from NZ

Looking for some advise or in fact answers please guys.

I've tried the working visa etc but due to my age 40+ its a no go. I'm from New Zealand and love the south of Spain and after a recent divorce are looking to relocate and try a different lifestyle. I'd love to purchase a bar and after research they are readily available from Malaga to Marbella which is my preferred destination and one I'm familiar with. If I held a UK passport no problem I could move tomorrow but a little more restricted with an NZ one.

Have contacted the Spanish Embassy in NZ with no luck, does anyone know of any suggestions that doesn't require me marrying a local to stay haha

Does anyone have any experiences of colleagues or friends attempting this, I have sufficient funds to prove I can purchase a business or indeed live without work for a long period whilst looking.

Thank You
Old Oct 21st 2016, 7:46 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving/working in Spain from NZ

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 21st 2016, 7:51 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I will warn you at the offset that you will have a great deal of negative responses. This will not be people being negative for the sake of it but genuine experiences or knowledge of others experiences. They will say it as it is not necessarily as what people wish to hear. So many new members ask this sort of question and then complain that they are not gaining positive feedback but in the Spain forum we believe in being truthful and as honest as we can be.

Rosemary
Old Oct 21st 2016, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mick01

I've tried the working visa etc but due to my age 40+ its a no go. I'm from New Zealand and love the south of Spain and after a recent divorce are looking to relocate and try a different lifestyle. I'd love to purchase a bar and after research they are readily available from Malaga to Marbella which is my preferred destination and one I'm familiar with. If I held a UK passport no problem I could move tomorrow but a little more restricted with an NZ one.

Have contacted the Spanish Embassy in NZ with no luck, does anyone know of any suggestions that doesn't require me marrying a local to stay haha

Does anyone have any experiences of colleagues or friends attempting this, I have sufficient funds to prove I can purchase a business or indeed live without work for a long period whilst looking.

Thank You

New Zealanders are advised that only the country they plan to visit can provide up-to-date information on specific visa requirements and the associated costs and procedures for obtaining these. Travellers should therefore contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of the countries they intend to visit, well in advance of departure from New Zealand. The New Zealand Embassy cannot assist with obtaining visas or providing information on the application process, either before or after departure from New Zealand.

So you would have to contact the office in Spain. You really have to do plenty of research when it comes to opening a bar in Spain and what about language? Easier option would be getting an Irish passport, any Irish grandparents?
Old Oct 21st 2016, 10:11 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You
You know why there are plenty to buy?, because the people wanting to sell have been unable to make a living. People from the UK are regularly buying/leasing bars in those areas, and within 6 months are desperately trying to find another mug to take it off their hands because they came to Spain with the idea of living and making money from a bar, but it, usually, doesn't work, far too many bars, far too few people visiting to fill them all. The ones that are making a success are, usually, ones staffed by relatives that they don't need to pay, or pay only subsistance rates, anyone needing to make a living to support a family etc will have real difficulties.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Easier option would be getting an Irish passport, any Irish grandparents?
What's easier to do in Spain with an Irish passport ?

My grandad was from Dublin. Could I obtain an Irish passport ?
Old Oct 21st 2016, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably. It is worth a try. Then you will have an EU passport
Old Oct 21st 2016, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maur-Ross
Probably. It is worth a try. Then you will have an EU passport
Hmmmm 🤔 Lol

Nah probably need an address in Ireland anyway which I don't have.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Not nexessarily. Irish Embassies have been inundated since Brexit
Old Oct 21st 2016, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
Hmmmm 🤔 Lol

Nah probably need an address in Ireland anyway which I don't have.
No you don't . You just need to get registered using the lineage of your grandfather. They have a special Foreign Births Register
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Suziewong is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving/working in Spain from NZ

Thank You
It´s not the best time to invest in Spain a business, but there are always possibilities to make it out! If you don´t speak Spanish, maybe you need someone local to help you. To buy a business is easy, to mantain it and make money is difficult, there are too many bars in the area you are looking for, maybe a good position and good chef is what you need. About the paper work, just need to ask NZ embassy in Spain.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Suziewong
It´s not the best time to invest in Spain a business, but there are always possibilities to make it out! If you don´t speak Spanish, maybe you need someone local to help you. To buy a business is easy, to mantain it and make money is difficult, there are too many bars in the area you are looking for, maybe a good position and good chef is what you need. About the paper work, just need to ask NZ embassy in Spain.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Suziewong
Sorry off topic but can I ask are you suzie wong who makes all the boxing attire for all the professionals ?