Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

MOVING TO SPAIN PRIOR BREXIT

MOVING TO SPAIN PRIOR BREXIT

Old Aug 2nd 2017, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

CHRISJK is an unknown quantity at this point
Question MOVING TO SPAIN PRIOR BREXIT

Hi, I am a "Newbie" on here, so please be gentle with me... lol. My Wife and I are looking to move to Spain in two or three years time, but we are worried that we will lose out on free Healthcare etc when we finally leave the EU. So what we are thinking of doing is renting somewhere and then Applying for residence, which I understand we have to do if we stay for more than 90 Days. Then when we leave the EU we will possibly still get the free Healthcare and permission to Stay in Spain for longer than the 90 Day limit that looks like will be imposed on non Residents. Chris
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOVING TO SPAIN PRIOR BREXIT

Are you or your husband state retirement age? Currently to get free healthcare in spain paid for by the UK you must be state retirement age and in receipt of old age pension. To get the residency you mention you will have to prove you have either full private healthcare or in receipt of S1 form from NHS for pensioners. If you have any the S1 form you will be removed from normal NHS healthcare in UK . You also to get residency need to prove an address and as not an house owner a set amount in a Spanish bank there are other options. After Brexit at the moment ?
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Are you or your husband state retirement age? Currently to get free healthcare in spain paid for by the UK you must be state retirement age and in receipt of old age pension. To get the residency you mention you will have to prove you have either full private healthcare or in receipt of S1 form from NHS for pensioners. If you have any the S1 form you will be removed from normal NHS healthcare in UK . You also to get residency need to prove an address and as not an house owner a set amount in a Spanish bank there are other options. After Brexit at the moment ?
That's not strictly true. The rules have changed and updated 19th July 2017.

Follow link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-hospital-care

Steve

Last edited by tebo53; Aug 3rd 2017 at 3:03 am. Reason: Added information
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 6:28 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CHRISJK
Hi, I am a "Newbie" on here, so please be gentle with me... lol. My Wife and I are looking to move to Spain in two or three years time, but we are worried that we will lose out on free Healthcare etc when we finally leave the EU. So what we are thinking of doing is renting somewhere and then Applying for residence, which I understand we have to do if we stay for more than 90 Days. Then when we leave the EU we will possibly still get the free Healthcare and permission to Stay in Spain for longer than the 90 Day limit that looks like will be imposed on non Residents. Chris
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
That's not strictly true. The rules have changed and updated 19th July 2017.
Yes I am aware of that and that is why I said "normal" as if you are using an S1 you will be removed (or should be) from registration at your current UK doctors. The OP indicates that they plan a stay of possibly 90 days plus not full residency so I presume would want to remain registered full time with UK doctor? Of course post Brexit who knows re that 2015 change it was meant for all expats but when implemented only applied to those resident in EU, will it apply after Brexit? How long is a piece of string😃
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 1:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Bob, I think you are making a big assumption that the DWP have any idea who your doctor is or really care. I am pretty sure it is down to the local health authority and it's a big ask to think they talk to the DWP. On the other hand, I suppose miracles happen so it's good to know that there is a risk.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No doubt Fred but if you know you can decide yourself re risk. It was just that the op mentioned this as temp measure bit like I plan to do. However I wouldn't be using S1 initially (but hope to do so at state pension age ). I tried to be explain the way it should be done but how one does it is up to the individual.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bobd22
Yes I am aware of that and that is why I said "normal" as if you are using an S1 you will be removed (or should be) from registration at your current UK doctors. The OP indicates that they plan a stay of possibly 90 days plus not full residency so I presume would want to remain registered full time with UK doctor? Of course post Brexit who knows re that 2015 change it was meant for all expats but when implemented only applied to those resident in EU, will it apply after Brexit? How long is a piece of string� ����
Yes we wish to spend over 90 days but not over 183 days, so we can get Residency before Brexit. So we don't really have to use the S1 ? As we will be Living in the UK for 7 to 9 Months a year we will still want to remain in the NHS. My Wife is receiving the State pension but I wont qualify for that for another 3 years. I understand that because my wife qualifies for Free Healthcare in Spain, then I will also because I am a Dependant. I also understand that if we go for this option then we would lose our NHS entitlement in the UK ? So we are prepared to Pay for Private Healthcare in Spain, so we can still receive the NHS in the UK.

Last edited by CHRISJK; Aug 3rd 2017 at 7:26 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is as you say, to get residency you will have to have medical cover equivalent to the Spanish NHS standard to pass the process. This you can do with Private Health Insurance, or an S1.Sorry, a bit catch .22 in the circs. You will be aware that you also have to pass a financial means test.

Last edited by lurchio; Aug 3rd 2017 at 8:04 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CHRISJK
Yes we wish to spend over 90 days but not over 183 days, so we can get Residency before Brexit. So we don't really have to use the S1 ? As we will be Living in the UK for 7 to 9 Months a year we will still want to remain in the NHS. My Wife is receiving the State pension but I wont qualify for that for another 3 years. I understand that because my wife qualifies for Free Healthcare in Spain, then I will also because I am a Dependant. I also understand that if we go for this option then we would lose our NHS entitlement in the UK ? So we are prepared to Pay for Private Healthcare in Spain, so we can still receive the NHS in the UK.
That is pretty much what I plan to do as we own a property in Spain which we hope to retire to just after Brexit. I am hoping that way when I get to state retirement age 4 months after proposed Brexit both myself and my wife can use the S1 but at the moment that is not a certainty.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lurchio
Problem is as you say, to get residency you will have to have medical cover equivalent to the Spanish NHS standard to pass the process. This you can do with Private Health Insurance, or an S1.Sorry, a bit catch .22 in the circs. You will be aware that you also have to pass a financial means test.
Yes we are aware of the Financial means test, I believe that its only around 600 Euros each per month, which is fine. BUT..... Will this "soft" residency IE not Tax Residency be enough to guarantee us Future Residency after Brexit ?
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 9:24 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Under the present rules you only get permanent residency rights after 5 years of living legally in Spain.

That is part of the EU directive on residency which applies to all member states including the UK.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
Under the present rules you only get permanent residency rights after 5 years of living legally in Spain.

That is part of the EU directive on residency which applies to all member states including the UK.
Yes I was aware of the 5 year Residency, but I was referring to TAX Residency, which is between the two mentioned. I believe that you become a TAX Resident automatically after you have been in the Country 183 Days.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:09 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Brexit *may* take up to a decade, so if you make the move now, you might be able to manage it. I also expect the EU will be far more lenient with British expats than the UK will be with European expats in Britain.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 7:12 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Brexit *may* take up to a decade, so if you make the move now, you might be able to manage it. I also expect the EU will be far more lenient with British expats than the UK will be with European expats in Britain.
Not sure how you come to that conclusion. The Withdrawal Treaty including reciprocal citizens' rights will have to be ratified by all EU27, including the likes of Poland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.